Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: Do you treat your roof with a UV protectant?
Yes 3 33.33%
NO 6 66.67%
Whats that? 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
thanket

Question TPO Roof: Treat or not treat?

I have a 2016 Cougar 333MKS. I have owned trailers in the past but have not kept them long enough to worry about treating the roof. LOL Hopefully this will be the last one for a while. My friends treat their roofs with a UV protectant and I was going to do the same. I was doing some research and found that most companies do not recommend treating the roof. They say that a UV protectant is built into the roof and that the only maintenance is to wash the roof 3 to 4 times a year and of course check all seams and so forth. Just wondering what everyone else does or recommends.
thanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I wash mine regularly and treat with Aerospace 303 annually.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
geobet

According to the manufacturer, wash the roof 3 - 4 times per year with Dawn, Simple Green, Spic & Span or Murphy's Oil Soap. No further treatment is necessary. Definitely do not use any product containing petroleum distillates. If you do choose to treat the roof with sealer or 303, it might get slippery than you'd ever thought. These modern membranes are pretty much wash it and forget it - just don't forget to check all your caulking points while you're up there.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
thanket

That is what I have been reading.
thanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

My fifth wheel is "in the pole barn" about 6 or 7 months of the year. During those times I don't worry about the roof membrane. During the rest of the year it sits beside the garage, in the sun and I wash it about every 2 months, sometimes more often and always apply Aerospace 303 to the entire RV (roof and exterior walls) after it dries.

Here's what DICOR has to say about UV protection in their Roof Maintenance Guide:
"Get some UV protection. Most RVers spend a lot of time in the sunny climates. The steady beat of the sun and its UV rays on your roof can cause oxidation to occur. The chalk-like powder that’s the result of this oxidation is the equivalent of a sunburn that turns your skin brown to protect it from the sun’s rays. If you feel the need to add extra UV protection, you need a protectant with a UV inhibitor like Dicor’s Roof Gard. A coating like this is also a great dirt inhibitor, as its chemical formulation makes it harder for dirt and other stuff to stick to your roof. Prior to application, we recommend thoroughly cleaning your roof (see Roof Cleaning, Page 4). Then, with your RV out of direct sunlight, simply spray it on and use a soft cloth or sponge mop to evenly spread it around. Bingo, you’re done! To maintain maximum results, we suggest reapplying Roof Gard every three to five weeks or after your next cleaning. If you have a regular cleaning schedule apply it each time you clean
the roof."

While it may not be "necessary" to provide additional UV protection to the roof membrane, I've never seen any data to suggest it's harmful. So, I suppose each of us needs to make our own decision on what we do to maintain our roof and how often we do it.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
mfifield01

I wash it and treat it every 6 months. I use 303 on it. The UV is pretty harsh in TX.

Tags
roof