Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
michol02

32SAB Mods

Iv'e been busy doin some mods. Some of the ideas came from this forum(thanks).
1. Added BAL stabilizers and bolted pieces of composite "deck boarding" to the bottom of the jacks, so I can just jack them up and go(no problem with ground clearance when jacks are up). Additional jacks added to middle of trailer.
2. Didn't like the 2nd door in bath(I think I can walk 3 more feet to go to the can), so I built a 12" deep storage cabinet with laundry hamper. It blocks pathway at foot of bed, but I can do without that.
3. Wall on side of frig. was warped from vent leak and I didn't feel like haulin it to the dealer and waiting for them to order a new wall(leak and damage was minimal), so I removed the warped panel, used it to trace out a pattern onto a piece of fake brick panel I bought at Lowes, stapled it up, and put a fake fireplace in front of it(used extra paneling for base under fireplace). I found a piece of wallpaper border in my attic, trimmed it with wood molding, and stapled it to the new wall.
4. Added 20 amp service(plug behind stove and plug behind fireplace). Ran HD cord along side of my 30 amp cord to plug into shore power.
Other mods: added 2nd frig under computer desk, added wall switches for overhead lights in all rooms, replaced most light bulbs with LEDs, added cabinets to dead space under pantry and over microwave, removed bottom drawer by door to make cubbyhole for everyone's shoes.
I'm workin on a few more mods and will post them soon.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2A.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	800

Name:	2C.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	801

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	802

Name:	1A.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	803

Name:	1B.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	804

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
f6bits

I really like the brick wall idea. I also like the idea of adding the composite wood to the jack feet. Mine are very extended most of the time I camp.

Were the mid-body jacks really necessary? I figure the trailer frame should be rigid enough that the corner jacks do a good enough job with the suspension providing enough vertical stability in the middle.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
michol02

I only use the mid body jacks to level the trailer if it is off a little bit. If its far off level, I block under the tires.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by michol02 View Post
Iv'e been busy doin some mods. Some of the ideas came from this forum(thanks).
2. Didn't like the 2nd door in bath(I think I can walk 3 more feet to go to the can), so I built a 12" deep storage cabinet with laundry hamper. It blocks pathway at foot of bed, but I can do without that. NICE
3. Wall on side of frig. was warped from vent leak and I didn't feel like haulin it to the dealer and waiting for them to order a new wall(leak and damage was minimal), so I removed the warped panel, used it to trace out a pattern onto a piece of fake brick panel I bought at Lowes, stapled it up, and put a fake fireplace in front of it(used extra paneling for base under fireplace). I found a piece of wallpaper border in my attic, trimmed it with wood molding, and stapled it to the new wall.Very NIce add on

Other mods: added wall switches for overhead lights in all rooms, How hard was this and did you use regular household electric parts?
I want one for our bedroom lights and the single light in the hallway by bathroom.
I'm workin on a few more mods and will post them soon.cant wait to see them.
Thanks Randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
michol02

For the light switch in the B.R., I fished wire(16 guage speaker wire) from the light fixture, through the ceiling(have about a 3" gap between ceiling panel and actual roof) to the wall. For this one, I went to an outside wall , so I drilled a small hole in the ceiling real close to the wall and fished the wire (coming from the light)through this hole(a bit tricky), then ran the wire down to the switch(encased it with plastic conduit for looks). For the switch, I used an RV light switch I bought ]at my local rv parts store. This switch was made to be countersunk into the wall, and I didn"t want to cut a hole in my exterior wall, so I bought a second switch, and used just the case, turned backward and butted up against the other to make a "box" , and screwed it to the wall.Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	812 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0085.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	813

For the other lights, I traced the wires from the lights to interior walls, tapped into the hot wire, and mounted switches(countersunk) about eye level. Much easier than an exterior wall.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0074.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	811

Old 12-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
byrdr1

Thanks..
I have a winter projects list now?
randy

Randy "Camp On"