Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
lamarce

Unknown leak to Outback HELP ???

I have owned my Keystone Outback since 2006; 27 ft with 5 ft pull out at the end and one slide slide camper trailer. At the time it was "new" but returned because the previous buyer "wanted a larger unit." I was not informed about any leaks or prior problems by the dealer, I found out after pulling out all the paper work recently and the repair list was placed in folded up hidden to me at the time of purchase. At the time of purchase they denied any problems at all. Now, I have the whole master floor rotted out and in the the middle of replacement of it since I still owe a good amount on it and have no other choice. I had no idea of any leaking issues on the camper or this model. I LOVE the camper but now I am seeking advice and what to ues to replace the sub flooring. I still cannot find any leak anywhere. I feel it leaks at the one/or both of the storage compartment doors at the front of the camper on each side (front and back). If so, has any one encountered such a problem and how to solve/repair or deal with it. There is NO obvious leaks anywhere but seems to be contained at the tonuge end of the camper. At one time I had a closed tool box filled with water that was in the compartment next to the back storage comparment door which was closed and locked the floor was dry. No obvious leak, just water inside the tool box filled to the top. From time to time after a rain I have seen some (small amount) water here and there but on ovious leak any where??? HELP? Thanks,

Marc
lamarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Englishman

If it was me i would use marine ply. but you will need to find the leak first if possible. Good luck with the repairs.
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
lamarce

Thanks, I tried to fine marine grade plywood in my area but couldn't. When I did it was to thick to match the thickness of the remaining floor. I feel the leak is from around the two storage doors (front and back at the tounge end and around where the water hook-up is. I could see day light around the water connections. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. The reason I feel the the two storage doors leak is I had plastic tool box sitting in front of the door and it was filled to the top with water. There is no other way water could of gotten into a closed container (Leaked around the handle on top of the box) but it was full. This was after a rainstorm. Apparently it has leaked for a while and I wasn't aware of it until I started tearing the flooring up and saw the disaster I had. The whole floor in the Master Bed room has to be replaced. I am disappointed in the maker if the knew of such problems the should of notified the customer. Apparently from what I have been reading, leaks are common place for Keystone campers. I didn't know this prior to my purchase.
lamarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Leaks are commonplace in virtually all campers, not just Keystone products. The same door/frame assemblies are used by every manufacturer and the technology to seal them is the same. Admittedly, some manufacturers tend to use more sealant than others, getting a better seal around the frame, but the other side of that coin is that there is a larger mess to clean up once the frame is squeezed into position. Countless threads here and other forums warn owners to check, double check, triple check doors, windows, roof structures for leaks or the indication that it "MAY" start to leak and stay ahead of the game.

One poster on here gives detailed instructions on how he removed and sealed his baggage doors because of exactly what you're seeing on your RV. Look at: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3526

Hopefully, this link will help you get things sealed and dry.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Outbackmel

Leak detection

I have a 2011 Outback 5er and found "puddling", under the kitchen cabinet. After many frustrating attempts to find the source, wife suggested using plain white paper towels in the suspected compartment. Took her advice. (first time in 47 years we have been together ) Well, one small screw hole in the outdoor cook stove compartment was allowing water from the "non seated" faucet to slowly drip down and into the RV...was driving me nuts.
Fixed the water drip and presto; all good. I found it by placing paper towels on the entire floor space under the sink. Thank goodness it was an EZ find and solution. The paper towels quickly showed where the density of water was, then just scouted and found the culprit.

Never had a "serious" problem as we leave our RV on a site 95% of the time and turn the water off every time we leave.

Just a thought on tracking a leak. Good luck
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Txoutback

Here is a good link detailing how to repair a door leak: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3526 I'm the "other guy" with the leaking pass-through storage door and sealed it as Bob detailed. Using the tape makes cleanup a breeze.

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote