Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #1
homer3

NOT a Back-up Camera

I have a camera installed on my 5ver that is not a Back-up Camera, but actually used to assist my viewing of freeway traffic behind me while driving. It helps tremendously. Question for you techies out there. The current connections are S-video. In using adapters to convert from S-video to RCA I get no signal. I purchased the adapters at Frye's Electronics. The guy told me I would loose my audio feed. Well I have no picture as well. Does anyone have any ideas, or do you just think that the camera maybe S-video only output.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
denverpilot

NOT a Back-up Camera

Not enough/correct info. "RCA" is a connector type often used by both "composite video" (a single RCA connector), and "component video" (multiple RCA connectors).

Which are you going from and to:

S-Video (usually done over a mini-DIN connector)
Composite Video (single RCA connector)
Component Video (multiple RCA connectors).
Old 08-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
bsmith0404

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, that is done all of the time. You may want to contact the manufacturer and ask their technical department.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
denverpilot

Or just make sure Fry's didn't sell the wrong cable...
Old 08-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
homer3

denverpilot - going from S-video to composite, (single RCA jack). Just assumed it would work. It sure makes connecting at setup time of travel a lot easier.

John
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 08-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #6
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
denverpilot - going from S-video to composite, (single RCA jack). Just assumed it would work. It sure makes connecting at setup time of travel a lot easier.

Fair enough. S-video to Composite only takes a capacitor to make a cable and mix the separate luminosity and color signals back together. That's the cheap and dirty way that most "adapters" use nowadays anyway.

Snagged from:
http://www.infocellar.com/Video/pc-to-tv.htm

(Just a random site Google'd to find a circuit diagram for you.)

Maybe the cable isn't assembled correctly or has a bad capacitor or a solder bridge in the cable somewhere.

Some adapter cables tend not to like being driven long distances depending on wire gauge and value of the capacitor. I assume you're running from the back of the trailer all the way to the Tow Vehicle cab? How long is the cable run?

Really should work. Hmm.

The "right" way was rarely seen in a stand-alone converter and s-video is so out of style these days, even all the links I could find to kits that used ICs made to do that job correctly and get rid of odd color artifacts, are dead.

Been a long time since I've had to do S-Video. Last devices I saw using it at home was an ancient DVD recorder, and at work it was common in really old videoconferencing gear when I had to support the legacy/truly ancient stuff at Polycom many years ago.

We were well past the S-Video days by then and mostly HDMI or DVI, and I left there getting close to a decade ago. Composite and S-Video by modern standards are pretty ugly video.

As you can see in that old article linked above, a very large range of capacitors work to do that mixing trick. If you have an electronics junk box or a friend who does, maybe they could make you another adapter just to see if yours is busted.

Seems odd that it wouldn't work.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #7
homer3

denverpilot - this may all be my problem alone. I have had this camera operating for sometime on S-video alone. Yes, camera is hard wired from camera to front of 5ver. At this point I have a second 12' foot S-video that is wired tied along the length of 7-pin connector which plugs into side of real bed. See picture, small plug next to 7-pin connection. The S-video then continues into cab where I have my video display. I have never had any problems with this hook-up with the exception of a little hard to make connections in the dark when setting up, (bent a few of the inner pins while connecting then playing with it to get them back strait, at pain in the butt), just thought that going to an RCA connection at point in of connection in rear of bed would make things a lot easier on me. See pics. Video display in the pic is different then current but same principle. Any thoughts. Thanks for the feedback
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05671.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	11066   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4 (3).jpg
Views:	155
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	11067   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05672.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	11068  

John
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 08-13-2016, 09:44 PM   #8
denverpilot

Hmm. I'd have to look up the spec to see what the voltages are supposed to be at the other end.

I'm not a fan of those mini-DIN connectors at all. I think I'd check those carefully for more pin damage or something like that. Whenever I hunt for a technical problem it always turns out to just be busted connectors or other physical problems, and when I hunt for physical problems it's always something technically wrong. Hahaha.