Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
lesleyinky

2nd A/C or portable A/C

This weekend is 3rd trip out with our 31sqb and we are admitting to ourselves that the A/C just isn't cutting it. It's a 15000btu unit so we thought it would be fine (previous 29' camper did fabulous with 13500 unit).

Our TT is wired and braced for a 2nd
A\C unit but I've priced them and hate to take the plunge without knowing for sure it will even help to add. I keep reading post from several that say two A\C's don't keep theirs cool enough.

What about a portable A/C - we have the floor space to add one but would it help?? It's much much cheaper than adding a 2nd unit on the roof. I see great prices on them on Amazon but I do realize they have to be vented out of a window.

Thoughts, suggestions??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesleyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Are you looking at a "window" unit, or one that sits on the floor and requires ducting for the heat exchanger?
The ones that sit on the floor usually use an intake and discharge hose for the cooling coils that should be vented outside.

We have one in our service writers area and it is loud. I wouldn't want to spend the time and effort needed to vent the unit. Just to be deafened by the noise in the confined space of an RV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #3
lesleyinky

I had just wondered about something like this. Honestly just now sure what to do. We don't mind to pay the cost of a 2nd roof unit as long as it truly solves the dilemma.

The layout of this TT seems like it makes it had for both master bedroom and bunkroom to get good airflow.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
SADLY

I wouldn't have a 30' (or larger) trailer without 2 a/c units.... Simply wouldn't leave the dealer lot without it installed.... Mandatory.... And it's (more correctly "they are") effective at keeping my 40' trailer at 70-72 in 100 degree heat.
SADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
lesleyinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADLY View Post
I wouldn't have a 30' (or larger) trailer without 2 a/c units.... Simply wouldn't leave the dealer lot without it installed.... Mandatory.... And it's (more correctly "they are") effective at keeping my 40' trailer at 70-72 in 100 degree heat.

I don't think we ever would again. We just didn't have any idea that it would't be more than sufficient.

Honestly, we are camping at a large campground right now and I'm amazed how many large units only have one? I've been scoping out all the neighbors and wonder how some of the large 5th wheels only have one a/c? We are in south central ky and summers are pretty hot!

Old 07-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Description states it includes window vent kit and ducting. RV windows have rounded corners and home windows are square. You would need to customize the vent kit.

A second AC unit that is ducted would be the way to go as long as the duct work was there. Simply take the garnish ring off the inside of the bedroom vent and look for aluminum tape covering the ends of the ducting. Remove the tape, install the unit, wire in the thermostat and BAM.... all is good.

Since you've said the unit is pre wired, the 110VAC will be there and the 12VDC for the control board. When your looking for the ductwork look for a 5 conductor wire, that will be the thermostat wiring.

My '97 Jayco was 36' long and had a single 13500 unit that did good. I'm not so thrilled with my current unit and only 31' long. Once I get the time to check the vents for leaking air, I might pony up for a 15K unit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #7
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
A second AC unit that is ducted would be the way to go as long as the duct work was there. Simply take the garnish ring off the inside of the bedroom vent and look for aluminum tape covering the ends of the ducting. Remove the tape, install the unit, wire in the thermostat and BAM.... all is good.

Since you've said the unit is pre wired, the 110VAC will be there and the 12VDC for the control board. When your looking for the ductwork look for a 5 conductor wire, that will be the thermostat wiring.
I'm going to keep this! I thought if a 2nd unit was installed aftermarket it had to be freestanding, not ducted. My 5er is ducted and we rarely use it during summer school vacations. In Fl winter temps have not reached beyond 93 and the winter so far, and the single has worked well. We have optional blinds that we keep drawn during the warmest part of the day to help. Keeping the temp at 72 has not been a problem. However, we leave the dogs at times and thinking a 2nd unit as a backup should be installed.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #8
BirchyBoy

We had to use a portable air conditioner at our condo this summer and I hated it. Very loud and took up quite a bit of floor space. I would spring for the second A/C to be installed and will likely do so next summer.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:27 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Another consideration for the portable freestanding air conditioner is condensation. Most of these units have a "drip pan" mounted in the bottom which must be emptied when full. There are some (usually more expensive) units that evaporate the condensation to keep the pan empty, but most don't. So, what usually happens is that you turn on the portable A/C unit, it's working well, you leave, come back to a "red flashing light" (full condensation pan) and a warm trailer.

If you add a slightly "off level" trailer to the mix, it can cause a significant "wet floor" if the condensation pan "spills water" over the side, never getting full enough to "trip the shutdown system".

Portable A/C's are "OK", but they do have some limitations that make them "less than ideal" in a mobile situation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Go with the 2nd AC - it will beat the heck out the portable unit you are looking at as far as user friendly, trouble, space, performance etc. We installed the 2nd AC on our 319rls when we bought it, glad we did and wouldn't have it any other way.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #11
lesleyinky

Thank you all - sounds like we will go with 2nd A/C. Now to decide if my husband installs it or we have it done professionally. I know the weight of it is a consideration for installing himself so that's the next decision!

Old 07-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I had mine installed by CW when they had their installations for $39. I don't know what the install price is now. It shouldn't be a difficult thing to do except your husband should have help getting it on the roof.

If the price isn't too high I would think about letting CW or another dealer do it. If you encounter any issues after installation they should be covered by the dealer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:29 AM   #13
WaltBennett

We've been able to get by with our single six year old 15k unit, although our Montana is white, I've replaced all the lights with LED's, and we've bubble insulation for all the windows. This gave us a drop of up to 18 degrees from outside air temp. Many with two ACs can't get that. That said, our AC seems to have developed a coolant leak and is now only cooling 2-3 degrees and I'm getting ready to buy a replacement. Since we've somewhere we have to be in two weeks, I spent some time researching portable ones (we can use it in our house also).

While the Honeywell posted is a good one, it has a drain pan that needs to be emptied periodically (like most of them). Also, with a single hose, it's pulling twice the air from inside to both vent out inside (cold) as well as outside (hot). I decided on this one from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that also has a water pump & hose that automatically squirts anything accumulated out the window (just hope it doesn't squirt on the neighbors!).

As for the rounded windows, I'm certain I can make a 1/4" plywood insert that will fit and handle the hoses just fine. This way I won't have to modify the plastic one and can use it in our house.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote