Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
[TASF]Overkill

What is above my fridge?

2009 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS...

I am considering using this area above my fridge for the installation of a few control panels... but I don't know what I would encounter after cutting a hole...

Is there any reasonable way to remove the whole panel and then replace it? Wish I could find one of these in a junk yard and beat it apart... I'd learn a lot.
[TASF]Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
Nagrompj

Behind the frig is basically a chimney. Cool air comes in the bottom vent and out the top vent. If you are going to do any modifications make sure you don't disturb that air flow.
Above the frig there may not be anything. You can remove the frig and check before you make any new holes. After disconnecting the gas and electric and some fasteners from the outside bottom vent and a few fasteners from inside the fridge should slide straight out.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

If you remove the screws from the roof vent for the fridge, ( not the base that mounts to the EPDM with many screws and sealant .. the top part of the vent comes off separately with just a few screws.) You should be able to see down behind the fridge without disturbing anything. These wood panels are held on with staples from the rear .... using a hammer on a block of wood close to the edge of the panel, gently tap all around until the staples start to come loose. ..... if this does not work, get a bigger hammer.

No two installs are the same .... but I am guessing that you will have room for what you want. Good luck, Hank ...... off to a good start with pictures, keep them coming.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:15 AM   #4
jsmith948

X2 what Hankpage posted - in fact, there is a cabinet above our fridge. It is only half as deep as the other cabinets due to the chimney hidden behind the rear wall of the cabinet. Don't know if the control panels you plan to install are heat sensitive, but, the interior of our cabinet over the refer stays warm enough the DW can't keep the bread there. Not HOT but it does get warm. Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
[TASF]Overkill

Thanks guys!

Hankpage, if I tap out the panel to take a look, it sounds like I may not be able to reinstall it if if I can't able cess the back, right?
[TASF]Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

You may have a similar panel to this below the fridge also. cutting the panel to fit and adding small blocks of wood for support replacing the panel is easy ..... I used cabinet magnets but screws work well too.

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
Pull Toy

How about a test hole from inside of the cabinet to the right of your fridge? When done you can always cover this hole with a patch inside the cabinet.

If you plan it right you could use a blank switch type faceplate, or even a round soffit vent. If the area stays warm, as mentioned, the better choice is probably the switch plate cover, or use duct tape on the back side of the soffit vent so the heat doesn't transfer to your cabinet.

Good Luck!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #8
Voyager

I have my solar controller mounted in the panel.
2 Champion 2000's
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote