Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
dnhxx

bike rack for Premier 19FBPR

HI,

We have a 19fbpr on order, since our local dealers do not carry that model. So I do not know how the rear bumper is attached to the frame. Wondering if the bumper is strong enough to use the Curt bolt on receiver hitch for a two bike rack, for two bikes about 32 lbs each? I have read many threads about weak welds and thin bumpers, wondering if the Premiers are the same? Also, is there enough room for a bike rack and the spare tire on the back, or will the spare tire need to be relocated somewhere? If the bumper is strong enough, what is he best way to secure the bikes from bouncing around so much?

thanks
Don
Dallas
dnhxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

All Keystone RV's use Lippert frames. EVERY Lippert frame is built to the "same exacting standards" (said tongue in cheek)...

So, the rear bumper on your Passport is the same as the rear bumper on a Bullet, or a Cougar, or a Hideout or a Summerland or a ........

I wouldn't consider adding anything that "bounces, twists, sways or otherwise would "torque" the rear bumper. At best, it's a place to "sit a coffee cup" during site setup. It's not a substantial component and many have found it won't even support the spare tire, much less anything else.

I'd make other plans for transporting your bikes.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Don -
If it were me, I wouldn't mount a bike rack on the bumper - let alone two bikes plus the spare tire. Instead, consider a welded receiver hitch onto the frame that will accept a hitch-mounted bike rack.

You may hear from others that have a bumper-mounted bike rack who will say that they have done this and "have had no problems". Doing so is, IMO, an accident waiting to happen.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #4
GaryWT

Even if the welds are good, you could bend the bumper itself. As stated a weld on rank or a roof top for you tow vehicle.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #5
michael_h

I have a 19 Premier and found bikes bounce too much on the back of mine . . . so I went back to my forward hitch carrier

I plan to go to the tire holding type carrier but here's the windshield view if you have any concerns on visibility

============
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #6
Laredo291OH

Not sure what you pull with, but since it is a travel trailer, why not load in the bed of the truck? I have a cap like michael_h so each bike has a quick release on the front wheel, just pull the front wheel, slide the bikes in (upside down). I do put a strap around them to keep them from falling over. Of course, I have an 11 yo son so I don't have to do the crawling around to strap the bikes and retrieve the front wheels. Once he is gone I will be looking for a bike rack.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
Dave B

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
I have a 19 Premier and found bikes bounce too much on the back of mine . . . so I went back to my forward hitch carrier

I plan to go to the tire holding type carrier but here's the windshield view if you have any concerns on visibility

============

Michael,
A front hitch will be my only option as well, but I've hesitated to buy a rack because I'm concerned about blocking the headlights. Granted, I don't often tow after dark, but there are times it can't be helped or fog or other conditions make headlights important. Do your bikes block the headlights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
dnhxx

Thanks everyone. I suspected that was the case. We are pulling the trailer with a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, and won't be able to haul bikes in it or on it due to the payload capacity. I think best bet is to put bikes in the trailer somehow, possible get fold up bikes, just need to find way to keep dirt and grease out, I just need to convince my wife that the bumper is not a good option.
I have seen photos of welding a receiver to the frame, even though I think my brother could weld this for us, I am not sure I am willing to do that just yet on a brand new trailer still under warranty.

Don
dnhxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #9
michael_h

Dave I have no problems with cooling or headlights with my forward carrying system

Don there is a rack that mounts in front of the frame forward the cap of the trailer but it's expensive, but there is a post somewhere on the forums of a guy that made a rack on the plywood seat of the u shaped dinette but I can't find it, if that might interest you
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:50 AM   #10
CaptnJohn

From the rear bumper of my Cougar there are 2 pins at the frame. Pull them and out slides a bike rack and platform. A sticker states no more than 200# 0n that in addition to the spare tire. Factory standard.... if all frames are the sale it may not be a problem.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:15 AM   #11
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnhxx View Post
Thanks everyone. I suspected that was the case. We are pulling the trailer with a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, and won't be able to haul bikes in it or on it due to the payload capacity. I think best bet is to put bikes in the trailer somehow, possible get fold up bikes, just need to find way to keep dirt and grease out, I just need to convince my wife that the bumper is not a good option.
I have seen photos of welding a receiver to the frame, even though I think my brother could weld this for us, I am not sure I am willing to do that just yet on a brand new trailer still under warranty.

Don
I sing the Grand Cherokee blues as well

Do some searching for bikes and dining table benches. There are quite a few posts where the bikes are attached to cleats under the seat cushions .
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
From the rear bumper of my Cougar there are 2 pins at the frame. Pull them and out slides a bike rack and platform. A sticker states no more than 200# 0n that in addition to the spare tire. Factory standard.... if all frames are the sale it may not be a problem.
You might want to read through the forum for experiences other owners have had with this rack system. There are reports of collapse, twisting, loss and complete failure of the rack from owners who state they were well within the weight limits of the rack. Several owners have lost or damaged bicycles which were the only cargo on the rack system. Do some homework, you might be surprised at how fragile that sliding rack system really is.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #13
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You might want to read through the forum for experiences other owners have had with this rack system. There are reports of collapse, twisting, loss and complete failure of the rack from owners who state they were well within the weight limits of the rack. Several owners have lost or damaged bicycles which were the only cargo on the rack system. Do some homework, you might be surprised at how fragile that sliding rack system really is.....
I have no intention of using it but because it looks to drag going in to get fuel or over any curb. Sticks out too far beyond the axels IMO ~~ but it is there. Anything 2 people cannot fit in a Cougar 303RLs and F250 they do not need even for trips of long duration.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I have no intention of using it but because it looks to drag going in to get fuel or over any curb. Sticks out too far beyond the axels IMO ~~ but it is there. Anything 2 people cannot fit in a Cougar 303RLs and F250 they do not need even for trips of long duration.
You do have a very valid point there LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #15
GMcKenzie

Quote:
The pull out thing is junk. Most recommend not using it to carry anything while traveling, as it puts more pressure on questionable welds. I will pull mine out when I set up to be able to keep some stuff off the ground. I've also used it for bikes but carry the spare tire in the truck, but not long distances.

Not sure what I'm going to do next year. Probably some way to store them in the trailer.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #16
1l243

I am have to go off the reservation and disagree with most of you guys. I think it can be done if your smart about it and do some extra work.

We have a new 19fbpr. We downsized to from a 36 foot toy hauler where we had plenty of space, the 19 not so much. My wife is disabled and has a electric trike that she uses to get around. It has to go. The truck is full, could not put it on the roof so it had to go on the rear bumper.

Let's look at the 19's bumper. It's made of heavy gauge steel. It's welded to the main trailer I beam. Keystone also welded extra tabs in the corners where the bracket welds to the 4" bumper. (were going to talk about adding bumper struts supports later)

I decided to go with a tilt up rack from harbor freight at alot less $$.

But you can go right to Lippert for a strong frame mounted rack

http://www.lci1.com/lci-storage-systems

Harbor Freight Rack

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ier-62660.html

I also bought a 4" Hitch Receiver from Curt
http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Tr...FUhcfgod_JIL4A

This is also a must It's a hitch vice sold by hitchrider. It completely stops all the movement in a receiver hitch and makes it rock solid. I use one on my truck hitch as well.
http://www.hitchrider.com/nowobble.htm

Bumper Struts

You will want to get These bumper safety struts or have your own made like I did. I made my own because I wanted them a little bigger. You can download a template from the website to see how the struts fit on your trailer. The strut supports the bumper and stops it from twisting.

http://www.mount-n-lock.com/mnl-carg...bumper-failure

I made my own

mounted

It all works well of course you will have to decide if it will work for you..
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #17
1l243

Just going to ad that since I had room in the front pass through storage I moved the spare tire off the rear bumper. I also removed the Stinky Slinky from the bumper. You don't need a potential rust situation going on inside the bumper. I saw a picture of a older trailer that had a bumper fail and it seemed to have more to do with rust than it did the bike rack...
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #18
Homer & Marge

Bikes

No ladder or hitch. All fiberglass and a soft plastic bumper. Made a bike rack for 2 to fit in the nose of the pickup bed with brackets for front fork to fasten onto from local bike shop. Can slide rack in and out as a unit. Had no other choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150421_163755959_iOS.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	10085   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150831_164204493_iOS.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	10086  
Homer & Marge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags