Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
kmc58

Re: 5th Wheel Toy Hauler Keystone Fuzion 395

You were so helpful in locating our antenna booster. Could you help me with another question?

We always use our gas for our water heater and cooking. The refrigerator also runs off gas. According to our manual we should be able to use the electricity for the water heater. I've attached a pic of a switch with a piece of tape which was on it when we purchased the camper over the ON button. If we use the electricity will it be okay to use it with the gas stove and frig? Does it automatically override it? Thanks.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	On Off Switch Camper.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	9233  
kmc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Your HW heater will operate on both gas and electricity - one doesn't override the other. If that little black rocker switch is left in the ON position and you are plugged in, the tank will heat with electricity as long as you are plugged in.

If you ever drain the HW tank and are plugged in to shore power, be sure to turn this switch OFF before you empty. If you don't then you will burn out the heating element - very quickly!.

That switch on the tank has nothing to do with the operation of the fridge. If the fridge switch is set to AUTO and you are plugged in to shore power, it will automatically switch over to electricity. In this case, electricity does override the propane gas operation.
Again, if the fridge switch is on AUTO and you are not plugged in, it will run on propane until you connect to shore power. The fridge does not operate at the same time on both 110VAC and propane ---- just one or the other.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
Javi

If you are plugged into shore power then there is no real need to run the fridge or water heater on gas. In fact if the AUTO button is pushed on the fridge you are most likely already running on shore power.

The water heater is dual fuel, electric and/or gas.. We turn on the electric when we setup and are sure there is water in the heater tank, only turning it off if we are leaving for more than a few minutes along with the water faucet. It only takes a couple of minutes to turn it all back on and one leak is more than I wanted.

We do often turn on the DSI Gas switch on the water heater for bathes especially during winter camping. But for most of the time the electric is plenty..
Old 08-15-2015, 02:24 AM   #4
kmc58

Thank you. This is good to know that we will only need our gas for the stove which I use very little.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:19 AM   #5
TandE

My only issue with the electric heater element is that it doesn't keep up with high demands like showers and sometimes even dishwashing. At least in our last trailer it did not and expect the same in our new one too. Just need to test it out soon.

Also your furnace uses gas to heat the rig which I'm sure you know already. We have a fireplace in ours and while it does a great job of heating the living area it doesn't quite make it to the bedroom so we will need to use the furnace for that at night as I'm not too keen on using electric or gas filled heaters in the rig with a little one running around. Plus if you do use it in colder weather or get cold weather unexpectedly the furnace also heats the underbelly to keep things thawed out or at least is supposed to on most models.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
dcg9381

Try it. It's probably taped like that so no one would turn it on with an empty hot water tank, which would fry the element.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Try it. It's probably taped like that so no one would turn it on with an empty hot water tank, which would fry the element.
I'm guessing that it's taped like that because the dealer never checked its function during the PDI...
Old 08-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I'm guessing that it's taped like that because the dealer never checked its function during the PDI...
Most likely answer. They come taped from the factory, and some even have a small hitch pin inserted. FWIW, I use both any time I'm plugged into shore power. I have found during the night, my electric element will come on before the burner, and being under my bedroom, makes for a quieter nights sleep.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:15 AM   #9
gtsum2

I use both electric and gas heat. I have yet to run out of hot water and that is with taking 4 showers back to back
Old 08-17-2015, 02:35 AM   #10
kmc58

We are still "learning" the ins and outs of this trailer. Thanks for your input.