Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
arniez

Slide out using battery question

I have a new Passport 2200RBWE with 2 better batteries than the ones that usually come. We will be doing a lot of dry camping, sometimes for 3 or 4 days in a row. There is a sticker on the control panel that says the battery must be fully charged for the slide to work.

After 3 or 4 days of no electricity, am I going to have a problem getting the slide back in?

Thanks for the help.
arniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

As long as you don't run the batteries down too far you should be ok. I'd be testing them with a meter from time-to-time or keeping a close eye on your control panel to monitor their level of charge.

If they start to get too low for comfort, you can hook your RV up to your truck and put some charge back into them and when you are ready to put your slides back in, do the same thing -- hook up the truck to the RV and run the truck engine. I do this all the time when retracting or extending both the slide and the front landing jacks on our 5th wheel.

If you are going to be doing a lot of dry camping, I'd switch all of my incandescent overhead interior lights to LED's. You'll be surprised how much less of the drain on your batteries you will experience with LED's.

You might also want to look into solar for keeping your batteries up or take along a small, portable generator - say 2000W - for topping them up and for other low amp/watt draw items as well.

After 3-4 days of prudent use of your lights, water pump, etc. you might still be "on the edge" - if you don't have any means of keeping them charged.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
Steve S

What Festus said was everything you need to know
changing your lights to LED makes a pretty big difference in power consumption.
I actually have a personal power chart consumption of LED compared to the standard lights and there's a big difference.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
bsmith0404

Not sure if you have kids, but if you do, a generator while dry camping is a nice thing to have anyway. If you run into some bad weather, you can sit inside with the A/C running and the kids can watch movies. Helps keep them content and enjoying the trip.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
arniez

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate you all taking the time.
arniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
mom2budnbug

We have had to hook the trailer up to the truck while dry camping without the generator. Usually travel with the generator if camping 3 or more nights.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Woodsrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2budnbug View Post
We have had to hook the trailer up to the truck while dry camping without the generator. Usually travel with the generator if camping 3 or more nights.
What she said.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #8
Pull Toy

I live in Connecticut, and don't dry camp much, but do have to worry about "power outage related winter shelter". I have made up a 10 foot extension cord (7 pin male to female extension) so that I can power the trailer, using the TV without having to be in the towing position. The only pins I've used are the 12v battery, and the ground and ICC markers,

Might be a cheap easy fix for a recharge in the brush.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote