Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
Sundown08

Phone line in a Big Sky 379Rl

Hi Everyone:

We are getting 2015 Montana Big Sky 379RL. We are full timers and have a need for a phone line into the trailer for our DSL modem. Can anyone tell me if there is an incoming phone plug on the Montana Big Sky? We are in a Class A MH and it has an incoming phone plug. If there is not a phone line can anyone suggest how to get a line into the trailer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Sundown08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

With the advent of cell phones and smart phones, almost all manufacturers have stopped installing phone connections in RV's. There are a couple who still offer the option, but Keystone doesn't.

It's not difficult to install a phone connection and run an interior line to a convenient location. If you go to Lowe's or HD, you can find all the necessary components. I'd suggest looking carefully at the "convenience center" to see if there's a way to install the plug in connection there. That way you could route the phone line from the service post to the trailer along with the electrical cord/water hose and sewer hose.

Keep in mind that almost all campgrounds have stopped providing phone service. If you're full timing in one location, you could arrange to have phone service provided if the campground has no objection. Some won't allow that type service any longer.

Here is one of several types of telephone adapters that could be easily installed in the convenience center: http://www.arizonarvpartscenter.com/...-p/22-8376.htm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I would suggest you re-think the need for a conventional phone line and particularly DSL. DSL was a first (2nd?) phase attempt at providing residential customers the ability of broadband services. There are many, much faster, alternatives these days. If you use satellite, many of those offer broadband services. If you want to stay with a conventional phone line look for providers (maybe not the local telephone company) that offer fiber to the door. You eliminate your DSL modem and typically get much better broadband service. That option would still require a cat 5 wire installation but you would have a better service in my opinion .
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
Sundown08

Hi Everyone:

Thanks so much for the replies. I would love to get a faster internet connection. I have looked at satellite but it has limits on data. We had a Wifi hot spot but it too had limited data. No fiber optic available where we full time. We do have a phone line at our site so we went with DSL. It works ok. I am going to install a phone jack in the convenience center. Will I have to drop the cover on the bottom of the trailer to do this? Is there an easier way to run the line into the Trailer? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 01-31-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You should be able to run the line into the trailer through the "hole in the bottom of the convenience center" where the water hose and the electric cable enter the trailer. The back of the convenience center should be accessible from inside the forward storage compartment by removing a panel. Once you have access to the back of the convenience center, just drill a hole, install the plug and then route the phone line to where you want it located (through the bowels of your RV basement) and into the inside of your RV. Then, reinstall the panel, route your incoming line from the campground pole through the entry hole in the bottom of the convenience panel along with your water hose and electric cable and you're "set to connect" LOL

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
Sundown08

Hi John:

Thanks so much for the help! We will be picking up our Big Sky on Valentine's day. Trying too get things sorted out before we get our new home. Will I need to drop the cover on the bottom of the trailer to route the cable from the convince center to inside if the trailer?

Again thanks so much for the help!

Regards,

Steve
Old 01-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

No, you won't have to drop the coroplast. There is a 4" hole in the bottom of the convenience center. The sewer hose, electric cord and water hose go up through that hole and connect to the fittings/plugs on the convenience center. You can just run the telephone line through that hole along with all the other utilities. All you should have to do behind the convenience center is drop that "false wall" in the passthrough and access the sub-basement there.

Have you considered asking the dealership to install it? If you do and if they agree (it's only a 10 or 15 minute job) make sure you point out or better yet, mark with some masking tape exactly where you want the interior plug. Otherwise, you may find it on the opposite end of the trailer from where you "thought" they would put it. I'd suggest taking a couple of 6" pieces of masking tape, writing on them, "Telephone plug" and putting one on the convenience center where you want it located and the other on the cabinet/wall (I would suggest cabinet) where you want the interior plug.

If you do it yourself, all you should need to do is drill a hole through the convenience center plastic, mount the plug, connect the interior phone wire to the inside of that plug and then route it through the "sub-basement" behind that panel until you get to where you want it to enter the cabin and drill another hole there, push the wire through and connect the wall jack to those wires. It's a very "tight fit" in the sub-basement, so if you're "scale challenged" you might want to find someone who is less "ball like" and more "tube like" to crawl in the sub-basement.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #8
Sundown08

Hi John:

Thank you so much!

Regards,

Steve