Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
CWtheMan

Special Trailer Tire Info

This is just some heads-up info about the popular Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires.

Their speed rating as set by their manufacturer is 62 MPH. That speed rating is very significant. First off, it’s 3 MPH slower than many people perceive it to be. And second, it’s complicated. Many of you that have done some tire researching may have come across other ST tire manufacturers that allow their tires to have their maximum sidewall pressure increased by 10 psi to increase the tire speed limit by 10 MPH. The Tire & Rim Association (TRA) does not allow any tires with speed limits less than 65 MPH - as set by their manufacturer - to be manipulated with air pressure to increase load capacity or speed.

Carlisle Tire is a prolific provider of OEM/OE tires and many of you may have them or may be considering them as replacements for your OE tires. So, be careful with them, excess speed provides one of the dreaded enemies of tires, HEAT.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...0&rd=16&cs=235

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...5&rd=16&cs=235

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...5&rd=16&cs=235

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
bg71361

Did you get the "J" speed rating off the sidewall of the tire or just off Discount Tires website.
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
smokeyfl

If you look at the chart, there is no speed rating for 65 mph. J is 63 and K is 68. My Carlisles are rated L for 75 mph. Their weight capacity is 3940 at 90 psi. This was the best combination I could find in any ST tire.
Harley Ultra Classic

smokeyfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
CWtheMan

Carlisle rates ALL of their ST tires with a letter J. The letter J = 62 MPH. Carlisle, when asked, and in their tire description & maintenance information documents may describe the letter J as 65 MPH for metric tires and again the letter J as 62 MPH for non metric tires. Because service descriptions are not required to be molded on ST tire sidewalls they can get away with that, but in reality the letter J is only 62 MPH. Further on in the Carlisle tire description documents Carlisle only approves a maximum speed of 60 MPH for any/all of their ST tires.

Again, be careful with Carlisle ST tires - or any other ST tires. As heat builds beyond a tire's designed limits it's ability to carry weight is diminished.

CW
Old 12-05-2014, 04:46 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Carlisle rates ALL of their ST tires with a letter J. The letter J = 62 MPH. Carlisle, when asked, and in their tire description & maintenance information documents may describe the letter J as 65 MPH for metric tires and again the letter J as 62 MPH for non metric tires. Because service descriptions are not required to be molded on ST tire sidewalls they can get away with that, but in reality the letter J is only 62 MPH. Further on in the Carlisle tire description documents Carlisle only approves a maximum speed of 60 MPH for any/all of their ST tires.

Again, be careful with Carlisle ST tires - or any other ST tires. As heat builds beyond a tire's designed limits it's ability to carry weight is diminished.

CW
What I got by reading their website is (as you stated) 65 for the ST tires and 62 for the non metric tires. They also state that some of their tires are rated at 87 and 75 mph, but recommend not towing faster than 60 mph anytime when towing a trailer regardless of rating. I don't agree with your statement that they only approve a maximum speed of 60. They just state that they feel 60 is a safe speed when towing.

From the Carlisle website:

In the past, most trailer tires were rated at 62 or 65 mph. Today, some of our tires are "rated" (speed symbols) at 87 mph (N), some at 75 mph (L), some at 65 mph (J: ST tires) and some at 62 mph (J: non-metric tires).

Please remember that speed ratings are test speeds and not recommended driving speeds. The ratings apply only to the tire itself, and not a particular vehicle. The speed rating does not mean that the vehicle can be safely operated at the tire's rated speed.

We recommend driving no more than 60 mph when towing a trailer. Please always drive at a safe speed and abide by the posted speed limit.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
smokeyfl

CW - I have followed your blog, know you do your research and have a great respect for your opinion, however the link you supplied shows the
st23585r16 F has a speed rating of L. As a senior citizen, I am not looking to go faster, but am looking for a greater margin for safety. This is the only tire I could find that had both the higher speed rating and weight rating. According to the speed chart, all tires with a J speed rating would be limited to 63 mph so I was curious why you singled out Carlisle?
Harley Ultra Classic

smokeyfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
Desert185

From my standpoint on all this, as relatively large-trailer novice, I'm traveling at a max speed of 60 on correct weight-rated tires, properly inflated with a proven track record and hoping for the best.

Am I missing something?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
From my standpoint on all this, as relatively large-trailer novice, I'm traveling at a max speed of 60 on correct weight-rated tires, properly inflated with a proven track record and hoping for the best.

Am I missing something?
Not a thing.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
CWtheMan

Until the more advanced design used on the Carlisle Radial Trail RH became available, Carlisle NEVER recommended speeds above 60 MPH for any of their trailer tires. Carlisle does not mold tire service descriptions into the sidewalls of any of their ST tires. Service descriptions for ST tires are not official so speed ratings must be from a direct quote from their manufacturer. Carlisle is wishey-washey when it comes to recommending a specific value per tire size and design. Why would one size Radial Trail RH have a different speed rating than any other size in that design? Especially if both are sized ST235/85R16.

I’ve never been able to get Carlisle to put a letter speed value per tire in print in an email. This is one of the few answers found in print in their documents…

“[
SIZE="4"]How fast can I travel on Carlisle trailer tires?”[/SIZE]
“In the past, most trailer tires were rated at 62 or 65 mph. Today, some of our tires are "rated" (speed symbols) at 87 mph (N), some at 75 mph (L), some at 65 mph (J: ST tires) and some at 62 mph (J: non-metric tires).”

The only time ST is mentioned in that “some of our tires” statement is in conjunction with the speed letter J. Approved by the TRA the letter J is 62 MPH…Peroid.

Good luck with getting a straight answer from Carlisle. Only a tire’s manufacturer can determine its speed rating. If you or someone you know has access to a TRA manual just maybe the true answer can be found in there.

CW