Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Mosnowman

Interior Lights Won't Turn On?.....NEWBIE

I apologize in advance for this silly question. Just got my new Bullet 278 and this morning plugged it in and everything works but the radio and lights. The electric hitch also isn't working. I assume it is the battery but don't understand why the lights and radio won't work on electric alone. Is this the problem? Battery has to be charged for light and radio? Thanks !
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
96Brigadier

If you are plugged into shore power than your lights, radio, and everything else electric inside your trailer should be working. If nothing works then it doesn't sound like something as simple as a fuse, that would be multiple fuses which is unlikely. Does your water pump work?
96Brigadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Paddler

Hi,
Congrats on your new rig! Assuming you have the trailer running on shore power (115VAC) then I would also suspect either a battery disconnect switch set to the off position or a fuse/circuit breaker issue. The trailer interior lights, radio and the electric jack all run off 12VDC even when the trailer is plugged in.
Good luck,
Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Mosnowman

Battery disconnect switch?

Thanks for the quick replies! I used a marine battery charger and charged the battery and the lights and radio work. I'm curious about the switch you mentioned. Where would I find the battery disconnect switch?
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Paddler

Some rigs come with battery disconnect switches, our Montana did. Most travel trailer do not come from the factory with one. However, many RVers install an after-market disconnect switch to prevent the battery from getting killed while in storage. The CO detector and other parasidic draws will eat a battery in about a month. You can buy a kill switch from Harborfreight.com for around $5.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
wgb1

Mosnowman, Can't help you with your problem, but congratulations on your new TT. Your gonna have a blast! We are!

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
Thanks for the quick replies! I used a marine battery charger and charged the battery and the lights and radio work. I'm curious about the switch you mentioned. Where would I find the battery disconnect switch?

It sounds like the converter-charger is not working. Are all circuit breakers turned ON?? If you are plugged into shore power there should be no reason to use an external battery charger ... the converter should charge the battery, supply 12v DC and maintain the battery if working properly. Hope this helps you enjoy your new trailer, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote