Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
Charli

Canadian Satellite coverage in US

I understand that in the past few years both Bell and Shaw have adjusted their satellite footprint so that Cdn Snowbirds can't get reception in the southern states. I have also heard that some still claim to get a signal while in Southern California and Arizona.
If there are any returning Cdn snowbirds with experience with Cdn satellite reception would love to hear from you. If no Bell/Shaw what did you do for TV. If you subscribed to a US Satellite provider can you use the same dish as you would use in Canada to get Bell/Shaw
We are planning on spending next winter in AZ and would like to stay current with local news and sports.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
poncho62

Interested in this too...When I was in AZ 3 years ago, saw quite a few Shaw and Bell dishes
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
I understand that in the past few years both Bell and Shaw have adjusted their satellite footprint so that Cdn Snowbirds can't get reception in the southern states. I have also heard that some still claim to get a signal while in Southern California and Arizona.
If there are any returning Cdn snowbirds with experience with Cdn satellite reception would love to hear from you. If no Bell/Shaw what did you do for TV. If you subscribed to a US Satellite provider can you use the same dish as you would use in Canada to get Bell/Shaw
We are planning on spending next winter in AZ and would like to stay current with local news and sports.

I just returned Sunday from Florida after being there since December.
I have Shaw and it works fine. The signal is a little weak so it takes a little work to get it dead on. Can not comment on AZ, but I heard that it works there as well. Bell is dead in the USA.
Next year I plan to setup a "Sling Box" and use it instead. But you need internet at both ends. http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-350

Satellite uses up space that I can use plus less setup time.

If you decide to use Slingbox, make sure you test it from a friends place to make sure it is working. To late once you get there if there is an issue.

Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:42 AM   #4
poncho62

This Slingbox sounds interesting, but wouldnt it cost you a fortune in internet data. Campground internet generally sucks at best
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
Charli

Not familiar with Slingbox but will look into it. From what I've heard I wouldn't be counting on the usual spotty campground WiFi. Probably best to set up your own WiFi using MiFi or other similar products which are discussed here in many posts. I do wonder how many GB you'd need in your Data Plan and what that cost would be as I'd think Slingback, much like Netflix or Apple TV would chew up the GB pretty quick.
Currently have Bell at home so would have to switch to Shaw. My fear would be that I'd go through the switch and then Shaw would do the same as Bell.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:15 AM   #6
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
Not familiar with Slingbox but will look into it. From what I've heard I wouldn't be counting on the usual spotty campground WiFi. Probably best to set up your own WiFi using MiFi or other similar products which are discussed here in many posts. I do wonder how many GB you'd need in your Data Plan and what that cost would be as I'd think Slingback, much like Netflix or Apple TV would chew up the GB pretty quick.
Currently have Bell at home so would have to switch to Shaw. My fear would be that I'd go through the switch and then Shaw would do the same as Bell.

Bruce

With the Slingbox, you can use any video source. So a local cable box, or any satellite provider. I have Shaw right now but may change to the local cable provider Cogeco. This would work as well.

The bandwidth required is enough that you would need regular High speed internet (not light) at both ends. A 4G (cellular based) hotspot device should work fine but they usually have a smaller and limited bandwidth before you incur extra costs. But it should not be anymore than watching youtube video's. This Slingbox works on the same principal as watching youtube or netflix. It only sends you one channel at a time and only what you ask for. It gives you remote control of your cable/satellite box at home.

NOTE: If you are using this cable/satellite box for Slingbox then it is not available for home use while you are away.

Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote