Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
geeman

6.2 MAX tow 1500 GM trucks??

Went to the dealer to look for 2500 series and was shown a new 2014 6.2 Max Tow 1500.

Anyone put one of these to work?
Any real world numbers on mileage?

Half ton ride with 3/4 ton tow package.
12,000 tow. 15 city and 21 highway.

Wonder though how the 'smart cylinder management' works in the long run??
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
jsmith948

I would search the forum. There are numerous threads about tow vehicles.
In real estate the word is Location...Location...Location.
In tow vehicles the word is Payload...Payload...Payload!
JMHO.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
cabinfever

Payload runs out quickly on a half ton. Especially if it is an extended cab or 4 door. Many with 3/4 tons run out of payload quickly with extended cab and 4 doors.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
Payload runs out quickly on a half ton. Especially if it is an extended cab or 4 door. Many with 3/4 tons run out of payload quickly with extended cab and 4 doors.
Certainly agree... On our recent trip to Quartzsite, weighed at a cat scale.

4900 steer (5200GAWR)
4920 drive (6100GAWR)
8000 trailer

17820 total (23500 CGVWR)

as you can see, we had plenty of tow capacity left, but, we were within 180 lbs of our truck's 10,000 GVWR .

And our Cougar is supposedly 'half ton towable'....just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
dwyleecoyote

Get a look at the sticker with the GVW ratings. The GVWR is likely somewhere around 7500. The truck will weigh close to 6000. This leaves only 1500 pounds to put people, stuff in the bed, and hitch weight. The rear GVW is where the biggest problem will likely be. I was right at the limit on the rear weight with 4 people in my max tow ford f-150, with only a 5300 pound trailer on the back. I don't see any way that you can actually get to that 12000 pound number. Ford claims mine can pull 11,300. It just doesn't seem possible, unless it has a higher GVW package. I have been researching 3/4 ton as well, there doesn't seem to be enough more capacity to bother, at least in a Ford. Chevy may be different.
dwyleecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
cabinfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyleecoyote View Post
Get a look at the sticker with the GVW ratings. The GVWR is likely somewhere around 7500. The truck will weigh close to 6000. This leaves only 1500 pounds to put people, stuff in the bed, and hitch weight. The rear GVW is where the biggest problem will likely be. I was right at the limit on the rear weight with 4 people in my max tow ford f-150, with only a 5300 pound trailer on the back. I don't see any way that you can actually get to that 12000 pound number. Ford claims mine can pull 11,300. It just doesn't seem possible, unless it has a higher GVW package. I have been researching 3/4 ton as well, there doesn't seem to be enough more capacity to bother, at least in a Ford. Chevy may be different.
My 3/4 ton Silverado, regular cab, weighs 6200LBS full of gas and me in it. Total GVW is 9200. Front GAWR is 4200LBS, rear is 5596LBS. With our 303BHSSR, firewood, canoe, 8 ft step ladder, bikes, full of fuel, and me the truck is at 8200lbs. 3620LBS front....4480LBS rear. I would not want to get much higher than that even though I have 1000LBS of payload remaining.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

As with any other vehicle manufacturer, there are "catches" and "loop-holes" in how GM advertises what the "maximum trailer capacity" for any vehicle is rated.

Here are a few excerpts from the towing guide for 2014 Chevrolet vehicles:

1 Maximum trailer weight ratings are calculated assuming a base vehicle, except for any option(s) necessary to achieve the rating, plus driver. The weight of other optional equipment, passengers and cargo will reduce the maximum trailer weight your vehicle can tow. See your Chevrolet dealer for additional details.

The base model crewcab standard bed 1500 series has a payload max (if ordered properly) of 1900 lbs. Add weight (reduce payload) for options such as carpet, extra insulation, leather heated/cooled seating, electric seats and windows, bigger mirrors, wiring and brake controller, running boards, fender flares, extra chrome, etc and the payload goes down significantly. Don't forget the "base model has the smallest engine, so add weight for the 6.2L engine. As the payload goes down, so does the ability to carry heavier tongue weight trailers.

2 Because the trailer weight rating is calculated for a line of vehicles, rather than an individual load situation, some standardized assumptions are made when calculating the trailer weight rating. First, the base curb weight of that type of vehicle is used (the weight of a standard equipped vehicle without any options).

See comments above.

3 Second, it is assumed that there is only one person in the vehicle (the driver) who weighs 150 lbs. Third, it is assumed there is a certain tongue weight for the load (a tongue weight is the weight of only the tongue of the
loaded trailer). For conventional trailering, a tongue weight that is 10% of the loaded trailer weight is used. For fifth-wheel/ gooseneck trailering, a tongue weight that is 16.7% of the loaded trailer weight is used.

They are calculating the "maximum towing capability" using only a 150 lb driver and an otherwise totally empty truck. Additionally, they are using the "lightest available calculated" tongue weight. Realistically, tongue weights range from about 12% to 15%, so you must add the "real tongue weight" to the payload to get the true payload. The "real" maximum trailer weight is not really calculated using a "pie in the sky" 10%, the "real" tongue weight and resulting trailer weight is a computation of closer to 13% or even more depending on your actual trailer. The weight can only be "real" if it's weighed on a scale when loaded for travel.

4 To be sure that your trailering combination is appropriate for your vehicle, you must first obtain the weight of your specific vehicle, with all the optional equipment you ordered.

I think they are saying, "The advertised ratings are a "best case" calculation, using a base model truck with no options and attempting to tow the heaviest trailer possible with the lightest tongue weight possible."

GM and Toyota had advertised for the past couple of years that they are going to start using the SAE method of rating "max trailer ratings". However, the "disclaimer" below indicates they are doing "what all the other manufacturers are doing" by rating using nonspecific and nonstandard methods. So, what GM says is not the same as what Ford says which is not the same as what RAM says.....

Here's what GM says about it:

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has recently announced some new guidelines for trailer ratings. General Motors will therefore be changing its ratings in the next few years. GM has tested and prepared ratings to the new SAE standard and is ready to implement the new ratings when it won’t create consumer confusion about comparisons of vehicles commonly used for trailering. At this point, key competitors are continuing to use their existing ratings for 2014 model year pickups, so GM has decided that retaining the existing rating system for the 2014 model year will reduce confusion for dealers and customers.

My take on the new 2014 GM 1500 series trucks is that they are a capable upgrade from the previous models. They are comfortable, safe, capable (within their limitations) and they are advertised to appeal to customers. Marketing has done the same at GM as in all the other automotive companies, they have "highlighted the good" and "downplayed the not so good". The way they calculate maximum trailer tow ratings is as much a "slight of hand" (magic) with GM as with Ford and RAM.

I wouldn't expect the 2014 model 1500 to be noticeably more capable than the 2013 model in terms of payload and "real towing capability" no matter what the salesman says.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote