Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
LeonineThor

Gooseneck and adapter - will this work?

I am looking to purchase a 280BHSWE or 281BHSWE - this is the 1/2 Ton specific Cougar fifth wheel - deciding between used or new.

I have a Ram 1500 5.7L - will have airbags installed. My question isn't so much about towing capacity, but actual mechanics.

I would really like to get a gooseneck hitch in my truck that I can flip over when not towing so I can have the bed flat. I would like to put a simple adapter on the camper to make this coupling possible. What I am really worried about is if my truck bed can handle the camper when I turn. No one I've spoke to in my town seems to be able to answer me and they get hung up on if I should be towing with my Ram 1500 at all.

What kind of information would I need to actually determine this - can I measure things and have proof for these mechanics? When measuring the bed length of a vehicle - is that inside or outside dimension?

Any advice/thoughts would be great!

Thank you!
-Leo
LeonineThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Seeing a gooseneck adaptor in use on a 5th wheel hitch makes a NEVER customer.

Take a 2' pry bar to your pin box with 9000 lbs of force... You wouldn't use it.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure if you can call either of those fifth wheels "half ton specific" The 280BH has an empty pin weight of 1410 lbs and the 281BH has an empty pin weight of 1570 lbs. Add propane, battery and the weight of a "normal sized" fifth wheel hitch and you're looking at close to 1800 lbs with the trailer empty. Add another 800 pounds of cargo and you're looking at nearly 2000 lbs of pin weight.

My Cougar XLite (the east coast model of the Cougar Half Ton) has an advertised empty pin weight of 1230 lbs. When loaded for a "normal trip" on the scales, the actual pin weight is pushing 1800 lbs. That's 600 lbs more than advertised.

I'm not sure you can call a trailer that weighs 8100 lbs empty with a pin weight of almost 1600 lbs empty a "light weight" fifth wheel. I'm guessing the reason people you ask about "turning while towing" aren't wanting to discuss turns is because they see the overweight status and are thinking it's probalby not wise to even tow that trailer with a half ton even when going straight.

I would strongly urge you to take a critical look at anticipated pin weight as well as total trailer weight and compare those to your payload, GVW and GCWR. You'll probalby be suprised at what you find.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
EricLynnAllison

Get a turnover ball from B&W and use their 5th wheel companion adapter. You'll have it both ways. That's what I use.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
sdetweil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLynnAllison View Post
Get a turnover ball from B&W and use their 5th wheel companion adapter. You'll have it both ways. That's what I use.
There is also an Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catal...onnection.aspx
Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
lawdes

I don't pull a 5th wheel, but I have read and heard that a goose neck hookup is not a good idea on a 5th wheel travel trailer. A true gooseneck trailer has a very strong frame, and is usually designed quite differently. A gooseneck does not allow for much movement in the hookup, putting a lot of stress on the trailer frame. A 5th wheel hitch allows both yaw and pitch movement, thereby relieving the stress on the part of the trailer frame that is raised (ie the bedroom area). What I have heard is that 5th wheel rv's that use a goose neck hitch may develop cracks in the radius of the frame as well as the shell because there is no other stress relieve. Just what I have read and been told. Probably someone out there can be a lot more specific about the physics of that.

I would agree that it seems the trailer is a lot heavier than a half ton's capacity. You could pull that trailer across a flat parking lot with a lawn mower probably, but going up, and especially going down long, steep grades would be nerve racking at best, and maybe a bit hard on a 1/2 ton's transmission and suspension. Just a thought...
lawdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
admolt

Most of the trailer manufacturers (I know Lippert does) approve the use of a reese goose box, I personally do not see from a physics perspective why anyone would say that a fifth wheel hitch has more movement than a gooseneck connection, they simply do not, that is the reason that a gooseneck is the standard equipment hitch on a stock trailer that is made to get into pastures or other rough ground. As far as the more leverage, that might be a fair statement as far as just the pin box goes, but absolutely no more stress on the trailer, there is no way it can be, the trailer weight is the same, it takes x amount of pulling force to move the trailer no matter what the hitch is. The simple reason that I use the gooseneck adapter is the fact that I am an amputee and those durn fifth wheel hitches are HEAVY. I use my pickup for much more than pulling the fifth wheel. Most of the other trailers I use are gooseneck, the B&W ball might weigh 4lbs, much more managable to turn over. How many people on here have had their fifth wheel bind in a off camber situation unhitching in the National Wilderness areas? I have seen others have this problem 7 out of 12 years elk hunting.
admolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
LeonineThor

Getting Closer

Thank you everyone for the input on the towing and payload. I have backed down my camper selections. I'm still looking at options, but all of them are WAY under my payload capacity.

I am very intrigued with the Andersen Ultimate Connection a few of you mentioned - this is something I can remove myself. What I can't really figure out is how MUCH clearance I need. The "Max Turn" touts the ability of short(er) bed trucks to tow and turn....but I still don't know the distance I NEED to make that turn! Keystone reps tell me to call the dealer...the dealer says we'll figure it out when you purchase!

Trying to get this all resolved so I can buy the camper.

Any advice on figuring this out???

Thank you!
LeonineThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
scuba0331

I pull a 2008 Outback 26 RLS with my 2011 Ram 1500, Hemi, 3.55 and Propride Hitch.

I'm not sure if you are still looking at a 5th wheel but the Ram 1500 as of 2011 was not rated to tow a 5th wheel. As of 2011 the only 1/2 ton rated to tow a 5th wheel was a Ford Eco Boost with Max trailer tow package.

Maybe the newer 1500's are rated to two the 5th wheels.

Good luck with your choice!
scuba0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Htfiremedic

We have a gooseneck conversion on our Fuzion. We have towed for thousands of miles. We have had no problems so far.
I drive rather conservatively and don't see the crowbar relationship. The hitch issue may rear its head one day, but so far, so good.
I have seen the option all around SC and GA. No one has had a problem so far, that I have spoken with.
Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #11
spicercars

I am not a fan of the adapter to change the pin box to a goose neck. They put a lot of extra strain on the pin box mount. I have had two friends that have done damage to the pin box mount because of the adapter. That's just my 2 cents
Old 11-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
calbroome

Cboo

Does Keystone have an official position on the use of a Gooseneck set up with an adapter? The Gooseneck set up is a nice and neat. The weight of the 5th wheel hitch is a major league problem when doing the set up individually.
calbroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
hnhmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLynnAllison View Post
Get a turnover ball from B&W and use their 5th wheel companion adapter . You'll have it both ways. That's what I use.
I just bought the companion adapter, any issues with it? never towed a 5th.
hnhmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
rnkburg

I have the curt x5 adapter which puts the rails in my truck, the you can put the hitch on the rails just like a permanent mount. So I can have the best of all worlds. I already had the 5th wheel patriot bw hitch and new to me truck came with bw turn over ball. This works great for me.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387083344120.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	4663  
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goose, neck