Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
campingcpl

I40 across Oklahoma

In a couple of weeks we will be traveling west and was planning on taking I40 across Oklahoma but have heard that the route is very rough speacialy around Oklahoma City. I was wondering if anyone has traveled I40 from Fort Smith over to Amarillo here recently and can fill me in on what parts to avoid. Thanks for any help!

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
sleeplightly

I40

It has been a few months since I have been through OKC but is has been rough for years. this summer I took 240 around downtown on the south side of the city. It wasn't to bad but prepare for some bumps. Just slow down a bit and consider it like riding a bull
sleeplightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
sjturbo

I recently picked up a 5er in Tulsa and headed west through Amarillo. Once you get out of the Tulsa/OK City area the roads are fine. There was a lot of construction in the T/OK area with single lane in much of the area. But It was not bad, just slow and annoying.
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
campingcpl

Thanks for the response. Looks like no matter what route we take through Oklahoma City is going to be bumpy. I have heard that the Kilpatrick turnpike isn't that bad but also heard that the tolls can be a little on the high side.

Phil & Janine & Lady
Old 10-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Barbell

We came across I-40 from Flagstaff to Eastern Tennessee in early September. If you can avoid Texas, do so. Also, rough roads around OK city. Also if you can't avoid Texas altogether, try not to buy any diesel fuel there. Every time I do, mileage drops at least 2-3 mpg and its mostly flat so it is not the terrain.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
We came across I-40 from Flagstaff to Eastern Tennessee in early September. If you can avoid Texas, do so. Also, rough roads around OK city. Also if you can't avoid Texas altogether, try not to buy any diesel fuel there. Every time I do, mileage drops at least 2-3 mpg and its mostly flat so it is not the terrain.
Thanks for the info. We was planning on heading out I40 from Pigeon Forge and running that over to Amarillo and then US 287 up to US 50 and over to Pueblo, Co.. I'm thinking we might want to look at another route but will have to wait and see what everyone else wants to do. Thanks again for the info.

Phil & Janine & Lady
Old 10-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
geo

I heard today that there is construction on I-40 from Memphis to Little Rock. That stretch definitely needed some work, but hear the detour back-ups are horrible. Major truck route.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote