Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2022, 02:05 AM   #1
HouseMouse
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Floresville
Posts: 89
Target Water Pressure...

So, I bought one of those Adjustable and Guaged water pressure control devices for our first Bivwack. Is there a target pressure to adjust it too or if the trailer is 2" off the ground back it down some? What do you guys do. Just don't want to blow up the pipeing.
__________________
2019 Laredo 325RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW
USAF Retired, (20 years, Firefighter)
HouseMouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:21 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team
 
chuckster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Modesto
Posts: 17,084
Having the trailer 2” off the ground doesn’t matter, your water pressure should be 40-45 PSI.
__________________

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:53 AM   #3
HouseMouse
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Floresville
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Having the trailer 2” off the ground doesn’t matter, your water pressure should be 40-45 PSI.
Old fireman joke.... Too much pressure on hose, just back it down some as to put the Fireman on the nozzle back down on the ground.
__________________
2019 Laredo 325RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW
USAF Retired, (20 years, Firefighter)
HouseMouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:59 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 24,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
Old fireman joke.... Too much pressure on hose, just back it down some as to put the Fireman on the nozzle back down on the ground.
The PEX tubing used in today's RV's will easily withstand 100+ PSI. It's those "pesky china plastic fittings" that cause the problem. They may or may not withstand half that pressure. Then there's the "craftsmanship" (or lack of it) added to the plumbing system by the worker with no plumbing experience, who was installing windows yesterday, but today, the guy that does plumbing called in sick. So, whether the fittings, clamps and PEX are properly clamped as intended is questionable. Then add the acute angles that many of those plastic fittings are stressed to and the vibrations of towing a trailer, and there's very little "true relilability" as seen in a S&B house.

I'd also recommend 40-45 PSI and EVERY time you leave the campsite, turn off the water at the campground pedestal connection. I can't begin to count the number of flooded trailers with water pouring out the coroplast or when the owner returns and opens the door, the "deluge of water" that greets them. Turning off the water prevents all that.... And, yes, for me, turning off the water also means turning off the water pump when we leave a "no hookups site".... 50 gallons of water from the FW tank can do far more damage than you'd imagine, and that pressure is usually somewhere around 35-40 PSI.....
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:37 AM   #5
travelin texans
Senior Member
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Picacho Peak Rv Resort
Posts: 6,098
If you read the label on the regulator it states what it's preset at, mine said 55 psi.What that means is the pressure will never exceed 55 psi into my rv, that does not mean I'll have that pressure always. If the faucet only has 40 psi 40 is all you have, that regulator does not increase pressure, it only prevents over pressure. I'd recommend whatever it's preset at, leave it, that way you'll get the max faucet pressure up the that preset & not reducing already low pressures.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Full-timed 10+ years
Sold '13 Redwood FB
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #6
HouseMouse
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Floresville
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you read the label on the regulator it states what it's preset at, mine said 55 psi.What that means is the pressure will never exceed 55 psi into my rv, that does not mean I'll have that pressure always. If the faucet only has 40 psi 40 is all you have, that regulator does not increase pressure, it only prevents over pressure. I'd recommend whatever it's preset at, leave it, that way you'll get the max faucet pressure up the that preset & not reducing already low pressures.
That makes too much sense, thanks.
__________________
2019 Laredo 325RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW
USAF Retired, (20 years, Firefighter)
HouseMouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 12:10 PM   #7
Alpine Custom Upgrade
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Elm Mott
Posts: 29
Water Pressure Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
So, I bought one of those Adjustable and Guaged water pressure control devices for our first Bivwack. Is there a target pressure to adjust it too or if the trailer is 2" off the ground back it down some? What do you guys do. Just don't want to blow up the pipeing.
I installed a pressure regulator after the camper guy next door at a site we were at asked me if I had checked the faucet pressure. NO I had not. I checked it and it had 110 psi.
I installed a cheap water pressure regulator I bought online. It would not limit the pressure to what I set it to at and it let the pressure creep up to full line pressure no matter what else I tried. I finally permanently installed a Watts pressure regulator and it works well. It has never let the pressure creep up.
I also moved the water supply connection to the outside while was at it and also ran a water line to the curb sided and put a faucet there for the dog's pool.
__________________
Alpine Custom Upgrade
Elm Mott, Texas
2021 Alpine 3650RL
2018 Silverado SRW Duramax
98 pound Boxer named Baby Girl aka Brat Girl
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 12:29 PM   #8
Alpine Custom Upgrade
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Elm Mott
Posts: 29
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
I installed a pressure regulator after the camper guy next door at a site we were at asked me if I had checked the faucet pressure. NO I had not. I checked it and it had 110 psi.
I installed a cheap water pressure regulator I bought online. It would not limit the pressure to what I set it to at and it let the pressure creep up to full line pressure no matter what else I tried. I finally permanently installed a Watts pressure regulator and it works well. It has never let the pressure creep up.
I also moved the water supply connection to the outside while was at it and also ran a water line to the curb sided and put a faucet there for the dog's pool.

Some photos of the permanentlly installed regulator and the water supply connection.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5050.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	40996

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5051.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	475.3 KB
ID:	40997
__________________
Alpine Custom Upgrade
Elm Mott, Texas
2021 Alpine 3650RL
2018 Silverado SRW Duramax
98 pound Boxer named Baby Girl aka Brat Girl
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:11 PM   #9
travelin texans
Senior Member
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Picacho Peak Rv Resort
Posts: 6,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
Some photos of the permanentlly installed regulator and the water supply connection.Attachment 40996

Attachment 40997
Nice install!
The issue I see with this setup is what about your supply hose? I doubt it's rated for 100 psi, how do you protect it?
__________________
Danny & Linda
Full-timed 10+ years
Sold '13 Redwood FB
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:15 PM   #10
dutchmensport
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
,,,What do you guys do. ,,,

Here is the simplest thing you can do to never have over-pressure water problems: simply fill your fresh water tank and use your on-board water pump. Once the fresh water tank is full, turn the shore water spiggot off. Problem solved. You will never have over-pressure woes.

Even when we have full hook up sites, (like we are on right now), I fill the fresh water tank and then shut the shore water spigot off. We always pump water from the fresh water tank with the on-board water pump. There are many moe reasons why we do it this way, but the possibility of over-water-pressure from shore water is definitely one of those reasons why.
__________________
2019 Montana High Country 375FL
2014 Chevy Duramax HD 6.6 - 3500 Diesel Dully Long bed Crew Cab
dutchmensport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:28 PM   #11
Alpine Custom Upgrade
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Elm Mott
Posts: 29
Hose Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Nice install!
The issue I see with this setup is what about your supply hose? I doubt it's rated for 100 psi, how do you protect it?
I don't protect it. I carry more than one hose but have never needed them. Even the cheapest hose at Lowes is rated for 180#. The hose we use is rated for 200# on their website. Some are rated for over 400# but I highly doubt that house would actually hold that pressure continuously. If and when I ever have a hose burst from over pressure, we will just fill the fresh tank and pump our water. Good question, though!
__________________
Alpine Custom Upgrade
Elm Mott, Texas
2021 Alpine 3650RL
2018 Silverado SRW Duramax
98 pound Boxer named Baby Girl aka Brat Girl
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water, water pressure

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.