Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
btallon

Rv dc tv

Hi all,

Bullet 24RKS here. We've owned it about a year. It came with the Polaroid 28" TV. But the TV is AC only, which means if I'm not plugged in, I must run the generator to watch TV. Seems like a waste, since I spend most of my time boondocking.

I'm asking opinions. Should I replace the TV with a DC LED TV or has anyone ever tried just plugging in a 12V 1000W inverter? The inverter would, of course be 20% of the price of a new TV.

Thoughts?
btallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

There are some nice 12V LED TVs on the market.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

That 28" LED TV probably requires about 75 watts to operate. You can plug a 100 watt inverter into a cigarette lighter socket, plug the TV into that and operate it from your existing wiring in the trailer with no modifications.

DO NOT EXCEED THE TRAILER'S 12 VDC WIRING CAPACITY.

Note: My "guestimate" of your TV power requirement is just that, a guess, so verify the actual input wattage requirement before buying a "much smaller inverter" than that 1000 watt one. As for price, a 100 or 150 watt inverter typically costs around $25-35.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:04 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I will have to look at the 12V TVs at work and see if I can find out how many watts.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That 28" LED TV probably requires about 75 watts to operate. You can plug a 100 watt inverter into a cigarette lighter socket, plug the TV into that and operate it from your existing wiring in the trailer with no modifications.

DO NOT EXCEED THE TRAILER'S 12 VDC WIRING CAPACITY.

Note: My "guestimate" of your TV power requirement is just that, a guess, so verify the actual input wattage requirement before buying a "much smaller inverter" than that 1000 watt one. As for price, a 100 or 150 watt inverter typically costs around $25-35.
This is exactly what I do. It works great.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:37 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by btallon View Post
Hi all,

Bullet 24RKS here. We've owned it about a year. It came with the Polaroid 28" TV. But the TV is AC only, which means if I'm not plugged in, I must run the generator to watch TV. Seems like a waste, since I spend most of my time boondocking.

I'm asking opinions. Should I replace the TV with a DC LED TV or has anyone ever tried just plugging in a 12V 1000W inverter? The inverter would, of course be 20% of the price of a new TV.

Thoughts?

I don't want to sound sarcastic but "boondocking", requiring TV??? I've spent many years actually boondocking and never dreamed of TV. When in the boonies I want to get away from TV!!!! If you require "non boondocking" items like AC, TV etc. you need a generator....or a large battery array to power that inverter. But then again, is that actually boondocking??
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:52 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't want to sound sarcastic but "boondocking", requiring TV??? I've spent many years actually boondocking and never dreamed of TV. When in the boonies I want to get away from TV!!!! If you require "non boondocking" items like AC, TV etc. you need a generator....or a large battery array to power that inverter. But then again, is that actually boondocking??
Or maybe a variation on Glamping
Old 05-25-2020, 06:53 PM   #8
btallon

To each his own

Quote:
To each his own. Frankly, since COVID, I'm sitting in my TT, miles away from anyone and am able to work remotely, watch TV and do most of the things I would do from home. Call it what you will, but my view is second to none and much better than an office. And yes, I want to watch TV now and again.
btallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #9
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by btallon View Post
To each his own. Frankly, since COVID, I'm sitting in my TT, miles away from anyone and am able to work remotely, watch TV and do most of the things I would do from home. Call it what you will, but my view is second to none and much better than an office. And yes, I want to watch TV now and again.
For sure. I like to watch TV when I’m camping off grid too. If I didn’t want to be comfortable and enjoy the amenities of a trailer, I would still be backpacking.

Like I mentioned before, I use a small inverter with a 12v plug on it and plug my regular TV into the inverter. It works great. I have two six volt golf cart batteries and they provide plenty of TV watching power.

Here is my set up if you are interested-

https://youtu.be/iaQZY_naOdE
Old 05-26-2020, 04:27 AM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

Look at the data plot on the back of the tv. Wattage is usually well within the range of a cigar lighter inverter. I expect installing a 1000 watt inverter would be a lot more than 20% the coast of a 12 volt tv.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #11
Ken / Claudia

Where ever I dry camp there is no reception for TV and I am not going with a dish or satellite. I do use the genny and watch movies at times. I keep up on news with the radio.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #12
Canonman

For the DW and I, an evening movie while camping can be quite enjoyable. We're set up much like Mike. You could use the existing TV and just add a 300w inverter (about $35) and be done with it. We use a solar panel for recharging the batteries but that's about the only difference. You could certainly run the generator for a couple hours to top the batteries off when needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0689 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	27595  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #13
LewisB

Quote:
It turns out there actually are "rules" for boondocking: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/f...telprdb5121831
However, I couldn't find one that says "no TV". Probably the closest I could get was to be considerate with creating sound (stereos, generators, etc.). The DW and I love to "boondock" AND we love to commonly watch a movie.

I'd recommend the OP consider going with an inverter rather than a DC TV. As noted by others, it is quite common to not be able to get a TV signal while boondocking. So attachments to your TV (DVD, Blue Ray, Satellite, etc.) are probably going to be required which means you will still probably need 120VAC power for some things. We have an HD TV and use a Blue Ray player. An inverter is quite handy not only for TV related stuff, but also for charging camera batteries, flashlights, etc.

Guess we are just lawless rule-breakers!...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

Anyone who posts as much as I do probably enjoys staring at the boob-toob. I have Dish in my camper along with a zillion DVDs. We are a few seasons into NYPD Blue (nice to be old and not remember watching when the show was current). The OTA TV at campgrounds where we camp generally isn't exciting; usually have QVC and LAFF channel and perhaps that channel that shows criminal shows and that is about it. At least 19 Spanish language channels through... might have to learn the lingo!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:29 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I want to clarify that I didn't say, or mean, there are "laws" that prevent one from running a genny or watch TV while boondocking.....I've done both. Heck, back when the Cowboys under Tom Landry were always in the playoffs and I was an avid fan, I would take a small 12" DC TV with me deer hunting, put it on the tailgate and take time off from hunting to try to watch the blurry game while wiggling the rabbit ears. I get it.

My comment was as much tongue in cheek as anything. Watch TV while boondocking - the 2 things are contrary to me I guess. Boondocking, to me, is being in the "wild" (read unimproved, non developed campsites) away from everyone where I go to enjoy nature, cook out, explore etc. With the newer, larger trailers I don't do that anymore, but when I did boondock I went with a purpose (see above) and that's what I pretty much did until bed time (much to DW's chagrin). I didn't watch, or want, a TV. I even carried a generator but that was to keep the batteries up and occasionally run the AC (but is that boondocking?).

Anyway, there is no right way or wrong way (as long as it's legal and considerate of others and mother nature). Boondocking is a relative term that means different things to different folks. I certainly understand camping in non developed areas (pretty) and wanting to watch TV or whatever and knew many on the forum did. Just a little clarification that I didn't mean, or say, there were any legalities involved in watching TV while "boondocking". So fire up that 10k generator, kick on those 2 15k ACs, turn on that 55" HDTV and turn up that 1200 watt sound system and go "boondocking"!!! (That is supposed to be a funny, not sarcasm or slighting anyone! To each his own)
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #16
Logan X

Quote:
I want to clarify that I didn't say, or mean, there are "laws" that prevent one from running a genny or watch TV while boondocking.....I've done both. Heck, back when the Cowboys under Tom Landry were always in the playoffs and I was an avid fan, I would take a small 12" DC TV with me deer hunting, put it on the tailgate and take time off from hunting to try to watch the blurry game while wiggling the rabbit ears. I get it.

My comment was as much tongue in cheek as anything. Watch TV while boondocking - the 2 things are contrary to me I guess. Boondocking, to me, is being in the "wild" (read unimproved, non developed campsites) away from everyone where I go to enjoy nature, cook out, explore etc. With the newer, larger trailers I don't do that anymore, but when I did boondock I went with a purpose (see above) and that's what I pretty much did until bed time (much to DW's chagrin). I didn't watch, or want, a TV. I even carried a generator but that was to keep the batteries up and occasionally run the AC (but is that boondocking?).

Anyway, there is no right way or wrong way (as long as it's legal and considerate of others and mother nature). Boondocking is a relative term that means different things to different folks. I certainly understand camping in non developed areas (pretty) and wanting to watch TV or whatever and knew many on the forum did. Just a little clarification that I didn't mean, or say, there were any legalities involved in watching TV while "boondocking". So fire up that 10k generator, kick on those 2 15k ACs, turn on that 55" HDTV and turn up that 1200 watt sound system and go "boondocking"!!! (That is supposed to be a funny, not sarcasm or slighting anyone! To each his own)
Thanks for the clarification Danny. I did not take any offense whatsoever to your anti TV sentiment. Of course everyone has their preferred method of camping. But obviously there are two distinct groups mentioned in this thread here. Those that watch TV while boondocking and those that are doing it wrong...
Old 05-31-2020, 08:48 AM   #17
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Ours came with the same AC only Polaroid TV. I wanted to use an inverter, but there was no 12 volt plug. There was however a 12 Volt DC sound system right there. The amp capacity for was enough to run a 12 volt plug. I picked one up on EBAY, and wired it in. Now my 100 watt plug in inverter works great running the TV.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:44 PM   #18
mr. parker

One interesting thing to consider. Our keystone trailer came with a 24 inch "ac" 24 inch Summit tv. But, upon closer inspection, the power cord had a ac/DC converter box in it. Converted to 12v dc. So, I found a cigarette lighter type power cord with the same barrel connector that the tv set uses, plugged it in and have been happily watching dc television for several years.

Side note, after that discovery, I learned my lg blu ray player was the same way.

So if your power cord has a box on it, read the specs. I've gotten lucky twice now.
mr. parker is offline   Reply With Quote