Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #1
paulprice

Awning Wind sensor add on module, scam, or worth every penny

Wind sensors, you guys buying them for your awnings?
paulprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulprice View Post
I am finding with our 2020 cougar and its accessories, there are little "extras" that the trailer/accessories are almost capable of except for one additional part that is required that can be purchased. That part just snaps into place. I have not found one of those parts to cost under a hundred bucks so far.
Awning wind sensor = 109 dollars
Awning Motion light sensor = 110
Pre wired Backup camera = 400
Pre wired side backup camera = 400
Pre wired 4g Wifi Router = 500

I love all this new tech but its really off putting to not include the feature in the device and then nickel and dime the consumer on proprietary parts to gain the full functionality.

I could be the guy telling other campers, friends and family about my cool new awning that rolls itself in when it gets windy, but for now I'm the guy who says, If I spend another 220 bucks that awning is really cool. Or i'm the guy who regrets not taking it up the tail pipe and having the awning ripped off his rig, or I'm the guy who didn't even realize my awning could do such things.

Anyhow, wind sensors, you guys buying them for your awnings?
Buy a new truck, look at all the "neat stuff in the accessories catalog in the owner's manual"... Buy a new dryer, look at the "optional at extra cost Bluetooth connection and the sweater drying rack" Buy a new cordless drill with battery and charger and look at the "drill bits optional statement", buy a new trailer and there's a 500 page catalog the dealership will give you so you can "shop at your leisure".....

As for wind sensors. Some people love them, some people never use them and some people ask, "What's that for?" IMHO, it's another thing to spend money on that you can't get back when you sell it and that you probably won't ever use after you get it installed and test it (except to gain bragging rights in the campground)…. YEP, just like that drill, bits are optional. Doesn't matter that the drill is totally useless without them, you have to buy them separately.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Me: Wind blows, rattles awning and shakes trailer. Press button, awning retracts, problem solved. Cost: $0.00.

It’s amazing all the things we never knew we couldn’t live without, yet somehow managed to all these years.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Me: Wind blows, rattles awning and shakes trailer. Press button, awning retracts, problem solved. Cost: $0.00.

It’s amazing all the things we never knew we couldn’t live without, yet somehow managed to all these years.
YUP!!! Not worth additional cost if it wasn't "factory"

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
travelin texans

Those wind sensors use to be on mid to high level RVs, but are an option nowadays. I've had friends with them that could never get them set to work properly, either every little whisp of wind causes them to retract or took hurricane force winds before they ever thought of rolling up.
I'm like Rob, get out of the recliner & hold the button down for about 10 seconds.......DONE!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:41 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

No recommendation on the wind sensor but for the complaint about the "extras". Did any brochure, advertisement, or sales person say that it did come with those accessories? By definition "a thing which can be added to something else in order to make it more useful, versatile, or attractive."
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
No recommendation on the wind sensor but for the complaint about the "extras". Did any brochure, advertisement, or sales person say that it did come with those accessories? By definition "a thing which can be added to something else in order to make it more useful, versatile, or attractive."
You mean like "lipstick on a pig" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You mean like "lipstick on a pig" ???
Or "putting mag wheels on a garbage truck". Now I'm showing my age!
Old 05-17-2020, 03:20 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Or "putting mag wheels on a garbage truck". Now I'm showing my age!
Thinking back to a time before station wagons were called SUV's, when I put "woodgrain Contact paper" on the sides of Mom's old station wagon and calling it a Woodie so my friends wouldn't laugh at me for driving a station wagon to school.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Thinking back to a time before station wagons were called SUV's, when I put "woodgrain Contact paper" on the sides of Mom's old station wagon and calling it a Woodie so my friends wouldn't laugh at me for driving a station wagon to school.....
Last wagon we had with the fake wood was a 1985 Pontiac Parisian. That thing was a true "land yacht" and looked like a wood boat.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:00 AM   #11
kksfish

Quote:
Last wagon we had with the fake wood was a 1985 Pontiac Parisian. That thing was a true "land yacht" and looked like a wood boat.
HaHa, in high school I hitch-hiked when I couldn’t bum a ride with friends before I would drive the Plymouth station wagon to school!
Old 05-18-2020, 06:54 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

For the longer time RVers, I and we learned mostly the hard way. Put awning out when in camp, re track if leaving the unit or over night and any time the wind picks up. I think just having the button handy so no need to go outside is nice on the electric awnings. If the unit came with wind sensors I would learn to use it. Not sure I will spend any extra for it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:00 PM   #13
rlh1957

We love our wind sensor with three sensitivity settings. Also got the motion detector for the led’s in the Solera awning arm. But works wonderful. A little pricey for something that should be industry standard on both.
You have to make a list of Wants and Needs and see where the dollars get spent first.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:20 PM   #14
LewisB

Tendinitis?

Don't even bother to get out of your camp chair (or bed). With our iN.Command system, rolling up the awning consists of picking up my smartphone and pushing the correct button! We close them at night and when away from camp, so no need for an "automatic" feature here.

Recently, I seem to recall a warning that my "constant smartphone use was setting me on a path towards tendinitis, and that arthritis was surely waiting around the corner". Between the awnings (3), the stabilizers, slide out rooms, the pumps and motors for various "necessities", a multitude of light switches, tank and fuel monitors, voltage, Amp/Hour, time remaining, generator controls, auto-start controls...on and on and on, I'm surprised our campsite is not glowing solid blue from all the bluetooth communications waves being passed from device to device and phone! It's getting to the point that a smartphone and internet connection will be required just for purchase and use of a trailer!

Now, I'm hearing health warnings! Getting phone fingers? Tendinitis? Arthritis? REALLY? This camping thing is getting dangerous! (ha-ha)
[Slow down there - before you jump me, this is intended to be a joke. I actually enjoy the technology and wanted to poke some fun at those of us who do!]
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #15
Folkie

When we looked at a 2019 Cougar 22RBS in the dealer lot it came Wind senor ready. Also had the local controls on the awning arm. Since we have camped a lot where we got caught away from the camper when the wind picks up that option sealed the deal for us and we ordered a 2020 on the spot. I then went home and ordered the wind sensor (annoyed of course that it was an option). Alas, when the new camper was delivered from the factory it came with the old awning design.
After I cooled down, a discussion with the factory sales rep revealed that they had enough issues with it that the smart awning was dropped from the new models. After talking some more I think the major cause for problems was owners not setting the sensitivity correctly for the conditions. For some the awning would retract with a slight breeze (annoying) for others it would not retract when needed (potentially damaging). When the awning gets damaged then the fight starts on who has to pay (owner, dealer, awning manufacture, sensor OEM or Keystone) enter the lawyers. So Keystone took the easy (cheap) way out and discontinued it.
All that said, if I had the smart awning I would still get the sensor figuring it would be cheap insurance for that one time when I forgot to bring it in or we get a sudden wind blow in.
I would like from any others who can share their experience good or bad.
Folkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:40 AM   #16
Tdesrosiers

Not to hijack the thread, but how much wind can these awnings actually handle? Our Roo had a manual awning with stabilizing clamps half way up, and it was pretty rugged, lasted 11 years before succumbing to UV damage. This electric awning has no place for stabilizers, and flaps around in a light breeze.
Tdesrosiers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, mod