Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2020, 04:20 PM   #21
Vet4jdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Mustanger, I told them I wanted 2 for the coach and understood 1 was all it took for the residential fridge. Is that a mistake? We do not boondock.
We have 2 batteries. We ran our fridge in September for about 24 hours total on fully charged batteries before we needed to charge them. Two will work if you are on the road or without power for a day. Of course they are charging while driving.

We do not boondock either so we usually don't worry about this. A stop-over for 24 hours somewhere without power will not create a problem on two batteries.

I also measured our Samsung fridge and without the doors, it is 24 1/2" deep. Our entry door is approximately 27 1/2" wide so it WILL come out the door with the fridge doors removed if a replacement is required.

We were skeptical of the residential fridge when we were looking at campers and I actually wanted the RV Fridge but when my wife fell in love with the bathroom size and the double sinks, we bought our 331RL with the residential fridge.

After one full season of camping, I'm glad we have it and wouldn't go back!

Last note, I have 30 amp service by my house so I leave our AC unit on when parked at home to keep the ambient temps below 100 degrees. When it's hot out, the AC will run some each day but the fridge is not working overtime. I have learned that our 2019 MHC is better insulated and does NOT get as hot inside as our old 2013 Mountaineer. On a 90 degree day, our Mountaineer would exceed 90 inside. The 331RL is usually around the same temp inside as the outside temp. Not sure why but it just works out that way?
Old 01-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Thank you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #23
Mikendebbie

Our fridge has run flawlessly and continuously since we bought the unit (late January 2018). We are plugged in at the S&B and it runs on the inverter when we travel, and of course we are plugged in when we camp. Love the residential fridge!
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #24
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Mustanger, I told them I wanted 2 for the coach and understood 1 was all it took for the residential fridge. Is that a mistake? We do not boondock.
Really not sure if a mistake, just what ours was supplied with, 2 size 24's for the coach and 2 size 27's for the fridge. I do remember that when we first looked at the Alpine line at a show, the salesman made a point to advise that this dealer provided 2 batteries for the fridge (he didn't mention the 2 coach batteries). I'm beginning to think my dealer is better than I thought.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Really not sure if a mistake, just what ours was supplied with, 2 size 24's for the coach and 2 size 27's for the fridge. I do remember that when we first looked at the Alpine line at a show, the salesman made a point to advise that this dealer provided 2 batteries for the fridge (he didn't mention the 2 coach batteries). I'm beginning to think my dealer is better than I thought.

Thanks! I'm at the point I can tell them to put whatever I want in it. What I posted is from what I've read and pure ignorance. If it needs 2 batteries for the inverter I need to know that because it's not what I've conveyed. Again, thanks and I'll dig deeper.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:16 AM   #26
notanlines

Unless boondocking is in one's future, two 6 or 12 volt batteries will easily be sufficient. I see no reason to add two more batteries to haul around and maintain.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:17 AM   #27
gearhead

I think you will be happy with it. We have a LG in the Oshkosh. I worried over it while making the deal. We have two 12 volt batteries. We have boondocked once, for 3 days in Charlotte N.C. in November. Biggest problem was us staying warm. I ran 2 Honda 2000's to be sure we kept the batteries up and run the fridge and furnace. I did disconnect the icemaker (at the valve under the sink) and drained the solenoid through an outside valve. I would be sure the dealer shows you how, and you are clear about how to do this so you don't freeze the icemaker line in cold weather.
Johns issue of travel in hot weather is a concern. But that gives me more ammunition to motivate the wife that we have to get on the road early so we can stop and get hooked up before mid afternoon heat. I've got a beer/bait fridge and an upright freezer in the garage that has survived Houston heat, so far.
Go for it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #28
moodman

I have a Montana HC but it has the gas fridge. I love it. No problems at all. I have also heard about reliability problems with residential fridges. The basic problem is that regular refrigerators don't like to be bounced around. It damages the compressor.
But its probably too late to change your mind now. Enjoy it!
Old 01-30-2020, 09:56 AM   #29
Gfrenz

5 Years and 35,000 miles and no problems Have run it on batteries for 3 days max. Love my Samsung. Note I keep my freezer at -2 degrees
Gfrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #30
joy14

Have to replace our residential fridge.

We have a 2016 High Country we ordered new; it has a Samsung residential fridge. We have been Rving for almost 20 years and always had the 3-way RV fridge in the past. Last summer the Samsung began freezing items in the lower portion of the fridge and the freezer will not maintain recommended temps. We were advised the Samsung fridge we had was known to have problems, the drain plugs were too small for the fridge and application. They advised as a first step to empty the refrigerator, turn it off for 24 hours then restart and repack it. We did, and it didn’t help. We are from Florida and that was the height of summer which we spent on the east coast in triple digits. When we got in cooler temps, it wasn’t such a problem. Now that we’re in AZ with the temps rising, the fridge isn’t working as good again and we’re looking at replacing it. We have been told a coupe times that 4 years is about the life expectancy of a residential fridge in an RV and both repair shops quoted replacing it through the back window (although I measured and believe it can be moved through the door if the fridge doors are removed). We have a 5-year warranty on the fridge but Samsung said we have to pay for the service call to determine if the problem is the “refrigeration system” then I should pay for the repair and request reimbursement. I’m leaning toward replacing it and hoping to get more then 4 years out of the next one. LOVE the residential fridge! You only need one 12 volt battery to run the inverter for it and the 2nd 12 volt battery is your “house” battery to run your other RV systems. We have been boondocking for a couple months now running the inverter off 2 dedicated 6 volt batteries with 100 watt solar and help from our Honda 2000 genies. We’ve decided to install a solar system with lithium batteries so we don’t have to run the generators as often and can keep our residential fridge. Hope this helps!
joy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #31
gearhead

^^^We got a Good Sam warranty, with a $500 deductible, mostly because of the refrigerator.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:26 AM   #32
sonofcy

Quote:
Committing to a new Montana HC with a residential fridge. Always thought I preferred a regular RV fridge (never owned a residential) but we don't dry camp any longer. If I did I would just tote a genny.

My question/concern; we've talked to a couple of folks here in the park that have them and they rave about them so I wasn't too concerned. Watched a walk thru video of the unit we intend to buy (331RL) and the guy commented about the problems with the residential fridges. Never heard that (reliability/failures). Any comments/thoughts/insights? I have a deposit on the unit, have to clear things here and get back to pick it up with the understanding it has to pass muster so I can move to something else if this is a big issue.
Thanks.
We have a Samsung 28cf residential fridge. Wife would not have anything else, just a superior fridge with a real freezer. The only issue is if you want to boondock a lot you will need a much bigger battery bank. Minimum would be 4 Trojan T105's and a lot of solar plus inverter generator and new charger. The problem is with lead acid batteries the recharge time is simply too long. Lithium charges waaaaaay faster and is a good match to solar. However if you are not full time and boondocking a lot stick with FLA and a serious inverter generator plus an upgraded charger, otherwise go Lithium and a hybrid inverter etc, see AM Solar. Remember, in Dec in Phoenix 1,000 watts of solar will only generate 2,400 watt hours per day per 1,000 watts of solar. That is probably enough for the fridge (1,500wh/d) and some incidentals otherwise you will need more than 6 170W panels.
Any talk of unreliability of a Samsung fridge is just a RV store sour grapes about not selling you the replacement std RV fridge every so many years. The Samsung will outlive your trailer by many years. BTW, peak amperage in ours is 3 amps, not like the old compressors at 12 amps plus.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #33
sonofcy

My 2018 Montana has 28" door opening. Samsung residential fridge is 24.5" with doors off.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #34
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
That will be a problem. What do ya do pull the slide out?
Only issue I have with mine is the inverter trips sometimes.
Change the size of the wires between the inverter and battery by at least 1 size to stop the tripping.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #35
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Change the size of the wires between the inverter and battery by at least 1 size to stop the tripping.
I'll take a look at the wire sizes when I get it out of storage.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #36
CaptnJohn

Doors off it will fit through the 5er door. Tell my wife you are going to replace her res fridge with a camper fridge and you better have running shoes on.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #37
bfisher003

After constantly fighting for cold temperatures with previous RV fridges we love the 18cu’ residential (with icemaker) in our Montana. Just set the temps and forget it. Stays nice and cold an the ice cream stays hard. Lots of room in it (probably too much room; it usually looks half empty). We’ve had ours over a year and 12K miles of towing without any problem whatsoever. And yes, we like to boondock, so currently have two lithium batteries and 400 watts of solar and about to add another 200 watts and later this year another lithium. We also pack a generator. I think you will love the residential.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:54 PM   #38
gearhead

" BTW, peak amperage in ours is 3 amps, not like the old compressors at 12 amps plus."
That's what I'm seeing on mine as well.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:03 AM   #39
SR71 Jet Mech

We’ve had ours 4 years and love it so far. We DO boondock quite often and the 2 group 24 batteries from dealer would only carry the fridge about 8 hours to 50% SOC. Within 3 months, 1 of those was shot. Switched to 6V bat. bank. If you’re plugged in you’ll be fine.
Not one problem with ours (so far). Wife would have nothing else. But, due to boondocking, our next will not be a residential. 22a on the 12v side when running.

Scott
We do not use the ice maker. Rather a table top unit.

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:20 AM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 Jet Mech View Post
We’ve had ours 4 years and love it so far. We DO boondock quite often and the 2 group 24 batteries from dealer would only carry the fridge about 8 hours to 50% SOC. Within 3 months, 1 of those was shot. Switched to 6V bat. bank. If you’re plugged in you’ll be fine.
Not one problem with ours (so far). Wife would have nothing else. But, due to boondocking, our next will not be a residential. 22a on the 12v side when running.

Scott
We do not use the ice maker. Rather a table top unit.

Scott,

Is there a particular reason you don't use the icemaker? We don't boondock and were just discussing this yesterday. We were thinking the new trailer with the icemaker would let us leave the table top ice maker at home. Is that incorrect?

Tags
fridge