Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
jsmith948

San Antonio to Galveston Island

Reaching out to folks familiar with East Texas. We are planning a trip for mid- January to San Antonio and then over to Galveston. We had originally planned to go to Corpus Christi, but, due to the hurricane damage, we've decided to change it to Galveston.

RV Trip wizard has routed us through Houston. I was wondering if I would be better off using Alt 90 through Gonzales then 59 to 6 in order to avoid Houston. Any advice or opinions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Jack, not ever taken the route you propose but TX highways are generally pretty good. I have however been through Houston many times. The first trip through it I said I would never return but life had other plans for me.....and I did. Like any big metro area what you encounter is dependent on a dozen factors and it might be uneventful or hours of irritation.

Depending on your timeline you might consider dropping off hwy 6 before Manvel and taking 288 down to Surfside then on into Galveston. It's a pretty nice drive and even when we come in on I45 and stay in Galveston we always make that drive anyway. When in Galveston try to catch dinner at Gaido's - about as good as it gets in Galveston IMO. If you're taking kids drop by the Rainforest Café with them and let them take in the place. Have a good trip.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Reaching out to folks familiar with East Texas. We are planning a trip for mid- January to San Antonio and then over to Galveston. We had originally planned to go to Corpus Christi, but, due to the hurricane damage, we've decided to change it to Galveston.

RV Trip wizard has routed us through Houston. I was wondering if I would be better off using Alt 90 through Gonzales then 59 to 6 in order to avoid Houston. Any advice or opinions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Alt. 90 out of Seguin is a pretty good way to make the trip. Any driving through Houston is not. If you come through San Antonio, try to do it in non-peak hours; say 9AM till 2PM or at night. Getting through town driving an RV isn't terrible but non-peak is best. Take IH10 to Seguin then Alt 90 and the route you picked out. I NEVER drive through Houston if it can be avoided and it is hard to drive around it due to toll roads and continual construction. Once you get near Houston on Alt 90 the Hwy 6 to IH45 is probably the best ride. Last, think most of the damage caused by Harvey along the coast is pretty much fixed up by now. Rockport and Corpus are my favorites when headed to the coast. They are also an easy drive.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
gearhead

Being a native Houstonian and living in the area all my life, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. Try this, depending on timeline, Run old US90 from Segiun, and by all means stop at Bucee's at Seguin. Then to Gonzales, site of the "Come and Take it" Texas revolution event. My kinfolk wrote the letter "Come and Take It". You'll see a lot of the bumper stickers here. There is a park and museum in town. Then on to Shiner, home of Shiner beer. After that whichever way you want to Galveston. If the weather is mild, and you have time, cross over to Bolivar on the ferry and dine at Stingaree Marina. Up on the deck you can watch the boat/barge traffic on the Intercoastal Waterway. Very very casual.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
jsmith948

Thanks to all those that replied. Currently, we are looking at Jamaica Beach RV Park. A little pricey, but looks to be a really nice park. Looked at the SP north of there. Great price and location but would like to have sewer hook up.

We switched from Corpus Christi after seeing on the internet that Goose Island was still closed for repairs. Assumed (yeah, I know) that the commercial parks would still be under reconstruction as well. We were all set to head there in the fall of 2017, but Mother Nature had other ideas.

So we're still considering and re-considering. Thanks again for the feed back. I'm not at all afraid of urban traffic. Drove semi to and through L.A. for many, many years. Just wanted to check on the Alt 90 route. Thanks again for your replies.

Ain't this forum great!?.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
Mikendebbie

We spent July 4 in Port Aransas at Lafite’s Retreat RV Park. Goose Island may be closed but we did not see any damage from the hurricane - not in Corpus or rockport or Aransas pass - certainly nothing for you to consider canceling a visit to the area. It’s a great area anytime of the year.

As for traveling thru Houston...we took a quick trip to Clear Lake (southeast suburb) for the birth of our first grandchild (grandson!). Hooked up the RV and left Austin at 6:00 and hit Beltway 8 well after rush hour and took it around the west side to I45 south. Got set up at Jetstream RV Park and we were in the Hospital waiting room by 11:00. It was GREAT! This is the way we will travel in Houston for future trips...AT NIGHT!
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote