Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2020, 04:55 AM   #1
lisa101004

Potentially going to buy a 2018 369BHS

We found a 2018 Cougar 5th Wheel 369BHS that we liked at dealer. The price seems reasonably low compared to other campers of the same model. By the hitch there is a puncture in the fiberglass and some dents, scratches and the latch is broken. It is scratched from one side to the other in a "radial" pattern. Even the rubber mold was damaged. I can barely fit my finger in the puncture. Also the previous owner put 4 eye bolts in the back of the camper through to the bunkhouse. Could the eye bolts potentially cause a problem later? The sales person said they did not see the damage located near the hitch. The dealer is going to put a light over the fiberglass where the puncture is. We are wondering if we should be concerned about buying the camper with that damage. Also could there be any issues with the eye bolts being installed. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6325.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	27748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6307.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	27749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6304.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	27750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6311.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	27751  
lisa101004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:04 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!
“Didn’t see the damage near the hitch”?
How could any competent person not see it. Me personally, I would question the integrity of the dealership and probably walk away.

You can replace the piece under the hitch, not cheap but doable. The eye bolts? I would be checking on how well they are sealed.

This is one deal I would probably walk away from based on the salesman’s comment.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:27 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree. Seeing the "damage to the front" and the dealer saying, "We didn't notice that".. Sure gives me a reason to be concerned. ANYBODY doing an inspection of the trailer would notice that damage. What I 'hear' the salesman saying is, "We hoped you wouldn't notice and buy it anyway".

With the eyebolts on the back, I'd wonder what was "strapped or tied" on the rear wall and how much damage has been done to the thin aluminum framework, how many of the welds have been cracked or torn away and how much it will cost to repair it after towing a few trips on the "wonderful roads" we all have to tow on....

This is one that even if they "give it to you to get it off the lot" the potential for repair costs is likely more than the value of the trailer.

I'd walk away, not only from that "trailer deal" but also from that "dealership" !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:45 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Run don't walk. 4 potential leaks in the back and an absolute leak in the front. Water is the enemy of any trailer or house. The damage in rot and mold may not show up for a while and then you have a disaster on your hands . Run from that deal and the dealer.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:20 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Well, I think all has been said so.....I echo the above thoughts and comments.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #6
travelin texans

Most salespeople are full of BS, but a dealer that will hire that person that'll stand looking at you & declare they never saw that kind of damage, makes you wonder what kind of dealership that is.

WALK AWAY!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #7
notanlines

Any chance this is in Pennsylvania? I priced about 40 '18 models and they went from 30K to 48K. 30K bothers me alot as does the general attitude of the lying dealer. Maybe I'm being a little harsh with them, but had they been honest we could guide you a little better on repairs. The eye bolts probably held kayaks and the holes could be dealt with, but I'd have to talk to the owner. Mainly don't rely on anything but more BS from the dealer.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #8
lisa101004

Yes the dealer is in Pennsylvania. I found the orginal owner and spoke with him about the camper. We feel better after speaking with him. We are just concerned as why the price is so low.
lisa101004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Not wanting to be the kill Joy of the party here but......

I think you are making a HUGE mistake considering this move. In other posts you state your plans to tow this with a 3/4 ton truck. The addition of air bags does not increase load capacity. The trailer is damaged and the dealer obviously hoped you didn't notice it. Most likely scenario? You could end up spending thousands upon thousands repairing the damages to the trailer while driving a grossly overloaded truck. Just trying to be real.
Good luck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:14 PM   #10
Gegrad

I actually could buy the damage not being noticed more than others on here because it is possible the damage is recent after the took it in. One of the workers moving it around could have inadvertently damaged it during one of the lot shuffles and didn't report it for fear of being terminated and the salesman may have legitimately not seen it....

What would give me pause is, after claiming they didn't see the damage in the front, their solution was to "cover it with a light". A competent dealer would either have that repaired, or give you a larger discount, not offer to "cover the damage with a light". That's a shady dealer that I would be running from ASAP.

For comparison, when I bought my current rig (also in Pennsylvania ironically), during PDI I found the rear hatch door under the bunk bed was soft. I poked and prodded all around the door and the floors and walls were all solid. I realized the damage was confined to the hatch door as the door just wasn't sealed right from the factory and had just gotten spongy. My dealer immediately ordered a new door from Keystone before I left the lot and had it shipped to my house (took a few weeks to arrive) where I installed it myself. That's a big difference to your situation.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

My thoughts go back to my post #5.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote