Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
DrLuke

50 amp installation power issue

I just had a 50 amp pedestal installed at my home for my 2019 Cougar.
I have all the correct amps (110 both sides of plug) with green and white wires neutral and ground in the correct place. I have power at the cord (end) at the trailer connection and also have power at my breakers inside the coach. The only thing that comes on is microwave. I have 110 power to my outlets. When turning on and off at one point my in demand system did come on. All my appliances had power and was able to run both AC's. I thought all was well. I left for a few hours and came back and back to square one. No breakers have flipped and only getting power to microwave.

What am I missing? A reset somewhere?
DrLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:40 AM   #2
bobbecky

Even though a breaker may appear to be closed, it might be best to fully turn off each one, all the way off and then fully switch it back closed. Many times a breaker can trip with no movement in the handle. I would do that to all your breakers, starting at the main panel breaker that feeds your RV pedestal circuit, all the way out to all the breakers in the trailer.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
LewisB

A couple of questions:
  • What is your L1 to L2 voltage? You mention L1 to ground and L2 to ground but not L1 to L2.
  • What do your circuit breakers at the source for your pedestal look like? The source should be a single pull/double throw 50A breaker that connects to both halves of the normal home 240V residential service.
Double check your installation and insure it meets the following requirements:50-amp Service.pdf

You should have 120V between each power wire to ground, 120V between each power wire to neutral, and 240V between the two power wires.

Double check the breakers at the source of your pedestal. It almost sounds like 1/2 of your source breaker for the pedestal is kicking after a few minutes of providing power. When only the microwave will run, at the pedestal check the phase to ground and phase to phase voltages per attached. If they are correct, then the problem has to be in your supply cord to the RV or in the RV itself.

Just a thought...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
DrLuke

Thanks. The breaker is what you described along with wiring diagram.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
DrLuke

Voltages are as you described as well.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
DrLuke

Thank you. We had tried this several times. At a loss.
Being a relative novice to the RV I wasn't sure if there was a reset somewhere or a 12 volt issue. But with having it run initially I just am not sure. The electrician is certain it is all correct
Old 05-26-2020, 02:34 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

First, I'd ask this: Has this trailer ever been plugged into a 50 amp circuit somewhere else? Did it work properly there? If yes, I'd suspect the new power source. If no, and the electrician is sure the power source is wired correctly, I'd suspect the trailer or the shore power cable.

So, is anything, power plug, shore cable or trailer confirmed to have been operational in the past?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:39 PM   #8
CedarCreekWoody

Have you checked the voltage on the buss bars themselves? You may have a loose connection where incoming power connects to the buss bars. After unplugging from power check that all connections are tight.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
DrLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
First, I'd ask this: Has this trailer ever been plugged into a 50 amp circuit somewhere else? Did it work properly there? If yes, I'd suspect the new power source. If no, and the electrician is sure the power source is wired correctly, I'd suspect the trailer or the shore power cable.

So, is anything, power plug, shore cable or trailer confirmed to have been operational in the past?

Yes. It has been fine without problems. We had a 30 amp pedestal and switched to the 50. Was working off of an adapter at home on the 30 without problems.
I just found out, maybe, that the battery 12 volt runs the other system. Somehow the battery was drained but I thought should charge when hooked to shore power.
I am recharging battery now to see what happens.

Tags
power