Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
Sheldrake

Trailer Cover

Is it necessary to cover your travel trailer in the winter when we do not use it
Sheldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
Canonman

Many on the forum will tell you no, don't cover your TT. I have always covered ours. We cover in October and don't uncover until May. My theory is for 6 months the sun and weather aren't effecting the roof, sides and front cap. We have cold snowy winters here so I'm in the use a cover camp. So far, this latest cover has lasted 5 seasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL7995.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	470.2 KB
ID:	30274  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
GordKey22

We just purchased, this spring, a used Hideout. 22BKSWE

We plan on covering it for the winter. We get lots and lots of rain, some snow, and some consistent days/weeks of freezing weather.

I am covering it just to prevent the "wear and tear" that the weather will cause.
GordKey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:16 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordKey22 View Post
We just purchased, this spring, a used Hideout. 22BKSWE

We plan on covering it for the winter. We get lots and lots of rain, some snow, and some consistent days/weeks of freezing weather.

I am covering it just to prevent the "wear and tear" that the weather will cause.
If you feel you must cover it be sure the cover material is very breathable especially if in an area with lots of moisture or mold/mildew will be a bigger issue than it being uncovered. Typically RVs are designed to be used outdoors & be weather proof.
A good wax job would be a much better option than a cover.
Search for "covers" on here & you'll find the majority, most with cover experience, will recommend no cover.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:14 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

RV covers have 2 issues. 1, they make great ladders and nesting areas for mice and 2 they WILL beat the finish up in windy conditions.

NEVER use a tarp, they do not breath and will trap moisture under them and cause mold and rot.

Drive by any RV dealer and you will not find the dealer covering trailers. Drive by any storage lot and you will only find a few trailers covered. Those will be the "newbies" and typically they'll cover it for a year or two (until the cover they bought self destructs( then they won't cover it again.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:30 AM   #6
BrooksFam

To respond to your question, it is not necessary. I cover if not going to be used for several months. Helps keep the dust and dirt accumulation and black streaks down. We camp year round most of the time, but November to February (holidays) not usually and its covered then. We will be living in ours this winter while house is being built, so no cover this season.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

For the OP (and anyone reading this who lives in extremely cold climates), if you use a cover on your RV, ice and snow will effectively "freeze the cover to the roof structures on your RV, making removal of the cover "impossible" until all the ice/snow melts away from the fragile plastic components mounted on the roof.

So, if there's a "remote chance" that you plan to use the RV in the early spring, change your plans because you won't get the cover off the RV until the weather warms enough to melt virtually all the ice/snow off the roof. We got "caught in that trip" the first year we lived in northern Michigan. We had planned to leave for a warmer area in February. The cover on our trailer was frozen solid to the TPO roof until near the end of April.... It's "impossible" to tow the trailer with the cover frozen to the roof.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
travelin texans

As I posted on another asking the same question, if you are covering it there are a few requirements as to the type of cover I'd use;
A roof
Preferably a concrete slab
Side walls are optional
Water/sewer/electric at the slab

As John mentioned about the ice/snow there's also wind. If it's windy where you're at there's a good possibility that the cover flapping will chaffe every corner & the cover will be torn to bits in a season or 2.
Then there's putting it on/off. If you are not physically able to carry that thing up a ladder then wrestle it around on the roof while hopscotching over all the protrusions all while 10-12'+ above the ground then you may want to pass on the cover. Is your rv roof walkable, if not how are you going to install it?
Just some food for thought!
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #9
ChuckS

I live in Idaho so we do get quite a bit of cold weather with temps down at 6 degrees or lower.. our fifth wheel isn’t covered . It will often accumulate a foot or more of snow on the roof..

Slides are of course in during non use.. I also open the door up even with snow on the ground on a sunny day and let the air inside exchange...

Moisture inside is your worst enemy and will cause black mold... closets should have the door open to allow for exchange of air..

I don’t use any sort of moisture collector and have not...in seven winters had any mold or moisture issues..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	046C8627-EDA9-4057-87A1-127B3C1A85F6.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	30334  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:22 AM   #10
Alermon32

I believe it's better to cover it, but if I won't do it during the first year of usage? What are the most negative effects?
Alermon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alermon32 View Post
I believe it's better to cover it, but if I won't do it during the first year of usage? What are the most negative effects?
The biggest negative effects of not covering it is it'll need a bath come spring & you won't have to wait til April or May to wrestle the cover off to do it.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-19-2020, 05:03 PM   #12
CarolinaDawg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Many on the forum will tell you no, don't cover your TT. I have always covered ours. We cover in October and don't uncover until May. My theory is for 6 months the sun and weather aren't effecting the roof, sides and front cap. We have cold snowy winters here so I'm in the use a cover camp. So far, this latest cover has lasted 5 seasons.
What brand of cover do you use?
CarolinaDawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:27 AM   #13
Ddaddyo

We sold our 19 year old Nomad that had been covered each winter for the last 8 years. The Exterior looked better than the neighbors 10 year old Camper. We bought a 2017 and the first thing I ordered was a Cover. I got an Adco from etrailer.com. The cost was under $275. I use Plumbing Insulation anywhere I think the Cover may change.
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #14
Topglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldrake View Post
Is it necessary to cover your travel trailer in the winter when we do not use it
We bought our TT new in 2015. I’ve covered it every winter and it still looks brand new. We use a classic accessories rv cover from Amazon. I think by leaving them out in the elements when not in use it’s just unnecessary deterioration. This is why it’s so hard to buy a used RV (water damage and Major fading). A lot of people trade RVs so often they could give a damn what a harsh winter is doing to it. This is our last winter with the cover. We just put up a RV port but the sheet metal for the roof won’t be here in time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FBA0F4EF-C77A-4288-8071-79E434F91D52.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	30497  

2015 Keystone Bullet 272bhs
Topglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #15
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDawg1 View Post
What brand of cover do you use?
It's a Camco. I think it was their mid level version. It's held up well for us.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:32 PM   #16
InkedMarie

I can only tell you that Keystone does not recommend covering due to moisture. I was told it is in the owners manual but Keystone told me over the phone.

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #17
Northofu1

I covered my TT for two years no moisture problem. It was a poly pro 3, and was very well vented and zippered for access to front or rear of coach doors. The trailer was well sheltered from the wind but not leaves and needles.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:10 PM   #18
Canonman

Dawg,
Here's something you might want to take a look at:
Old 10-25-2020, 02:56 PM   #19
Northofu1

My trailer is stored in a snowbelt area. Was no issue I couldn't/wouldn't even attempt to pull it on these roads after the end of November to the end of April.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:54 PM   #20
GordKey22

Well, I just put an ADCO cover over mine.
It is a used trailer but still nice and shiny and I would like it to stay that way for a few years.
This will be the only (and the last) trailer like this that I will own.
The cover is a multi layer product, lots of zippers, vents, tie downs.
I have opened all the closets and cupboards. Opened all the storage areas.
I have an oscillating fan running to keep the air moving, plus, the bath vent is cracked and a bit of a window.
I will monitor to see how it goes.
GordKey22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover