Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2020, 10:50 AM   #21
CWtheMan

Let’s look at some numbers. I pulled the Keystone Specs for a 2020 Cougar ˝ ton 5th wheel; model 24RDS. It has a GVWR of 10,000# which includes a cargo capacity of 2,607#.

All portable water is cargo, says so right in your owner’s manual and vehicle labeling. Keystone uses 8.33# per gallon of water; I’m just using 8# to stay away from decimals.

When an owner loads up for a trip they should be reasonably sure of the weight their trailer is carrying for that trip. Water weight is the most forgotten weight carried. This particular model has a total water capacity of 1,200# (480# fresh - 240# black - 480# gray). When leaving a CG with all tanks almost full you’re, in all probably, overweight.

(I’m a tire poster, overweight means excess tire heat).

Some might ask how it's possible to leave a CG with a full bag of water. The picture below was taken at Coles Creek SP in upstate NY. Their sites are 30 AMP elect only. Throughout the park their are fresh water hydrants painted blue. You can keep adding water until all tanks are full. Fortunately, Coles Creek has dump stations at each park exit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NY Coles Creek SP on the St. Lawrence River - 8.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	30078
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:22 PM   #22
Morotcycle Todd

Full tank of fresh water for race weekends as there are no hookups at the track. Our current Jayflight has a 38 gal fresh tank and we have never run out of water during a 2.5 day race weekend. We often do a day or two at campground after a race weekend but I start draining what's left in the fresh tank as soon as we leave the track, then dump the grey and black before we leave campground.

The new toyhauler we will have next year has a 60 gallaon fresh tank, so I do not think I will be filling that up all the way.
Morotcycle Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing