Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
kirby bonds

Cougar lite floor construction

the floor on our 2016 28sgs cougar lite feels soft and will sag when stepped on. I suspect this is from water intrusion and I will jprobalby need to replace the floor. can anyone tell me what the construction of this floor is before I bite into it? I have read of various sandwich panel designs and would like to be prepared..
kirby bonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
Canonman

Most heat vents are in the floor. You could pull one of these and see what the floor material is. Probably chip board or plywood.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
kirby bonds

I looked at that and the vent has full tabs on top. I may need to be more aggressive with it
Old 04-27-2019, 05:25 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Look under the sink and you'll see where the drain penetrates the floor. There is a plastic "shield" stapled to the floor. Typically the hole is cut about 3" in diameter, so there's plenty of space to pull that plastic shield and look at how the floor is constructed. On my 2014, there is a 3/8" OSB sheet under the vinyl, 2" of Styrofoam insulation and a 1/8" luan sheet on the bottom. As stated previously, the heat ducting runs through parts of that "sandwich structure" so there is some flexing along the heat duct.

You should be able to get a pretty good idea on how your floor is constructed by looking under the sink.

REMEMBER: the upper deck floor is not sandwich construction. On mine, it's a 5/8" plywood sheet with no insulation under the bathroom and most of the bedroom since the front storage compartment is under that area.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:34 AM   #5
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I hope I never have a damaged floor situation. It' virtually impossible to change or repair the floor properly. Everything is on top of the floor including the exterior walls so where do you start/cut? You'll need good support for your patch by cutting on floor joists or somehow adding support, then a new floor covering. The original floor was put down first and everything on top. Imagine the cutting/fitting and the end result. It will never be the same! Very expensive to have it done properly.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:00 AM   #6
phinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby bonds View Post
the floor on our 2016 28sgs cougar lite feels soft and will sag when stepped on. I suspect this is from water intrusion and I will jprobalby need to replace the floor. can anyone tell me what the construction of this floor is before I bite into it? I have read of various sandwich panel designs and would like to be prepared..
Did you ever dig into this? We bought our 2012 in 2015 and the floor around the heat vent by the kitchen counter has always been a little soft. It seems to be only around that vent and not soft enough that we would fall through the floor. I have thought about going under the trailer to see if supports could be added that way instead of tearing up the floor.

Bruce & Tami
Carmichael, CA
'12 Cougar 28SGS, '18 Ford F250 CCSB, 6.7
3 kids, 6 G-kids, 3.1 dogs, 2 cats
phinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:41 AM   #7
ewbldavis

I'd expect the 2016 to be same as John's. Not sure when they went to the "light weight" floor construction. The 2012 might be old-school 1/2-3/4 plywood.

Our 2020 is same as John's, except no wood - the Styrofoam is sandwiched with a black plastic material.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:30 AM   #8
kirby bonds

I did not cut the floor out but went underneath and removed the heavy plastic sheet that sealed the area. Our floor construct appears to be 1/2 plywood top then 1 1/2 foam and finally a bottom sheet of 1/8 Liam plywood (door skin thick).

A caution when cutting into plastic sheet be sure to save as you will need to put it back with tape seam.

I was able to push up on the flooring to slide a 1/2 plywood on top of the joists and under the floor assembly. This helped stiffness of the floor. N

Tags
cougar, floor