Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #1
mldpolyglot

Electric Awning open/close sometimes doesn't work

Hello!

We have a 2018 Hideout 212lhs and have had problems with the electric awning not working consistently. Sometimes it will open or close all the way - sometimes it will open or close partially - and other times it won't open or close at all. When it gets stuck, my husband has to manually wiggle the roller while I press the Open/Close button inside the camper. Wondering if the awning motor needs to be oiled or if some other maintenance needs to be performed on it so that it doesn't get stuck.
mldpolyglot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
AbHDToyHauler

I am guessing that the connection at the roller motor is loose or bad. Otherwise wiggling it would have no effect.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
mldpolyglot

Thumbs up We'll look into the connection

Thanks for your input; we will have a look at the connection to the roller motor.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:35 PM   #4
Eastham

Mine was doing the same thing. The dealer replaced the motor under Warrentee. I haven't had any issues with it since it was replaced.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldpolyglot View Post
Hello!

We have a 2018 Hideout 212lhs and have had problems with the electric awning not working consistently. Sometimes it will open or close all the way - sometimes it will open or close partially - and other times it won't open or close at all. When it gets stuck, my husband has to manually wiggle the roller while I press the Open/Close button inside the camper. Wondering if the awning motor needs to be oiled or if some other maintenance needs to be performed on it so that it doesn't get stuck.
Awning motors are sealed units and not considered “serviceable”. Not hard to replace if not under warranty.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:16 PM   #6
mldpolyglot

Thanks

Thanks Chuckster57 - our unit is a year past the warranty, so we would have to replace the motor ourselves. I will look at purchasing one for our unit.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:17 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldpolyglot View Post
Thanks Chuckster57 - our unit is a year past the warranty, so we would have to replace the motor ourselves. I will look at purchasing one for our unit.
Check your AWNING warranty (not the Keystone Trailer warranty). Many (maybe even most) RV components and appliances have a 2 or 3 year warranty. Keystone doesn't warranty those items, they only service them during the first year and file the claim for you. After the first year, it's up to you or the service repairman to file the claim....

So, don't just "give up and pay for the motor" until you double check the warranty from either Lippert (if you have a solara awning) or from Dometic (if you have an A&E awning).

Also, even if you're out of warranty, do some "forum research" because there is a "car window motor" that is essentially a "plug and play" exchange for the awning motor in some awnings. Cost: RV awning motor $150 Car window motor: $18....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:11 AM   #8
mldpolyglot

We figured out the problem - the connection from the motor to the awning was loose. My husband opened up the motor housing and secured the connection, and now it's working fine!

Tags
awning