Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #1
jrhoads23

Outback 23RS two drain tube question

So I have done a search and found various posts about the two clear plastic drain tubes underneath. My 23RS has the belly panels so I cant see what anything really goes to, so all i see are these two plastic drain tubes. I thought one would connect to the belly of the fresh water tank but that's not the case. I have removed both caps and hooked up a hose to my fresh water input (not the city water input). My thinking was it would immediately drain out of one of those tubes... it didn't. I had my hose hooked up 5 minutes and nothing came out of either tube. Just for fun I turned on my water pump and it started spitting out of one of them. So one of those tube must come AFTER the water pump.

What does the other clear tube connect to?

I would have to think somewhere there is a drain from the belly of the fresh water tank... where is that? There are no more tubes hanging down
jrhoads23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
LHaven

You should have three drain tubes: "low-point drain" for cold and hot, and drain for fresh tank. You probably opened up one of the low-point drains, and so got no water until your pump passed it into the main system. Try looking some more in a different place (nearby your fresh water input is most likely).
Old 05-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
MarkEHansen

There should be some way to tell the difference in those two low point drains to indicate one is for the hot water line while the other is for the cold water line.

These are used to drain the water out of the hot/cold lines inside the trailer. See the owner's manual for details.

As lhaven said, there will be another drain all by itself, which is the fresh water tank drain.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #4
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
There should be some way to tell the difference in those two low point drains to indicate one is for the hot water line while the other is for the cold water line.
Usually, the caps are red and blue. I'd verify on my own rig, but it's (all together now) at the dealer's having work done.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:30 AM   #5
jsmith948

Our Cougar was built in the Pendleton, OR. factory. All of the pex tubing in the trailer was clear. The cold water lines and low point drain had blue lettering. The hot water lines and drain had red lettering. I don't know why. Our current trailer was built in Indiana. The cold water lines are blue and the hot water lines are red. Much more easily identified.

To the OP: the low point drains are usually very close together. The third, FW tank drain will be in the bottom of the FW tank. Find the tank and you will find the drain.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:22 AM   #6
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaven View Post
Usually, the caps are red and blue. I'd verify on my own rig, but it's (all together now) at the dealer's having work done.
Mine aren't. White caps on white tubes. I've still no real idea which is which, just open both when winterizing and de-winterizing. I could figure it out if I cared, but I never touch them when one might be warm.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
jrhoads23

Like GMcKenzie, mine both have white caps. I can fill my fresh water tank up with both caps removed and nothing comes out.

I crawled under my rig and did find this right below where the fresh water fill up hole is. I am guessing this is the fresh water tank drain? If so, how the heck do you open it??? It doesn't feel like it twists

Old 05-27-2019, 05:40 PM   #8
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhoads23 View Post
Like GMcKenzie, mine both have white caps. I can fill my fresh water tank up with both caps removed and nothing comes out.

I crawled under my rig and did find this right below where the fresh water fill up hole is. I am guessing this is the fresh water tank drain? If so, how the heck do you open it??? It doesn't feel like it twists

Looks broken to me.

I replaced my drain caps with irrigation valves. They look a bit bulky but are way cheaper than the proper RV valves. They are bigger so a bit easier to turn (for me).

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

That is the fresh tank drain.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

As Chuck said, that's the fresh water tank drain. It is NOT the OEM "capped tube" but apparently someone has replaced it with a "twist valve" drain.

You can buy a replacement (without the broken handle) at Amazon or at most RV parts stores. Here's the link for Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22243-D.../dp/B0006JLSN8

If I were you, I'd not install a new valve the way that one is installed. Access to the handle is the reason it's broken. You might want to unscrew that valve, look at the fitting on the bottom of your fresh water tank and think about going to Lowe's or Home Depot, in the plumbing department, and buy a nylon fitting and a short piece of PEX tubing and a "sharkbite valve" or a "sharkbite cap" and return it to "something like OEM"....

Here's a photo of the valve that's on your trailer. As you can see, the "twist valve handle" is broken. It can still be opened/closed by using pliers to catch the part that's left and twisting it to open/close the valve. My guess is that it won't last long if you do that, so I'd look at alternatives to repair it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FRESH WATER TANK DRAIN2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	21966  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:50 AM   #11
jrhoads23

Thanks for the info... I will be trying to remove the entire adapter to replace with something a little more user friendly. I just hope the plastic isnt so brittle at this point that it doesn't snap right off
Old 05-31-2019, 06:41 AM   #12
The John

my outback has the same clear tube and white plastic caps as others have described.

I like the caps better than a valve as I think they drain faster.
The John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, outback