Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
chartrand

Side refrigerator vent replacement with non vented cover

I’m replacing my Absorption refrigerator with an RV 12 volt compressor refrigerator. This style of refrigerator does not need the side vent, so I’m wondering if there is a solid version of the side vent I could get.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't know of a solid version. Probably the easiest way to seal the opening is to remove the existing vent, seal the back of it with either plastic or metal, using a sealant like ProFlex as an adhesive. Then, when dry, reinstall the vent. If your current refrigerator is in a slide, then close and seal the top vent the same way. If you have a roof vent, you'll need to seal that opening also.

Once that's done, after you remove the current refrigerator, cap/remove the gas line, you can cut and fit a 1/2" or 3/4" sheet of rigid foam over the entire back of the cabinet opening.

Doing it this way will give you or the next owner an opportunity to revert to an LPG/AC refrigerator if desired and will also maintain a "conventional appearance" on the outside of the RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:27 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I have dealt with 12V RV refers and all of the ones I’ve seen are still vented.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:58 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

ALL refrigerators need a vent. The basic principal of refrigeration is absorbing heat from inside the compartment and releasing it outside the compartment. Without a vent, where does the heat go?
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:51 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

My refrigerator in my home is not vented. I've not yet seen a residential refrigerator in an RV that is vented. Compressor refrigerators do not require "outside venting" and typically the cooling coils release their heat "through the bottom and to the front foot panel of the refrigerator. Any "self contained, compressor driven refrigerator is not "sealed" between the front and the back of the unit when installed, so any "opening to the outside" (as is present in an absorption refrigerator installation) will allow insects, hot/cold/humid air to enter the RV, flow around the refrigerator and into the cabin.

There's a significant difference in installation requirements/venting requirements for absorption refrigerators, whether they are LPG/Elec or LPG/Elec/12VDC and compressor driven refrigerators.

The reason venting is necessary in absorption refrigerators is not to release the "exchanged heat from inside the refrigerator/freezer, rather it's to vent/remove the heat produced by the LPG flame or the electric heating element (AC or 12 VDC) that is used to "boil the coolant liquid to convert it to a gas...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-25-2020, 05:28 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

The 12V refers I dealt with were in Coachman “Mirada” class b motorhomes. There was an “exhaust” fan, and venting at the top of the cabinet. It did put a minimal amount of heat back in the living quarters.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:07 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Chuck,

I believe the Mirada mini-homes use a Norcold compressor driven AC/DC refrigerator ??? Those have a vent panel at the top front of the refrigerator and a fan that pushes warm air through the vent and into the RV interior. It's essentially: Cool air in at the bottom/over the compressor coils/out the top and into the interior. I've never seen one installed with a "sidewall vent to the outside"... A outside vent in that type installation would allow insects, hot or cold air to enter the RV cabin, wouldn't it ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #8
chartrand

Side refrigerator vent replacement with non vented cover

This is the 12volt refrigerator I’m installing. https://furrion.com/products/furrion...v-refrigerator

What’s nice is it’s deeper so a standard 8 cu fridge becomes a 10 cu fridge in the same space.

My Atwood frig stopped cooling the portion, but the freezer was still getting to -9. This one vents out the bottom both in with cool air and out with warm air. There are hole in the back so as stated air, bug, humidity can all enter the cabin if I do not seal it off. I appreciate the advice and ideas of how to do this.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:37 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
This is the 12volt refrigerator I’m installing. https://furrion.com/products/furrion...v-refrigerator

What’s nice is it’s deeper so a standard 8 cu fridge becomes a 10 cu fridge in the same space.

My Atwood frig stopped cooling the portion, but the freezer was still getting to -9. This one vents out the bottom both in with cool air and out with warm air. There are hole in the back so as stated air, bug, humidity can all enter the cabin if I do not seal it off. I appreciate the advice and ideas of how to do this.

Chartrand, this topic was discussed in another thread if I recall. The 12vdc model comes with some unique challenges for the RV owner and, if I were you, based on my experience I would I would not just walk away from a Furrion product, I would run as fast as I could. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, vent