Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
04ctd

iPhone 10 not good as WiFi hotspot - does not broadcast SSID when screen locked?

I need to multi task sometimes, so if I log on/set up/log in with my work laptop,

by that time, the iPhone has screen locked, and is over on the counter plugged in, or over leaning on the window to get a good signal, and I have to go find it & unlock the screen to get the SSID to broadcast so my laptop will log in.

anyone got a good fix?
I set the home laptop to "log in when not broadcasting the SSID"
but that doesn't fix the work laptop, and its a PAIN to re-surrect
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone not broadcasting SSID.png
Views:	152
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	28093  
04ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
rhagfo

Best answer is to get a dedicated cellular hotspot. Works better than the phone and doesn’t strain your phone.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
Northofu1

Gotta love a Samsung android phone

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:38 PM   #4
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ctd View Post
I need to multi task sometimes, so if I log on/set up/log in with my work laptop,

by that time, the iPhone has screen locked, and is over on the counter plugged in, or over leaning on the window to get a good signal, and I have to go find it & unlock the screen to get the SSID to broadcast so my laptop will log in.

anyone got a good fix?
I set the home laptop to "log in when not broadcasting the SSID"
but that doesn't fix the work laptop, and its a PAIN to re-surrect

You sure it’s an IPhone thing and not a Microsoft thing?

I work with my 10 as hotspot all the time. I’ll see what it does. Maybe I do something I don’t know
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Gotta love a Samsung android phone
And to be quite honest, I trust Apple more than Google
Old 06-16-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
04ctd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
I work with my 10 as hotspot all the time. I’ll see what it does. Maybe I do something I don’t know
it works fine, if you use one laptop, but trying to use two, and one goes to sleep, esp if you cycle the iPhone hotspot off to get your home laptop to sync it, it drops the whole VPN connection for your work phone.

it's also aggravating to carry the trash out or something, go check mail, and forget, and take your phone with you, and it drops all the connections, and they will not restart if the screen is locked.

Quote:
trust no one....someone did tests, turned off Cell Data, and put a sniffer on their home WiFi. drove around town, came home, their Cell Phone reported EVERY move they made back to the Mother Ship. guess which brand that was!!??

FWIW, I had a Droid for many years, and EVERYONE in my office could hotspot off of it, but even I can't stay hooked up to my iPhone.

another post on this forum talked about heat & battery life & just generally expanding all the circuit cards & battery due to heat while using phone as a dedicated hotspot, so that kinda makes sense also.

gonna call Verizon about a MiFi tomorrow, i need something that is not
04ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:16 AM   #7
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ctd View Post
it works fine, if you use one laptop, but trying to use two, and one goes to sleep, esp if you cycle the iPhone hotspot off to get your home laptop to sync it, it drops the whole VPN connection for your work phone.

it's also aggravating to carry the trash out or something, go check mail, and forget, and take your phone with you, and it drops all the connections, and they will not restart if the screen is locked.

trust no one....someone did tests, turned off Cell Data, and put a sniffer on their home WiFi. drove around town, came home, their Cell Phone reported EVERY move they made back to the Mother Ship. guess which brand that was!!??

FWIW, I had a Droid for many years, and EVERYONE in my office could hotspot off of it, but even I can't stay hooked up to my iPhone.

another post on this forum talked about heat & battery life & just generally expanding all the circuit cards & battery due to heat while using phone as a dedicated hotspot, so that kinda makes sense also.

gonna call Verizon about a MiFi tomorrow, i need something that is not

No worries’

Make sure and turn off location services, only allow when an app is open. Close your apps!

My wife never does, and it knows her schedule. She gets in the car at certain times and up pops up “7 mins to work” , so they know where work is and what her days are. Crazy.

Never bothered to read user agreements, I would imagine none of us do and I’m sure we sign our lives away for the privilege of owning their phone.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:27 AM   #8
Northofu1

Quote:
I have both. I've got the iphone 11 pro for work and I have Galaxy S8+ edge for personal use. I would take Samsung any day. The Samsung tether and hotspot options are flawless for my laptop, the casting for samsung smart tv's or chromecast are excellent. I've had the 8+ for almost 2.5 yrs battery is perfect, gorilla glass has some light scratches never had a screen protector on it. I have a cheap but durable spigen cover on it with a kickstand, cant tell you how many times I've dropped it.
Insofar as trusting android or ios, I don't trust either, but I don't have any government secrets to keep so don't really care.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:34 AM   #9
KRumm

Search Amazon for a “Travel Router” with a USB connector (Like below)... Plug your iPhone into it and in the phone settings set it to tether via USB... Then the travel modem creates the WiFi...

https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-GL-AR...%2C1432&sr=8-4
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:58 AM   #10
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I have both. I've got the iphone 11 pro for work and I have Galaxy S8+ edge for personal use. I would take Samsung any day. The Samsung tether and hotspot options are flawless for my laptop, the casting for samsung smart tv's or chromecast are excellent. I've had the 8+ for almost 2.5 yrs battery is perfect, gorilla glass has some light scratches never had a screen protector on it. I have a cheap but durable spigen cover on it with a kickstand, cant tell you how many times I've dropped it.
Insofar as trusting android or ios, I don't trust either, but I don't have any government secrets to keep so don't really care.

People with nothing to hide, hide nothing
Old 06-17-2020, 05:34 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
People with nothing to hide, hide nothing
And there is where Keystone determines what color bedspread people prefer in their bedroom. Listening to Alexa, who listens to what's said "in the bedroom"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:29 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
And there is where Keystone determines what color bedspread people prefer in their bedroom. Listening to Alexa, who listens to what's said "in the bedroom"...
I give Alexa an earful of expletives near daily. I'll give her a command and she'll ask me "did you mean..." and it won't be close to what I said. Happens with the DW on a regular basis.

I'll typically let go with "no you dumb so and so, I said ...". I can only hope someone in Amazon land is listening in and getting a kick out of my comments.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I give Alexa an earful of expletives near daily. I'll give her a command and she'll ask me "did you mean..." and it won't be close to what I said. Happens with the DW on a regular basis.

I'll typically let go with "no you dumb so and so, I said ...". I can only hope someone in Amazon land is listening in and getting a kick out of my comments.
All of ours are disabled, at least I've turned them all off, but who really knows anymore ??? The new central air we installed has Google and Alexa capability, but thankfully it requires a "dongle installation" to operate. The dongle is in a box, in the top drawer of my desk with the instructions wrapped around the box, sort of as added soundproofing..... Again, who really knows if that's enough to prevent the eavesdropping ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:00 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
All of ours are disabled, at least I've turned them all off, but who really knows anymore ??? The new central air we installed has Google and Alexa capability, but thankfully it requires a "dongle installation" to operate. The dongle is in a box, in the top drawer of my desk with the instructions wrapped around the box, sort of as added soundproofing..... Again, who really knows if that's enough to prevent the eavesdropping ???
We use ours a lot. I have the house pretty much automated with lights, television and surround system, thermostat, robot floor cleaner, and security cameras connected via WiFi. Never had an issue with being "hacked" so either I've been lucky or my security measures have been effective. With that being said, I don't go around the house speaking or writing out sensitive info. For years I had arguments with doctors offices and hospitals that used social security numbers as ID or account numbers. I refused back then and got a lot of grief over it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi