Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
STJ

Need new tire recommendations

I have a 2019 Keystone Outback 301 UBH.
It came with Trailer King tires, ST225/75R 15.
We are planing a 3 month trip to SD this Aug-Oct.
I would like to upgrade to a better tire before the trip, I have heard too many bad stories about the Chinese tires.
I have heard a lot of good things about the Goodyears, but I am open to suggestions.

I am also thinking about getting a tire pressure monitoring system, like
"Tire Minder" Has anyone had any experience with them? Do they have any problems dropping the signal from the tires?
STJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #2
Bill-2020

I use the four wheel Tire Minder (smaller Windshield unit, shows all four wheels at the same time). I have not had any problems with distance between the booster located at the trailer battery and the front windshield. However, you can’t see the display Very well in bright sunlight. But it’s supposed to warn you of a pressure loss, not meant to be something you watch like your speedometer.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
CWtheMan

Your trailer came with LRE tires which are more than sufficient for your axle configuration. I'm Sorry I don't do brand recommendations. However I will make these recommendations.
1. Get tires with a speed rating 75 MPH or higher.
2. Get the appropriate valve stems - all steel - for your TMPS.
3. Try to get tires with nylon overlays. They are not a tire requirement but are very beneficial for RV Trailer applications.

The pictures are not recommendations, just representations of items I discussed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	28023 Click image for larger version

Name:	NOC_F6.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	28024
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Keystoned

I've put the GY Endurance on my last 2 trailers and felt safe with them. Plenty of reading material here though. Don't forget a new spare also.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #5
notanlines

Jeff, good choice to drop your China bombs and go with new 'feet for your puppy.' Usually the brands that get the best reviews on these forums are as follows: Sailuns, Goodyear Endurance, Carlisle and Maxxis. It would be the general opinion that I have listed them from the most favorite on down. All have good reputations. There was a time that the Carlisle tires could be had from Walmart.com for about $72.00 each.
I would be very wary of the advice coming from your tire dealer. Not that they aren't knowledgeable, but are only going to support their stocked tires.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #6
Northofu1

I like my Carlisle Radial trail HD LRE
Mine came with TK's in a LRD.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

My previous Cougar had a gvw about the same as yours and it came with LRD which are insufficient. I upgraded to LREs and didn't have any problems.

I went with Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires and had good luck along with being very comfortable with them and the way they were made (no comparison at all to a TK). Jim gave a good list of tires. I put Sailuns on this one before I pulled it off the lot - loaded them in the truck and gave them to a friend that owns a tire shop for "future favors". For me the Endurance needs a little more time on the road before I want to elevate it to a top of the line tire; guess the Marathon gave me that old "show me" attitude. Good luck in replacing them but just do it - I think there was probably a complaint on the first TK made.

TPMS systems; I run the TST 507 and have had great success with it. Get steel stems on the new tires. I did not need a repeater on the last trailer which was almost as long as this 5th wheel (bumper to ball) but I now have a repeater in this one as it kept dropping out the RR trailer tire coming down this trip.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #8
kjohn

Our 2019 22RBS came with TK bombs. We ran them last year (one year) and put new GY Endurance on this Spring. I have a Tire Minder that works fine. Last season, I misplaced the little booster, and the TM doesn't work all that good without.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:51 AM   #9
Viet_Vet

Greetings all. I am in the same boat... I need 4 new tires for my 2015 Keystone Hideout 5er. It came with ST225/75R15D.

I keep reading on the forum to avoid "China Bombs", which I assume means any tire made in China. IS that correct? When I read the replacement recommendations here, I see the Carlisle Radial Trail HD as one of them. In researching this tire, I see that it is made in China. So what is the deal? Are all the trailer tires made in China no good, or just the Trailer Kings?

I am looking at these tires and would appreciate feedback/opinion on them:
-Maxxis M8008 ST Radial Trailer Tire
-Transeagle ST Radial II ST225/75R15 Load E (10 Ply) Trailer Tire

I don't want to replace the rims, so I want to stay with the 15" tires. Any feedback is appreciated.
If you can't fly with the eagles, go peck s**t with the chickens!
Viet_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:32 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Vet what model is that trailer? I think it is a very good idea to go to the LRE for sure. Make sure the wheels will accommodate the new psi. That should be (hopefully) on the back of the wheel with either psi/lbs. or both. I also removed the TKs after a blowout on our trailer and replaced them with the Carlisle you are thinking about. They did a great job and I was very happy with them.

As far as "China" bombs, IMO that is a catch all reference to tires supposedly made in China. IIRC there are about 900 tire plants in China so I doubt, in fact I'm positive, not all tires coming from China are just inferior.

The culprits vary but the Trailer King and Tow Max seem to top the list. When mine blew, along with others I know, I dug into where they came from. They came from the same tire plant in the Shandong province of China.

My takeaway from all that is that I shy away from any tire that I have not been used extensively and had good reports on. Trailer King and Tow Max don't start to meet that bar. I also won't buy any Chinese made tire that I haven't heard of; they're constantly coming up with new brand names. I put Sailun on this new trailer because of their reputation and had the Ranier tires, which I've never had or read reviews on, removed at the dealership before taking possession simply because they were Chinese made and I don't want to "learn" I made a mistake by taking out the side of my trailer.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:43 AM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

The Carlisle tires you referenced are one of the preferred tires by forum members.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:51 AM   #12
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet_Vet View Post
Greetings all. I am in the same boat... I need 4 new tires for my 2015 Keystone Hideout 5er. It came with ST225/75R15D.
I would buy 5 and replace the spare too, it is, most likely, the same age?

Age is the bigger enemy of trailer tires.

I bought the Carlisle Radial Trail HD to replace all of my tires, even though they had plenty of tread left, the date code on the sidewall said they were 5 years old and they were trailerkings.

-Brian
Old 07-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Vet, I can't think of a single subject that's not talked about more than "china bombs". Up to just a few years ago ALL ST tires were made in China. The difference, from what I've read is that the "reputable" brand had their own QC people on site to ensure the quality. I don't have any proof of that.

I think it's a matter of what the Brand specs out. Like any other product the many of the brands are actually the same company and selling tires under various brand names. This is common practice with many manufacturers. Sometimes there's no difference other than the name and other times there's a huge difference.

I remember many decades ago when Japan was becoming the electronics giant in manufacturing. They made just about every television and radio on the market. You could set a Sylvania tv and a Montgomery Wards brand side by side and they looked identical. Open them up and they would have identical main boards but the Wards tv would have a much smaller transformer and about 1/2 the electronics inside.

Point I'm getting at is the term "China" bomb is a stamp that China received by RV'rs because the "problem" tires came from China. When Goodyear started selling garbage tires made in the USA with the same issues that term became less attractive. Goodyear stopped selling ST tires for several years and now their reintroduction into the ST market has been generally reviewed as a positive experience.

The other factor is that until a few years ago the RV manufacturers were installing tires with a weight rating that just did match the axle rating. Now, RIVA has changed that to require a 10% over axle rating as a safety margin. It's difficult to get imperial evidence that what folks are replacing with is better than what they had because nearly everyone replaces with a higher rating so it's not an apples to apples comparison. We don't know if the "China bombs" would render the same results if they would have been one rating higher. I, like everyone else was not eager to give it a second chance so I went with the Carlisle HD. HAve been very pleased with the performance. Read the reviews, make an informed decision weighing all the variables including cost, miles per year, etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #14
travelin texans

Typically the tires put on at the factory are going to fall into the "China bomb" category, cheap unheard of brands.
Although they've upped the safety margin they're still going to be the cheapest tire that they can get a shipping container full of regardless of reputation or quality. Stick with Sailun, Carlisle, Maxxis & possibly GY Endurance. The GY is gaining popularity, but IMO it's not been around long enough to be on the top yet, also cost more than the others.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:06 AM   #15
Sarge2

Has Carlisle switched up and now making ST tires in US? Or is the HD different than a regular ST tire? Not sure if I missed something.... Thanks
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #16
wiredgeorge

Believe the Carlisle Radial Trail HD tire is made in the far east but under US supervision and has a great reputation. The fella was asking for recommendations and I use these tires. Would consider Sailun tires if they made a 15" tire but don't believe they do. Maxxis radial M8008 is a good choice and I believe that Discount Tire carries these (call to make sure) and of course a favorite is the GY Endurance (US made).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
Has Carlisle switched up and now making ST tires in US? Or is the HD different than a regular ST tire? Not sure if I missed something.... Thanks
I think the only ST tire made in the US by Carlisle is the USA Trail brand. Here's their website. https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...speed-trailer/
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Believe the Carlisle Radial Trail HD tire is made in the far east but under US supervision and has a great reputation. The fella was asking for recommendations and I use these tires. Would consider Sailun tires if they made a 15" tire but don't believe they do. Maxxis radial M8008 is a good choice and I believe that Discount Tire carries these (call to make sure) and of course a favorite is the GY Endurance (US made).

George is right. Vet I did not address the specific tires you mentioned. I have in inquired about the Maxxis before in my part of the country and everyone required a 3-5 day wait. They were basically a special order tire. I did not want to put something like that on my RV since I would want a similar replacement in the event of a failure.

I know nothing of the Transeagle. In a quick search I did not find where they are made but only they aren't from the USA. They did not rate favorably. One review said they have failures like the China bombs and in another they rated at the bottom of the 10 they were reviewing...
Old 07-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #19
Viet_Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Vet what model is that trailer?.

Sorry, thought it was in my profile. Guess I didn't set it up correctly. It is the 299RLDS
Viet_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:40 AM   #20
gearhead

I have had Maxxis and was happy. They timed out and I went with Carlisle HD. Was very happy with them. Put 5 of them on my boat trailer and 3 on my utility trailer. I have Sailuns on the Landmark and am very happy with them.
Like mentioned, my understanding is Carlisle are made in China under direct supervision of Carlisle.
Check Carlisle price on WalMart.com
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote