Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I do think the OP wrote that this was a third camper. I suspect that the OP was looking for Cougar specific things to look for but not recommendations to buy a one ton but I could be wrong. We might consider that Jerry does have a point and also never mention the A&M Aggravations on this site again.... Now that should be rule! Hook 'Em Horns! (hope they play this season)
I take your point but would also say that it was the 4th. trailer that we bought when a near disaster convinced me that the 1/2 ton truck was grossly overloaded. Whenever I've found out the hard way I try to educate others not to do it. What they do with information is up to them.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I take your point but would also say that it was the 4th. trailer that we bought when a near disaster convinced me that the 1/2 ton truck was grossly overloaded. Whenever I've found out the hard way I try to educate others not to do it. What they do with information is up to them.
I do understand. First camper I had was a Lance and stuck in on my F150 and it was probably double overloaded... did it with the car tires that came on the truck. I did change the tires and sold the camper before I killed myself and my wife. Next trailer/truck was a 24' toy hauler and F250 (460 w/drum brake). I learned about 460 fuel economy and drum brakes with a trailer, even a light one.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:45 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I do understand. First camper I had was a Lance and stuck in on my F150 and it was probably double overloaded... did it with the car tires that came on the truck. I did change the tires and sold the camper before I killed myself and my wife. Next trailer/truck was a 24' toy hauler and F250 (460 w/drum brake). I learned about 460 fuel economy and drum brakes with a trailer, even a light one.
Wouldn't it have been "nice" to have had someone caution you about being "double overloaded" before you bought that Lance camper and even nicer if someone had warned you about drum brakes with a trailer as well as talked to you about fuel economy before buying that F250 ???

Even back when we started towing in 1968, there were a couple of "old farts in the campgrounds" that would do more than just "sit there and shake their heads"... They actually walked over, said, "Hey, son, let me show you the easy way"... It's the same, on this forum, with opening someone's eyes to an unsafe rig BEFORE they buy it. Then, if, with their eyes open, they buy it anyway... Well, that's up to them. But hopefully, they'll buy it knowing the risks, not because the salesman told them "you can tow anything on the lot"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:43 PM   #24
Old Mustanger

OK I give!!!! But what I was trying to point out is that no one answered the original question. Maybe answering the question and then saying by the way do you have enough truck to tow that large of an RV?
I have learned a lot from y'all, (even traded my F250 for an F350 after checking weights) and certainly didn't mean to start a brush fire.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:47 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
OK I give!!!! But what I was trying to point out is that no one answered the original question. Maybe answering the question and then saying by the way do you have enough truck to tow that large of an RV?
I have learned a lot from y'all, (even traded my F250 for an F350 after checking weights) and certainly didn't mean to start a brush fire.
Speaking of fire... IMHO it's better to put out the fire first rather than ask how it s started. To me, if the OP is considering a trailer that is grossly over the truck's capacity then that should be the first thing addressed. I've seen time and again folks post these questions, people reply with "gee whiz I LOVE that model" or "it's great, you'll LOVE it" and 20 posts, 2 days later someone asks the truck question. The OP will respond that they can't afford to replace the truck and they just bought the camper. That's just my rational for asking the question up front. YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:38 PM   #26
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Speaking of fire... IMHO it's better to put out the fire first rather than ask how it s started. To me, if the OP is considering a trailer that is grossly over the truck's capacity then that should be the first thing addressed. I've seen time and again folks post these questions, people reply with "gee whiz I LOVE that model" or "it's great, you'll LOVE it" and 20 posts, 2 days later someone asks the truck question. The OP will respond that they can't afford to replace the truck and they just bought the camper. That's just my rational for asking the question up front. YMMV
Excellent point Marshall I promise I'll never bring this up again
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #27
first time 5er

i'm with you jerry
this was a model specific question.
Guess we just can't say "check your weights"
and leave it at that.
its the way the world is today people feel empowered
to the express there views even when not asked.

next question?

Barb & Kev & Missie (lab mix rescue dog)
2017 F350 DRW 6.7 4X4 24K Anderson ultimate
2009 Cougar 320SRX 1995 Custom Fatboy
first time 5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by first time 5er View Post
i'm with you jerry
this was a model specific question.
Guess we just can't say "check your weights"
and leave it at that.
its the way the world is today people feel empowered
to the express there views even when not asked.

next question?

"but is there anything specific we should look at. For example something that Cougar 5th Wheels or this particial model are notorious for going wrong." Quote from original post from OP.

Please note that quote; it asks a question. Asks. "Cougar 5th wheels OR this particular model are notorious for going wrong"? Hmmm, along with the things I listed in my original post is being overweight not one of those issues that we address.....over, and over, and over again? Would that not then be an issue that is notorious "for going wrong" for a new owner of that specific trailer (Cougar 5th wheel)? Of course it is.

Now, whether I "feel empowered to express there views even when not asked", well, for me, yes I do; here and/or anywhere else and always have. I would encourage you to express yours as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #29
Larrystegall

Hi Lisa. I have the 2017 359MBI. overall good, had issues with the landing gear quick pins sticking, dealer replaced/serviced three times, and still have that issue. The remote does not have enough range to work from the roof (to close slides after cleaning off their roofs) and has been an issue from day one. I use it now to just control the auto leveler from the front, and that's good enough. I was unhappy with the tail shaking after setup, so added a third "x-wing" jack at the rear (just to stabilize, not lift) and that solved the issue. The second gray water tank is under the front axle, inconvenient, but workable. The second BR is really nice (den when it just the two of us). Added a "step jack" for the fold outs (yours may have the nicer ones, there were some upgrades with the newer year). I hope that helps, and I agree with others that the thorough walk-through with everything working would be the way to go. There are some pretty good checklists online and various sites. And lastly (hold on......) I tow with a 2016 2500HD and am not overweight, but I purchased the gas model. That diesel will indeed be more limited on capacity due to the engine weight difference. We really like the space and flow of the camper, best of luck in your search!
Larrystegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #30
gearhead

I haven't looked at the floor plan, but is a full profile front? We had a Cougar XLite and I bumped my head on the cabinets getting out of bed almost every morning.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:27 PM   #31
Phil Saran

OP you have been given a lot of good
information.

Out on the road you will see all types
and shapes of trucks & 5th wheel trailers.

Add your air bags to your F250 and see
Is you are comfortable with the handling.

The unit you are looking at is a bit bigger
than what I own.

My truck is a 2012 Dodge Ram 3500
4x4 short bed diesel 4 door single rear
wheels.

My 5th wheel is a Keystone Cougar 30RLS
34 feet and a loaded weight of about 12000
pounds. Truck is rated to tow 16000 pounds.

Fuel usage ranges between 9 - 11 mpg.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #32
crowbar

Wow! A simple honest question posed by Lisa at the outset, but it took all the way down to post #29 for Larry to actually answer the question with some helpful information.
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
Wow! A simple honest question posed by Lisa at the outset, but it took all the way down to post #29 for Larry to actually answer the question with some helpful information.
Not really: If you look at post #1, the OP asks about "a used 2018 Cougar 369BHS". In post #29 (that you suggest gives information about the trailer Lisa is looking at buying) when he offered information about his 2017 359MBI.

IMHO, there is a tremendous amount of "actual answers to the question with significant helpful information"... YMMV and that's OK, not everyone needs to feel the same way about posts or threads.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel