Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #1
JPTexas

Internet

I'm a little confused. I have NEVER been camping and I'm about to live in a camper while I work on a house. I don't understand the internet. My springdale came with a Furrion white box thing on the bedroom wall. This is not a router, but a hotspot device, yes? Or no? I remember the dealer said to call my internet provider and give them some numbers off of it and they could hook it up but there are no numbers on it. I really don't know what it is or how to get internet to it.
I'm not traveling in the camper and signal is not great on cell phones. I want to purchase a firestick for the tv so I need internet for that and I need internet for tablet and phones on days service is decent.

So basically, what is that white box on the wall and how do I make it work?

Help appreciated and thank you!
JPTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
dutchmensport

It sounds like it's a Mobile Hotspot Device. (Do a Google Search). They work exactly like your cell phone / I-phone hot spot, but don't need the phone. The down side is, if your phone does not get a signal, this device will not get a signal either.

You'll need to figure out if the device is AT&T or some other phone provider company.

But, on the other hand, it could be a wifi device for a satellite internet system, like Hughes.Net.

Edit:
You got me curious now. Did a little more searching. I noticed you said "Furrion". That took me to this:

Click here
Old 04-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
JPTexas

Internet

Someone has answered my questions about the Furrion router. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #4
JPTexas

Just seeing this. Thank you! You are correct. That is what I'm talking about. I appreciate your quick reply!! Very helpful!
Old 04-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
JPTexas

It's a router/hotspot. I found a sticker in my big bag of brochures that came with the camper and that sticker is the serial numbers that go on the device...so now I know what to tell the carrier. I think I will be calling my satellite internet carrier to service the camper. I am working on a house and can carry that service over to the house later. The camper has 3 tvs plus we will have tablet and phones so I think we will suck all the life out of the furrion router/hotspot thing thru a cell phone provider and it would be expensive...so just going to call the satellite internet provider I think. I am learning!
Old 04-23-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

All satellite internet providers (that I am aware of) have download/upload limits. Many of them advertise "unlimited download capacity". What they mean by that is you have a "download limit" and once you reach that amount of data, you're "throttled back to a "minimal speed".... We had Hughesnet satellite for a number of years, the speed was "for the most part, OK" at normal speed. Once we met our maximum download, we could barely check email for the rest of the billing period.

We started out in 2008 with that system, back then it was 10 gigs of data max, that changed to 15 gigs, and when we finally got a DSL capability where we live, we stopped the Hughesnet. At the time we stopped, the maximum monthly download allowance was 30 gigs of data. Watching one HD movie a month, normal surfing, checking email on 3 accounts and we were "throttled back every month. Usually that happened about the 3rd week, but sometimes as early as halfway through the billing cycle.

If you have the option of satellite, DSL or cable internet, check very VERY carefully. I seriously doubt that satellite download capacity has changed significantly in the past year. The above description was what we "endured" until last year when we finally got "somewhat fast DSL with true unlimited data download"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
Roscommon48

Internet will just depend on your location, it is that simple. But, if this will be a house with internet, get it laid to your property, with cable tv and then just run it to your temporary home...your trailer.

As for TV, without cable, try it the old fashion way and use your antenna if you are near a city.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:33 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
All satellite internet providers (that I am aware of) have download/upload limits.
Yup.

Satellite is what you use when you have absolutely no other alternative. Any other alternative is better.

Before calling a satellite provider, go to this webpage and look up your location. Call the nearest guy(s) even if it claims you are out of range -- they may still be able to help you, or recommend someone who isn't a member of the association who can.

If one of these guys can reach your rig, he can also reach your house later and you'll get better Internet in both places.