Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2019, 05:31 AM   #21
fordmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryflew View Post
I also just added a 12 volt cig lighter socket and run off the trailer batteries.
Have only used it for the occasional 1 nighter with no problems.
Thanks. I just ordered two of the 12 volt power supplies from the cpap manufacturer. I’ve also bought two sockets and materials to install. We need to run two machines, but I have two 12 volt deep cycles. I think we’ll be ok. One night is all that’s required. I can charge during the day.
fordmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:36 AM   #22
NH_Bulldog

The biggest power hog is the humidifier. My ResMed S8 has a detachable humidifier that I only use in the dry winter months. Without the humidifier, you should be able to run two units for two days easy. I keep a booster pack charged and ready to go just in case
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:40 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

My DW uses a CPAP. We use a Schumacher 1100 (with an inverter) to power hers when we're dry camping. It's "dedicated to power her CPAP only and doesn't power anything else. If she uses the humidifier, she can get one night's use. If she turns off the humidifier, she gets 3+ nights on the power supply.

You might have a problem with the increased power required to heat the water for humidification. Experiment with your battery system, maybe it'll run the humidifiers on two CPAP's for a night, maybe it won't (depending on what other drains are on the batteries from other RV related systems based on the way you camp. If you have an excessive battery drain, consider trying without the humidifier. It tripled my DW's CPAP time by turning the humidifier off.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:46 AM   #24
fordmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
The biggest power hog is the humidifier. My ResMed S8 has a detachable humidifier that I only use in the dry winter months. Without the humidifier, you should be able to run two units for two days easy. I keep a booster pack charged and ready to go just in case
I’ve thought about that. Ours need the tank installed, it’s part of the air flow, but I can turn the humidifier heater off. I’ll try them that way first. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2019, 05:49 AM   #25
fordmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My DW uses a CPAP. We use a Schumacher 1100 (with an inverter) to power hers when we're dry camping. It's "dedicated to power her CPAP only and doesn't power anything else. If she uses the humidifier, she can get one night's use. If she turns off the humidifier, she gets 3+ nights on the power supply.

You might have a problem with the increased power required to heat the water for humidification. Experiment with your battery system, maybe it'll run the humidifiers on two CPAP's for a night, maybe it won't (depending on what other drains are on the batteries from other RV related systems based on the way you camp. If you have an excessive battery drain, consider trying without the humidifier. It tripled my DW's CPAP time by turning the humidifier off.
Wow. Great information, thanks! I love all the responses I’ve recieved. This forum is so helpful. I’m just returning to camping and this is my current wife’s first RV and she’s loving it. As long as I can get past these little hurdles we can hit the mountains! Empty nest celebrations!
Old 07-25-2019, 07:28 AM   #26
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomeaux View Post
Was wondering what one would do to run a RESMED10 on a battery supply.
We will be traveling here shortly and may be off grid a few nights. Any suggestions? I did purchase a 150w portable battery from Amazon but it would only power the unit 6 hrs.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/bps...yABEgKHLfD_BwE

Great unit! Runs the CPAP all night. Recharges quickly, Comes with all connectors and can recharge your cell phones!
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #27
Roscommon48

simple answer is to get a generator or not go off grid. Also, i think your truck has a 110volt plug, just run that if you want too.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:53 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
simple answer is to get a generator or not go off grid. Also, i think your truck has a 110volt plug, just run that if you want too.
All the inverters in trucks that I've seen only operate when the ignition is turned on. There are alternative "work arounds" to still go off the grid, you (actually the OP) just needs to explore which "work around" is best for his needs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-05-2019, 01:22 PM   #29
mcomeaux

So if I get one of those battery/jumper power packs she would be able to plug into the 110 and run all night without the heating element.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, with the qualification that it'll ONLY supply power IF the battery pack in the battery/jumper power pack is large enough. Ours is a Schumacher 1100 and we can power one ResMed CPAP without humidification for 3 days before needing to recharge.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #31
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/bps...yABEgKHLfD_BwE

Great unit! Runs the CPAP all night. Recharges quickly, Comes with all connectors and can recharge your cell phones!
If I'm not mistaken the ResMed requires 24V.

The specs says it supplies 12v, it may not work with your model...
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
If I'm not mistaken the ResMed requires 24V.

The specs says it supplies 12v, it may not work with your model...
My DW's ResMed requires 24 VDC or 120VAC. That's the reason I bought the Schumacher with the inverter. Trying to adapt or build a 24VDC supply that's reliable and portable enough for use in a travel trailer is daunting and/or expensive. The ResMed battery system approaches $300 and is only good for 1 night before recharge. The Schumacher was $79 on sale at Lowe's and provides 3 nights of power before requiring recharge. For me, it seemed like a "good enough compromise"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #33
fordmd

Quote:
My DW's ResMed requires 24 VDC or 120VAC. That's the reason I bought the Schumacher with the inverter. Trying to adapt or build a 24VDC supply that's reliable and portable enough for use in a travel trailer is daunting and/or expensive. The ResMed battery system approaches $300 and is only good for 1 night before recharge. The Schumacher was $79 on sale at Lowe's and provides 3 nights of power before requiring recharge. For me, it seemed like a "good enough compromise"....
Mine and my wife’s resumes have a 24 volt input. For our machines they sell a power supply with a 12 volt input and 24 volt output. I believe I paid $160 for 2 supplies. Then ran 12 volt accessory sockets, (still hard to not say cigarette lighter socket), 1 to each side of the bed. With 2 12 volt group 24’s, I had no issues with one night. I’m positive with no charging I can get 2+ nights. 2 machines, $200 and we can sleep easy.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:36 AM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Brian,
Thanks, good to know information. I'll check out that 12:24 VDC converter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-06-2019, 05:24 AM   #35
fordmd

Quote:
Brian,
Thanks, good to know information. I'll check out that 12:24 VDC converter.
This is the one for our devices.

https://www.directhomemedical.com/resmed-airsense-10-cpap-dc-power-cord.html
Old 08-06-2019, 06:02 AM   #36
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Agree 100%.

Checking for sales on it... Need one too.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery