Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post
Has anyone used the OHREX brand of GPS unit? Its only $59 on Amazon and has some decent reviews. I really did not want to spend North of $250 for a GPS unit. I know it is inexpensive and it usually relates to the features/programming, etc. I figured it was worth a try at that price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W84QD37...ustomerReviews
I've bought "more than my fair share" of "Chinese knockoff junk".... In reading this one, there are a few "warning signals" that I see. First is the "Compatible only with Windows PC". Second is the comment: "OHREX probably is the best 7 inch Capacitive touch screen GPS Navigation for Cars and trucks." Sounds very much like a "Chinese legal disclaimer". Third is, I don't see a mention of an internal speaker and there is this comment: "You can use the FM transmitter of the GPS navigation, built-in FM transmitter can provide GPS sound to your car stereo." (you can't listen to the stereo if it's tuned to 88.8 so you can hear the GPS).... Fourth is the negative comments. Many detail issues with the software limitations of the system, lack of correct routing, inability to maintain programming, inability to change time zones based on physical location of the unit (when moving through time zones) and inability to input addresses (unit won't recognize the input address). Then there's the comments about tech support: "They never answer" "I can't get a response", etc....

It may be a good unit, it may not be worth the price.... At least with Amazon, if it doesn't work, you can get your money back within the "return window".... My guess is, you'll likely be sending it back if you compare it "side by side" with a comparable Garmin unit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #22
bbells

I loved my big screen Garmin with the built in dash cam and weighted dash mount. I think it has a 6 inch screen. But, since I got my new truck with android auto I don't use it much.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #23
Leatherman

I understand about the issues of getting what you pay for. I have an old Garmin now which still works but is not setup specifically for RVs.

So, I am to assume you have not used this brand right? I was looking for anyone that had used or was familiar with it.

Thanks for the reply.
2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #24
larryflew

Have had a simple Tomtom, a trucker Tomtom, 2 trucker Magellans and Garmin. The first Magellan lasted 13 months and Magellan gave me a half price replacement being it was out of warranty. It did fine until I went to update maps and died during the process. The second lasted 7 months. Both were over $400 units. The cheap TT went for a few years but took us on several BS trips to nowhere. The better TT also died during an update. The Garmin is the fancier (don't have number handy) one with truck height, length and internal driving logs with camera, cell hook up, blue tooth, traffic updates, voice command etc BUT it's only 5 months old so time will tell. Love the look and ease of use so far, ie wife wants to make a stop say "voice command" it asks if you want address, type of stop, place, city etc tell it "place" "Sam's Club" " added stop" as it asks you the questions and it calculates route.

Years ago b4 traveling we had a cheap Garmin for 5 years b4 maps got too out of date to find newer residential areas (doing service work).

Hope this one does as well. Reason I didn't go back to G is 2 of the 3 bought at the time also died.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:10 PM   #25
bfisher003

Garmin’s latest RV model and load the POI files from lowclearance.com and you’ll be golden.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #26
buzzcop63

Garmin, update every couple of years due to new roads, new homes, use it on any drive where you have to watch for a street name to turn. For RV it has been a lot of help and you can take it walking and it will help you find your way back to your trailer.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #27
Awinkle

We have the Garmin 770 also and bought it specifically for compatibly with the wireless back up camera - all in one package. All the bells and whistles.
Awinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:24 PM   #28
gfspiering

say no to Rand McNally's Overdryve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrishome2005 View Post
I am planning a long trip for 2020 and I would like to purchase a GPS before I go. I have been caught in some awkward situation because I did not have one.
Can anyone recommend a good GPS. I will be pulling a 5th wheel.

Thank you.
John
I purchased the Rand McNally OverDryve; Really wished I had selected the Garmin RV GPS version. It is relatively expensive so I can't afford to throw it away. I find the phone is a poor choice as you can't add cameras, TPMS systems and they require an app (which I haven't found a suitable one yet) to function for an RV. Also, the phone screen is quite small and harder to read when you are in the middle of negotiating complex movements in traffic.
gfspiering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:15 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
Garmin, update every couple of years due to new roads, new homes, use it on any drive where you have to watch for a street name to turn. For RV it has been a lot of help and you can take it walking and it will help you find your way back to your trailer.
My Garmin reminds me that new updates are available at least every 6 months, sometimes more often than that.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:10 AM   #30
foldbak

Galaxy S10 or iPhone 10 using the Waze app.
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #31
uechikid

I use a Garmin Zumo 660. It's a motorcycle GPS so it's more expensive. Probably more than you want to spend. I paid north of $600 for it but it's waterproof and came with some other goodies. Way over priced but I wanted a really good motorcycle GPS. I use it all the time when I ride and I like it. I have used it quite a bit in my truck too but only once towing the trailer.

The biggest issue I have had is custom mapping. I use to use a website that I could work up a custom map then transfer it to my GPS and the map would be exactly as the one on the webpage. Way points and all. The last time I used it, it didn't transfer the data well at all. Way points and routes were all off.

As others have recommended, don't buy a cheap one. You get what you pay for.
2008 Royal Star Venture
uechikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #32
jimborokz

Got a Magellan RV gps 6 years ago when we got the 5er after researching online (not here) and many were at that time complaining about their Garman's. It's worked ok for us so far. Right before Christmas I was leaving on a trip in the truck and it was Zero and the Diesel just wouldn't fire and I couldn't find the plug for the block heater after the Ford recall. Bottom line once I got it running the gps wouldn't start. Had been cranking on it quite a bit on an off for 4 hours. Figured it was toast so I used Waze on the phone since I wasn't towing anyway. Six days later I charged up the Magellan just to give it one more try and bingo, started right up. Still don't know what that was all about.
I do use the Waze usually when I'm not towing because sometimes the RV gps will take a longer route to avoid a situation you don't want with the trailer.
When the Magellan finally does die I will likely get the Garman.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Got a Magellan RV gps 6 years ago when we got the 5er after researching online (not here) and many were at that time complaining about their Garman's. It's worked ok for us so far. Right before Christmas I was leaving on a trip in the truck and it was Zero and the Diesel just wouldn't fire and I couldn't find the plug for the block heater after the Ford recall. Bottom line once I got it running the gps wouldn't start. Had been cranking on it quite a bit on an off for 4 hours. Figured it was toast so I used Waze on the phone since I wasn't towing anyway. Six days later I charged up the Magellan just to give it one more try and bingo, started right up. Still don't know what that was all about.
I do use the Waze usually when I'm not towing because sometimes the RV gps will take a longer route to avoid a situation you don't want with the trailer.
When the Magellan finally does die I will likely get the Garman.
The Garmin RV GPS gives you the choice of using it in RV mode or in "standard" mode. I use standard mode when not towing.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:38 AM   #34
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The Garmin RV GPS gives you the choice of using it in RV mode or in "standard" mode. I use standard mode when not towing.
Does Garmin default to RV mode? I once had been using mine in Standard then hooked up and later questioned the directions I was getting and realized I didn't have it in RV. That's why I use the phone, besides it's already hanging on the dash board.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Does Garmin default to RV mode? I once had been using mine in Standard then hooked up and later questioned the directions I was getting and realized I didn't have it in RV. That's why I use the phone, besides it's already hanging on the dash board.
The RV model I have will stay in either towing or not towing modes depending on where it was set the last time it was used. So I guess you could say it "defaults" to the last mode that it was in.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #36
Clifford1111

Back at you. We ran the RV 785 and love it. Tried lane departure. It works, but only on solid lines. When the little cars pulled in too close it beeped. Brought it into the park with the easiest turns.
Clifford1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #37
Rdynbama

Is the dezl 780 programmable for 5th wheel RV ? Or is it mainly for truckers?
Trying to find something for a trip this week

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:26 AM   #38
travelin texans

Head to your local truck stop & pickup a Motor Carriers Atlas, it has all low clearances listed by state in the front with the roads highlighted as safe for trucks. It's about $20-25, cheaper than a GPS plus if trucks can safely go so will anything you'll be towing.
Only a couple differences from the GPS, doesn't have a monitor & doesn't fit on the dash, but you can take in the house & plan a route from your easy chair.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:31 AM   #39
Rdynbama

Sounds like a good idea. I just got off the phone with my brother in law and that’s what he did. Thank you

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:19 PM   #40
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
Galaxy S10 or iPhone 10 using the Waze app.
Handy apps, but don't know squat about the height, width left turn vs 3 rights and many more RV specific issues.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote