Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2023, 09:44 AM   #21
G Giroux

49th parallel.

I grew up in Northern Ontario, it was not unusual to have fresh snow on the ground each morning.
Started my career as a Zone Supervisor for INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER, traveling North Eastern Ontario/North Western Quebec. Coldest I ever experienced was minus -52F, in Kapuskasing, Ontario. (49.3N parallel). Now live in Burlington, ON(43.3N) just north/east of Buffalo, NY. Winter are warmer but the Lake Ontario humidity, summer or winter, cuts right through you. Much prefer Northern dry air.
PS: Trivia, Kapuskasing ran a cold weather testing facilities were most auto manufacturers would run test on new model year vehicles.
G Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:53 AM   #22
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Giroux View Post
I grew up in Northern Ontario, it was not unusual to have fresh snow on the ground each morning.
Coldest I ever experienced was minus -52F, in Kapuskasing, Ontario. (49.3N parallel).
We don't get the cold that you see but usually we get around 120 inches of snow. Lake effect off Erie and Ontario.
You have not lived till you have experienced total white out lake effect snow. 48 inches in a weekend and it just slows traffic down a bit.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:12 AM   #23
G Giroux

I totally agree with you Linux3, Buffalo sure get's the full blizzard impact of those Lake Erie west winds. All Burlington gets is the tail end of Lake Ontario (Edmond Fitzgerald faithfully SINKING fame) or Georgian Bay Gail's. Then again we get a few east wind snow storms coming off of Lake Ontario but nothing as regular or hard hitting as Buffalo. I believe last months storm claimed 42 lives in the Buffalo NY area. Stay well, stay safe.
G Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:30 AM   #24
crowbar

We live in a rural area in Canada. Many people from down south think we all live in igloos! Actually we're right on the "wet" coast and being right on the Pacific, don't get much snow, especially since global warming started. After driving truck my whole life, the only time I had to chain up was to get out of my own driveway and when crossing the Siskiyous heading into northern California.

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote