Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2023, 07:35 PM   #1
pjones69

Fuzion 379 TH Washer/Dryer

The W/D hookup in our 379 is in the bedroom closet. It looks like the closet is built for installing those side by side instead of stackable. I was hoping someone else had installed a set and could point me in the right direction. I hate the idea of losing the closet space but we really need a W/D solution. I have also looked at combos which I believe would also work.
pjones69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:45 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones69 View Post
The W/D hookup in our 379 is in the bedroom closet. It looks like the closet is built for installing those side by side instead of stackable. I was hoping someone else had installed a set and could point me in the right direction. I hate the idea of losing the closet space but we really need a W/D solution. I have also looked at combos which I believe would also work.
We've had the Splendide brand stackables & combo & if you have the room I'd highly recommend the stackables over the combo.
The combo took forever, 1 1/2 to 2+ hours, to wash/dry a small load & everything came out wrinkled.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:26 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Looking at a video of the trailer it appears it is indeed set up for a side by side w/d. Stackables would hit the front curvature. The floorplan also indicates side by side. IMO I would get separate units. The combo is very slow and also wrinkles clothes badly.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:38 AM   #4
dutchmensport

No matter what you do, a washer AND dryer is going to take up space in your camper. It's a trade off... loose some space and gain the convenience of not having to use laundry mats or campground facilities, or... keep the space and continue the inconvenience.

When we installed our washer and dryer we lost an entire cabinet. At first, we were concerned about loosing this storage space. But in the long run, it actually SAVED us storage space? Why?

Because, first ... we no longer needed to drag along a full closet of clothes any more because we don't have to wait so long between washing loads. Second, we don't have to use 2 or 3 or 4 laundry baskets to collect all that laundry between laundry mat trips. We toss all our dirty laundry directly into the washing machine now and use it for the laundry basket. That eliminated all those laundry baskets sitting around. Third, that cabinet was used for storing sheets, blankets, pillow cases, extra towels. With the washing machine on board, we no longer needed to carry such an arsenal of bed linens any more. Fourth, it eliminated hanging wet clothes, towels, and bathing suits from hanging around in the bathroom, in the bed room, an every where else. After returning from swimming, simply toss the bathing suits, towels, everything directly in the dryer and let it run for 30 minutes. Don't worry about taking it out, just take it out a couple hours later when you return to the swimming pool. That bathing suit is now nice and DRY and not wet and cold.

Because of the washing machine and dryer, we were forced to move everything around on shelves and re-think exactly what are carrying with us all the time. We eliminated a LOT of stuff from the closet and the drawers. In the long run, having the washing machine and the dryer saved us space, it did not take space. It will do the same for you too.

Now about the combo unit. You do not want to go that route. The combo does washing and drying. If you use that washing machine for a laundry basket between washes and then you want to dry wet clothing, you've got to dump everything out of that combo unit to use the dryer. NOW.... you need that laundry basket, a big bulky crappy item that takes up a lot of space so you can put everything in it. Or simply use that big bulky crappy basket for your dirty laundry ... and now you have lost space somewhere else.

And has been mentioned, a combo unit will take 2 1/2 hours or more to run from start to finish. A stackable set may take as long, but you can be washing one one while drying another at the same time, which actually shortens the over all length of time.

We do laundry about ever 2 days. Loads are smaller this way, we can washing everything in one load that way, and we can also wash our bath towels and kitchen towels at the same time (all in one load), and keep everything done up. We never had a massive load of laundry any more. And because its right there at the trailer, we can throw start the washing machine and take off. Come back, throw it in the dryer and take off again if we want.

The separate dryers is what we both like the most, especially when it rains and we've been outside!
Old 01-22-2023, 08:51 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

It was late last evening when I posted and didn't fell like expounding on this but;

You don't say why the washer/dryer is important but I will just say this; if you are going to spend any time to speak of (couple of weeks or longer) in the trailer I would highly recommend the washer and dryer individual units. We spent many years without them because our trailers either weren't plumbed for them or I thought they were a waste of money because we had moved to commercial RV parks. For a while (years) all seemed well with DW saying from time to time what a pain it was. It just got worse. It finally got to where she would have to wait until the middle of the night, half the machines were broken, people would wash the most horrendous things and leave the machines stinky and filty... She took me to the laundry room a couple of times and the filth, crappy machines, people sitting around (lurking to me) - I said this wasn't happening any longer.

When she said she wanted a washer/dryer in the next trailer I fully understood why. Now, I can't believe the benefits it has given us from taking fewer clothes to the tremendous amount of added convenience to the safety aspect, no searching for quarters then the peace of mind. That mod rates right up there with disc brakes - super mods. The washer/dryer however also helps DW directly so I guess it gets the nod for best one. Even if yours requires the units to be side to side (I would not, and did not, consider a combo) the lost space would be well worth it IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM   #6
pjones69

Thank you. Excellent points. I didn't mind going to the RV laundry at first but lately it seems it more crowded and worse conditions. Dog hair, dirty machines, log waits or going at night to avoid full machines.
pjones69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:47 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Why has no one suggested clothing optional campgrounds?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:22 AM   #8
Essvar

Here's a photo of a 379 with Washer/Dryer installed. Note the sagging shelf, mine also sagged without anything on it so be aware the shelf really needs a middle brace.

https://cdn1.rvtrader.com/v1/media/6...00&upsize=true
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 03:41 PM   #9
gearhead

Check Home Depot online. We got separate washer and dryer,I think Magic Chef. Saved a ton of money over Splendide. Also a good warranty for $75 each.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuzion, washer