Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2023, 10:18 AM   #21
dutchmensport

I agree with you JRTJH. In my case, the "switch overs" have never failed. They do exactly what they are suppose to do. But it does take diligence to keep monitoring them so one doesn't find themselves "caught with their pants down" sort-of, and not expecting it, but find both empty at the same time.

I have always said, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to do "camping." We all just do it "different." There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I think the message here is ... if you are going to use the automatic "switch over", this is the one "risk" that constantly needs to be considered. Again ... be in-tune with your camper and everything will be fine! If you don't use the switch-over, the "risk" is ... well, getting up in the middle of a very cold rainy night and treking through ankle deep mud.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:29 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I agree with you JRTJH. In my case, the "switch overs" have never failed. They do exactly what they are suppose to do. But it does take diligence to keep monitoring them so one doesn't find themselves "caught with their pants down" sort-of, and not expecting it, but find both empty at the same time.

I have always said, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to do "camping." We all just do it "different." There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I think the message here is ... if you are going to use the automatic "switch over", this is the one "risk" that constantly needs to be considered. Again ... be in-tune with your camper and everything will be fine! If you don't use the switch-over, the "risk" is ... well, getting up in the middle of a very cold rainy night and treking through ankle deep mud.
Exactly......

To me, the "art of the regulator's benefit" is "risk reduction"....

Using it and forgetting to check the regulator can mean a once every 2 or 3 year "gotcha".... (assuming you do occasionally remember to check the regulator) versus a "every 3 or 4 day event" if you forget to "wiggle the bottle when it's cold outside".... (or the penalty: taking half or quarter full propane tanks to the refill station)....

Again, there's no "right way that fits everybody".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:44 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

For our camper the LP tank sensors are a necessity. The tanks are in an enclosed compartment. Have to remove 4 thumb screws, then the panel. After that I have to bend down between the batter and the compartment, twist my neck like Houdini and look in. Not happening after 7 cervical spine surgeries. FWIW I quit chewing gum after HS.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:03 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Yep, The "front compartment enclosure" on some older Outback and Laredo trailers was as "popular" with owners as it was when Holiday Rambler and Airstream introduced it in the 90's.. It sure looks "sleak and aerodynamic" when on the showroom floor, but after the owner gets it home, well, then "the fun begins"....

Seems like the "advanced feature" only lasted for a couple of years (thankfully)...

And, at the current price of a pack of gum, I'm seriously considering going to "bacon fat" or "pine tar" as a replacement... It's hard to justify that kind of money for 5 sticks of flavored "tree sap" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:28 AM   #25
jxnbbl

The first RV/long trip we used the "keep one tank" closed method on the recommendation of the people giving my the walk through. Worked fine but we had a surprise on the way home in cold weather and had to get dressed and open early in the morning.

Currently use the automatic functionality but installed a tank check propane system with just sends a notification to my cell when a tank is some %age full (settable). So there are no surprises and I basically know when the tank is empty and scan 'schedule the refill' of that tank.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 02:29 PM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
As has been stated it's personal preference. Mine is to use the regulator as designed. Both tanks open and use Mopeka tank sensors to monitor. By the way, with the Mopeka app you can set an alarm at any level you wish. I have mine set for 10% remaining so I don't need to remember to check. JMHO, YMMV
i didn’t realize that thanks!
Old 01-18-2023, 08:23 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yep, The "front compartment enclosure" on some older Outback and Laredo trailers was as "popular" with owners as it was when Holiday Rambler and Airstream introduced it in the 90's.. It sure looks "sleak and aerodynamic" when on the showroom floor, but after the owner gets it home, well, then "the fun begins"....

Seems like the "advanced feature" only lasted for a couple of years (thankfully)...

And, at the current price of a pack of gum, I'm seriously considering going to "bacon fat" or "pine tar" as a replacement... It's hard to justify that kind of money for 5 sticks of flavored "tree sap" LOL
When we bought ours after seeing one at the RV show the one at the show and the brochure had exposed tanks and a diamond plate on the bottom of the cap. We ordered it and when it arrived it was the "new model" as the changeover happened before the build. We got a year newer unit so we accepted it but that cubby hole sure is a PIA. It was made even worse because it came with the battery top flush to the top of the frame. Unfortunately that wouldn't work with the WDH so it had to be modified to set on top of the A frame, right behind the tongue jack. Makes it stupid tight but it is what it is.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:41 AM   #28
jamtracy

We are a leave both bottles open and rely on the auto changeover valve people. We also use the Mopeka sensors.
We have never run out of propane in out 2 5th wheels over 9 years. To each their own.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:00 AM   #29
Mikelff

Lol, I use both methods. During the day I have one tank shut off and check the primary tank regularly. At night or during lousy weather, I’ll turn on both tanks so that I don't let the propane run out during a cold night or rainy, lousy weather. If I know the primary tank is low, I’ll check it in the morning or when there is a break in the weather. If I find one very low or empty, I’ll get it filled before the second tank gets low. Monitoring your propane will ensure you don’t run both tanks dry. I have never run out, but that is because I keep track of it. If you run out, it’s most likely operator error.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:15 AM   #30
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Leaving one tank closed in my opinion doesn't avoid surprises, it just changes the time that the surprise happens to 2-3 am when the open tank runs out & you have no heat. That happened ONCE, from that time on both tanks are open.
Typically if running the furnace you're already closely monitoring LP usage, 30lb bottle will last 2-4 days depending on temps. If not running the furnace that 30lb bottle will last 3-4 months so if it does changeover before you notice at least you won't out in the middle of the night opening valves.
Just my .02 cents!
This is definitely a personal choice based a lot on usage. Both methods have their pros and cons.

My take is that it's better to be surprised at 2am and be able to go out and turn on bottle 2 rather than to be surprised at 2am and say 'oh sh**, both bottles are empty!'

Since we don't use a whole lot of propane, it's not something I think to check consistently. I don't know that I would actually get to the point of using up both bottles before I checked and saw my original was 'in the red', but there's a good chance I'd be into bottle 2 before noticing it, and therefore not know how much I had used up in my secondary.

I think I'm probably an excellent candidate for both bottles 'on' and the Mopeka sensors!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:41 AM   #31
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Thought you might also like to see a video and explanation of the auto change over regulator..

I prefer to keep the secondary tank valve closed and then switch the regulator to point to that full tank, which now becomes the Primary tank and the indicator turns green.

This way I know when a tank is empty. Yea I might have to trek outside to switch over the tank but I know I have a full one left to do so.

video from my 2014 Alpine
https://youtu.be/SUISQqc6P-o
You're doing it exactly how it's meant to be done.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:42 AM   #32
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
This is definitely a personal choice based a lot on usage. Both methods have their pros and cons.

My take is that it's better to be surprised at 2am and be able to go out and turn on bottle 2 rather than to be surprised at 2am and say 'oh sh**, both bottles are empty!'

Since we don't use a whole lot of propane, it's not something I think to check consistently. I don't know that I would actually get to the point of using up both bottles before I checked and saw my original was 'in the red', but there's a good chance I'd be into bottle 2 before noticing it, and therefore not know how much I had used up in my secondary.

I think I'm probably an excellent candidate for both bottles 'on' and the Mopeka sensors!
It's a real pain, when you run out of propane in both tanks, and getting them filled is 30 miles away.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:52 AM   #33
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
The polarization over the tank configuration reminds me of this…
🤣😂🤪😜🤓😏😎🥳
Das ist güt !!
Old 01-22-2023, 09:54 AM   #34
WDPatterson

I see this subject come up, so often, these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roger-on-That-70s-Show-roger-daltrey-28841717-512-384.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	42746  
Old 01-22-2023, 10:11 AM   #35
oldnjrver

I don't know about anyone else but I like to leave my two 25 lb tanks on auto changeover.

I check to see how full they are before leaving on a trip, and decide from there whether I have enough or not.. For what its worth a couple of propane tanks generally last me a whole season. We've rarely camped when the outside temps have dropped to less than 35 degrees.

I also carry a smaller 10 lb tank. that I use for our Blackstone and propane stove. It makes a great backup supply If the main tanks ever run out. 5 years of camping and haven't run out of propane yet!!

Safe and happy travels
All the best
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:27 PM   #36
rlh1957

Just as Sourdough said it is the auto changeover valve. It changes over from one tank yo the full tank without interruption.
You have to keep in mind usage and levels do it doesn’t changeover and you continue to use without realizing you’ve been operating from your second tank and now it is empty.
We like the auto changeover valve, but make it part of our fuel or departure checks on travel days just so there aren’t any surprises when we might need furnace.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:21 AM   #37
RickV

I have been using the Auto-Changeover since our second 5ver came equipped with it back in 2014. I bought the Mopeka sensors since they first came out, they work great. Once it alerts me that a tank is near empty I'll pull that tank and get it refilled. The only thing that the Mopeka sensors fail at is battery life, it seems that just about every time I need to fill a tank it is time to change the battery.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:30 AM   #38
rlh1957

We got the Mopeka LP monitors. They work great.
We carry extra batteries for everything. If it goes out we change battery. Batteries are cheap. Mopeka & tire pressure sensors use them.

Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
Old 01-23-2023, 08:20 AM   #39
jxnbbl

+1 on this...One item I wanted to mention is that I've found these items very useful as the "spacers" that come with the unit really don't last. For those that don't have this, these raise the tank enough to put the sensor under the tank.

LINK
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:40 AM   #40
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
+1 on this...One item I wanted to mention is that I've found these items very useful as the "spacers" that come with the unit really don't last. For those that don't have this, these raise the tank enough to put the sensor under the tank.

LINK
Most definitely worth the money. The little spacers that Meopka comes with are useless snd fall off. The ring is the answer and doesn’t allow tank to touch at bottom.

Tags
propane, tank