Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2023, 09:02 PM   #1
GallopingGrandpa

Recirculating tankless water heater

Very disappointed in the performance of my tankless water heater. Too long to get hot water which wastes water while boondocking. Does anyone know anything about recirculating on my Hideout 22MLS.
GallopingGrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:03 AM   #2
RickV

I don't know what model you have but, on our you have to turn the thermostat up to around 120 degrees before the recirculating feature works. The drawback to this is you use more propane. It is like a Catch 22.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:54 AM   #3
notanlines

We have circulating hot water at home in the kitchen and the master bathroom. It is powered by a 1/16 HP motor located at the water heater. How does this work in your RV?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:16 AM   #4
Mikendebbie

I have read here on the forum that Keystone installed the Suburban IW60RL recirculating on-demand water heaters in Alpine fifth wheels for a short time maybe 2020-2021 ??? (sorry but I don’t know the exact time frame).

On Keystone’s YouTube channel (Camp Better) they have a video posted Nov 2022 that states they are installing Girard GSWH-2 (42,000 btu) on-demand water heaters in the 2023 models. Girard is owned by Lippert. This unit is NOT a recirculating water heater. You would need to do your own research to find an external 12 volt recirc pump to add to your system. Most recirc pumps I saw were 120 volt.

I watched a few videos and read some reviews on the Girard and it seems to be a pretty good unit. Do a search for Girard water heater videos and you will find lots of them. You might get some tips on how to maximize the use of your water heater.

You might also consider selling your Girard and replace it with an “old school” standard water heater like they used in RVs for the past 50 years. The “standard” water heaters tend to cost $500-$600…about the same for on-demand RV water heaters. However - even if you swap water heaters, the physical distance from your heater to the faucet is still the same, so the amount of “wasted” water while you wait for hot water will be close to the same. I assume the “order of the day” while boondocking is short and quick Navy showers to conserve water, so you can’t really enjoy the benefits of the Girard.

I have a Suburban IW60 (60,000 btu) non-recirculating water heater in my RV and we do not boondock. I don’t miss 50 years of Navy showers in my previous RVs with standard water heaters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C61878AC-20B3-442E-A4CB-4043C2CA082F.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	42594  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:21 AM   #5
GallopingGrandpa

Thanks guys. I guess I should have mentioned that my Hideout is a 2023. My tankless is a Girard.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:08 PM   #6
GallopingGrandpa

Does anyone have experience with retrofitting their RV with a recirculating pump and bridge valve?
Old 01-06-2023, 05:16 PM   #7
Mikendebbie

I googled “diagram for recirculating hot water”. Lots of stuff comes up for residential applications. The diagram below is fairly typical for what I found. This shows the recirc pump located at the farthest fixture from the heater, but the pump can also be mounted near the heater. I suspect the concept for an RV would be the same. It looks like you will need a cold return line To create a loop. I am not a plumber and I know nothing more than what I learned researching this topic for the past 30 minutes. If you plan to recirculate hot water in your unit - I think your Girard water heater will sense flow continuously and will fire the propane burners continuously. Seems like that will use far more propane than you currently use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1113848A-DB00-4A48-9D74-CD914A51BFEA.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	42617  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 03:53 PM   #8
GallopingGrandpa

Guess we'll have to work on our "navy shower" technique. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:22 AM   #9
mr. parker

There is another option. I think it's called the shower miser, or something like that. It is a diverter valve installed in the shower that will direct the water from the hot line back to the fresh tank until you have hot water at the shower valve. Thus reusing the normally wasted water waiting for hot to show up. I would expect it to work well in a system like yours.
mr. parker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, tank, water, water heater