Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2022, 07:46 AM   #1
STJ

Generator choices

I currently have 2 Honda EU2000s which are about 4 years old. I use them in parallel to run my Outback 301 UBH.
The companion gen (the one with the 30amp plug for the camper) is in need of repair, it will not take a load and stops running.
This is getting me thinking about changing to a Champion Generator, with the 3500 dual fuel. The Hondas take a lot of accessories to run with parallel cables fuel tank extantion hoses and extra tank to run all night.
I am seeing a lot of campers with the Champions and would like some feed back on their reliability and performance. My camper is 50amp with a main 15000 btu
ac/heatpump and a 13500 btu ac in the master. I know neither gens will allow the use of both ACs at once but I have read some reviews saying the 3500 isn't up to the task for a 15000btu unit. I also like how quite the Honda runs and hoping the Champions and close. When running correctly I have never had any problems running one ac on the Hondas.

Thanks for any feedback, Jeff
STJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:06 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

I had a Champion dual fuel non-inverter open frame (I think it was a 4250W/3800W). It was electric start. Never used it on propane. It was totally unreliable during real cold weather; perhaps I should have used synthetic oil but even after running it out of fuel when shutting off and cleaning the carburetor periodically and keeping fuel stabilizer in the gas, it just didn't like to start cold. Perhaps others had a different experience.

I now have an open frame WEN 6250 inverter generator that starts easily (pull start) and is very very reliable. I doubt I would haul it around if traveling but it could be done if you are young and strong I guess (I am not). I use it to power most of my house through a transfer switch when power is out. Honestly would never buy another Champion product.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:59 AM   #3
cougar23

I have two Wen 2000 watt inverter Gens. Easy connection for parallel but one generator will run my AC which has a Soft Start installed. I only carry one in the 5th wheel, starts 1st pull, weighs about 30 lbs. Have seen a few Champions
which seemed rather noisy.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 04:44 PM   #4
Village Idiot

I have a Champion 3400, not dual fuel. Starts easy and runs fairly quiet (I think anyway) I only have one ac (15k) with an Easy Start and it only goes above an idle for a second when the ac starts. I have been very happy with mine. I used it on my previous camper which had a 13.5K ac without a soft start and had no issues running the ac.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 06:45 AM   #5
STJ

After hearing some comments I think I will look into a soft start for one or maybe both of my ac unites, so I can choose which one to use.
STJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 07:47 AM   #6
Max23

interesting reading. I have heard a lot of good things about Champion, actually, this is my first bad. I have never used a Wen generator however did have a couple Wen products in the past. I would never buy another Wen product as my experience was garbage with NO customer support whatsoever. Again, this is one experience and one size does NOT fit all. I think some of it is just luck of the draw as anything can be a "Friday" unit. Sorry to be so vague but just my less than 2cents worth.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:36 AM   #7
Third Degree

I would fix the Honda. Check here to see if the problem unit in on a recall.
https://powerequipment.honda.com/sup...ls-and-updates
Third Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:36 AM   #8
SR71 Jet Mech

I have two 2k watt champions. Have had them for about 9 years now. The only problem I’ve ever had is sometimes with the main a/c unit (on a thermostat) when it would cycle, if the paralleled gens don’t kick on exactly at the same time one would overload.

Both are still excellent gens. Due to my solar setup now I rarely use them. If I do it’s only one at a time to charge batteries. I still carry both “just in case”.

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 12:43 PM   #9
Bandit12

FWIW, I have a Predator 3500 inverter generator that's about 4 years old. Other than having to replace the battery twice, it has given us wonderful service. It's every bit as quiet as the Honda units at about 1/3 the cost. I have added a big wheel kit I purchased on Amazon, a magnetic drain plug and remote start kit from Generator Upgrade Supply, and after replacing the battery last year, I added a flat two wire connector so I can attach a battery tender when it's being stored. It has never failed to start. When the battery was shot, one pull on the rope was all it took to get it fired up. I normally transport it on a cargo tray on the rear hitch, unless we know we're going to be on the road for more than a day in which case I have a pair of tri fold ramps I use to roll it into the bed of the truck. It will run for 5 hours on a full tank of fuel while running the 15K A/C. I have not set up an extended run fuel source for it. Weighs about 100 lbs and is so quiet, I can have it under the slide out, with the exhaust facing away from the trailer, and be sitting in the recliner nearly directly above it, watching TV with the fireplace going and can barely hear it. I can run everything in the trailer at the same time off it with one exception. If I have the A/C on and want to use the microwave, I need to shut off the A/C. Since this pic was taken, I have relocated the spare tire to an underbody tire hoist and can now center the generator on the tray. With the stock wheels, it sat inside the tray rails. With the big wheel kit, the forward wheels are hanging over the front edge, hence the need for the cribbing under the generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Predator on trailer.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	1,015.1 KB
ID:	42628  
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 12:47 PM   #10
LI Guy

I have 2 champion 2500 watt duel fuel generators and used in tandem they start both my 15k a/cs. Great starting ,never used them with propane though but I bought the hook up anyway. I have no problem recommending Champion generators.
LI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:13 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

I also have two 2KW Champion generators. They start on the first or second pull, are as quiet as my previous Honda generator and, for 8 year old "cheap power equipment" have been well worth the investment.

One thing to remember about the Champion line, the ECON switch is not "fast acting" to keep the generator output constant and, as stated above, can/will "bog down the generator and trip the overload circuit"...

Fortunately, the Owner's Manual does address this "deficiency".. If the operator follows the Instructions in the Owner's Manual, even when using the parallel connection box, the "time delay to increase RPM and wattage output" is negated and the overload won't trip as long as the power demand is less than 2KW for a single unit or 4KW for two units using the parallel connection. Just turn the ECO switch off and let the generator run at full speed when using the air conditioner or any other "heavy power load". To me, it's "sort of the same thing" as trying to start a rig with a manual transmission in second gear from a stop. It "ramps up much better if you start in first"... Same with the generator when "slamming it with a heavy load".....

Here's the statement and warning from the Owner's Manual.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CHAMPION GENERATOR WARNING.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	42629  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:09 PM   #12
ssthrd

Champion 4500/3500

I have been using my current 4500/3500 inverter gen for a couple of years doing duty in my remote shop as well as my 5er when travelling. I have never had an issue.

Before starting, I always pull the starter chord slowly a couple of times just to get things moving, then turn the ez start dial to choke and give it a good hard pull. Starts first pull almost every time.

It weighs close to 100#, so a bit on the heavy side, but manageable at this point in my life.

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax
ssthrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:42 PM   #13
Matty Rich

I have an Onan P4500i. 4500 starting/3800 running power.
Thing is a beast. I have over 1000 hours on it. I’ve neglected the maintenance and it still fires up like a champ every time. In the 1000 hours I’ve probably changed the oil 3 times.
I plan to do a full service on it this week. Spark Plug, Oil, Air Filters and Valve adjustment.
I was just out for a dry camping trip in the desert for the holidays. I was there for 7 days. I never turned the thing off except to add fuel twice a day.
Worth every penny I paid for it.
On the even more portable side. I have a Generac GP3000i. Haven’t used it as much as the Onan but it’s been flawless.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:01 PM   #14
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I also have two 2KW Champion generators. They start on the first or second pull, are as quiet as my previous Honda generator and, for 8 year old "cheap power equipment" have been well worth the investment.

One thing to remember about the Champion line, the ECON switch is not "fast acting" to keep the generator output constant and, as stated above, can/will "bog down the generator and trip the overload circuit"...

Fortunately, the Owner's Manual does address this "deficiency".. If the operator follows the Instructions in the Owner's Manual, even when using the parallel connection box, the "time delay to increase RPM and wattage output" is negated and the overload won't trip as long as the power demand is less than 2KW for a single unit or 4KW for two units using the parallel connection. Just turn the ECO switch off and let the generator run at full speed when using the air conditioner or any other "heavy power load". To me, it's "sort of the same thing" as trying to start a rig with a manual transmission in second gear from a stop. It "ramps up much better if you start in first"... Same with the generator when "slamming it with a heavy load".....

Here's the statement and warning from the Owner's Manual.
Thanks John, it’s been awhile since I’ve used that setup, couldn’t remember the ins and outs and I do remember finding that in my manual. They are awesome gens, yes still start on first or second pull every time!

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:41 AM   #15
lpdandrea

I'm a little late to this conversation but here is another option. I permanently mounted one Honda EU6500 on our 322BH. It runs everything. No lifting required. I made a short power cable that I leave connected when we're on the road. Honda even sells a remote start module but I never felt the need. There is some felt vibration when its running but way less than the Onan in our old MH. We don't run it at night but we could if needed.
I feel that this was too much weight for the bumper so it is tied into the right-hand frame rail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160612_182151.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	42658   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160616_182956.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	42659  

2015 Outback 322BH
2017 Ram 2500
lpdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 05:46 PM   #16
B-O-B'03

This will be our 8th season with the our Champion 3100/2800 inverter generator.

It usually starts on the first pull, never more than 2 and was quite handy a year ago when the "stormagedon" hit and took the power out for 4 days.

I drug it out of the shed, where it had been hibernating for a few months, put gas in it and it started on the first pull. It ran for 4 days straight, with refueling every 6 hours. I made up a a 50 to 30 amp jumper cable, switched off the house main and all the 220 breakers and we had power for lights, TV internet, phone, 2 fridges, 1 deep freeze and one gas furnace at a time (even the 30 amp service to the camper was hot).

When we are camping it will start and run the 15K AC unit in the camper with no issues.

I have definitely gotten my moneys worth out of it and if it dies tomorrow, I will buy another one.

-Brian
Old 01-12-2023, 09:09 AM   #17
oldnjrver

We originally purchased two Champion 2000 watt inverter generators with parallel kit, mainly because they were light enough (45 lbs ea) to lift into my pickup. They both ran great for about 2 years.. I always use stabilizer in my fuel. Finally one stopped accepting load because a carburator went bad and had to be replaced..
The run time was limited due to gas tank size, and it was a bit of a chore setting up the parallel kit, adding fuel to two tanks and starting two generators.

I ended up purchasing an ONAN P4500i and will never look back.. With a front hitch mounted carrier on my pickup being low enough to load the 95 lb generator, It will go anywhere we need it to. There have been times when we ran the generator without even having to unload it from the carrier. The larger fuel tank allows for longer runs between refueling, higher load capacity, no parallel kit to deal with and only one gas tank to refuel. The added bonus of a remote start stop is great. I gave away one of my champions and just keep the one for occasional low load use..

That's my 2 cents, for what its worth.

Safe and pleasant travels
All the best
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:29 AM   #18
RET.LEO

I have had a Champion 2500 dual fuel for over a year now......LOVE it! I can't see spending close to double the price for a RED inv/gen.
If I were to buy another inv/gen it would only be a Champion 3400 with the electric start.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator