Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2022, 07:09 AM   #1
seanrmz

propane furnace on while towing

Hello everyone, newbie question. I have a Cougar 30RLS '21 and we are heading out to Fl this December. It will be below zero when we leave from Montreal Canada, and I would like to keep the furnace on just above freezing to keep it warm enough so we could bring up the temp easy when we pitstop along the way.

I did look into it and I am not getting a clear answer.

thanks sean
Old 11-11-2022, 08:05 AM   #2
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanrmz View Post
Hello everyone, newbie question. I have a Cougar 30RLS '21 and we are heading out to Fl this December. It will be below zero when we leave from Montreal Canada, and I would like to keep the furnace on just above freezing to keep it warm enough so we could bring up the temp easy when we pitstop along the way.

I did look into it and I am not getting a clear answer.

thanks sean
I think you're going to get varying answers on this. Some will say it's unsafe. Some will say it's fine. The risk is that while traveling a leak occurs and no one is present to detect it and..... Personally if it were me in below zero temps, I might be tempted to fire up the furnace 45 minuets or so prior to arriving. Ultimately it's a personal choice.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:06 AM   #3
CedarCreekWoody

I've run mine while towing, but it was unplanned. I failed to turn it off at the thermostat and as it uses 12 volts and propane it came on. It seems to have worked ok but it is not something I would recommend. Sorry that I can't provide you a definitive answer.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:24 AM   #4
seanrmz

thanks for the answer, I did some looking on google and yes there are wide spread of answers. Your idea sounds great, I could flick it on from the app while driving.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:30 AM   #5
Old_Stevenick

I haven't wondered about the furnace, but have looked into the same issue for leaving the fridge on. We turn the propane tank off and sometimes put ice things in the fridge (like you leave in coolers) but honestly the food seems OK for a number of hours without power.

You definitely need to turn off the propane when you're in a gas station, by law, and I believe some states outlaw using it while driving.
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:38 AM   #6
seanrmz

thanks Old Steve, as for the fridge I can run it off my batteries and charging system from the truck. I just finished my solar system and also installed a dc to dc charger running off the trucks alternator.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:39 AM   #7
ChuckS

Yes I have run the furnace while towing.. Got caught coming back from Vegas one year in late November and going through Ely Nevada the temps were around 10 degrees..

WE had winterized the RV since we were headed back to our home state of Idaho but wife had picked up some plants and we had some liquid items in the Fifth wheel that would have all been frozen and damaged.

I set the furnace temp at 55 degrees and had no issues with the furnace keeping the inside warm while towing

Some will fret and worry about what happens if the furnace blows out while towing.. IF you unit has a furnace with DSI.. and most do then if the flame blows out the furnace will attempt to relight 3 times..

IF relight fails then furnace goes into lockout mode.. blower motor wont run, etc. Propane valve on furnace will not open..

BUT.. if you are gonna do this for long distances be aware that if the temps are really cold you will burn through a lot of propane while towing..

We ran out furnace for about 300 miles of towing

** and yes.. our plants and other tings inside the fifth wheel did just fine.. There were zero issues with the furnace running during this and that was about 5 years ago.. No issues with furnace

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:52 AM   #8
travelin texans

We've rv'd for a lot of years with several different rvs & have always ran the fridge on gas while traveling, fridge always set on "auto" so it ran on either gas while traveling or elec if plugged in, never blown one up!
Typically the the fridge has been on the opposite side of the rv as the fueling spot of the vehicle & 10-15' further back so have never shut off the fridge while fueling, never blown one up!
We've been border to border coast to coast & have yet to travel through any state that required the gas to be shut off while traveling. Curious as to who or how they could enforce that, there's not a visible flashing light indicator that the gas is on?
Have ran the furnace numerous times while traveling with the same scenario as the fridge, opposite side farther back from fueling, never blown one up!
Just my .02 cents!
This is one of those topics similar to flushing paper down the toilet. Rvs were designed to be used, fridge on gas while traveling & toilets with tanks that will handle tp, use as designed or not whatever you choose.
Two things I'd recommend never doing, #1 never leave the rv unattended with the city water turned on if you leave it for any length of time, #2 never leave the rv unattended with the awning extended.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:17 PM   #9
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
We've rv'd for a lot of years with several different rvs & have always ran the fridge on gas while traveling, fridge always set on "auto" so it ran on either gas while traveling or elec if plugged in, never blown one up!
Typically the the fridge has been on the opposite side of the rv as the fueling spot of the vehicle & 10-15' further back so have never shut off the fridge while fueling, never blown one up!
We've been border to border coast to coast & have yet to travel through any state that required the gas to be shut off while traveling. Curious as to who or how they could enforce that, there's not a visible flashing light indicator that the gas is on?
Have ran the furnace numerous times while traveling with the same scenario as the fridge, opposite side farther back from fueling, never blown one up!
Just my .02 cents!
This is one of those topics similar to flushing paper down the toilet. Rvs were designed to be used, fridge on gas while traveling & toilets with tanks that will handle tp, use as designed or not whatever you choose.
Two things I'd recommend never doing, #1 never leave the rv unattended with the city water turned on if you leave it for any length of time, #2 never leave the rv unattended with the awning extended.
PA turnpike (I-476 and I-276) requires the propane valves be off going through their numerous tunnels. I could be wrong but the Chesapeake Bay tunnel does not allow propane bottles at all, open or closed. I agree the likelihood of anyone checking is slim to none, but like driving over weight, why take the chance?
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 04:51 PM   #10
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post
PA turnpike (I-476 and I-276) requires the propane valves be off going through their numerous tunnels. I could be wrong but the Chesapeake Bay tunnel does not allow propane bottles at all, open or closed. I agree the likelihood of anyone checking is slim to none, but like driving over weight, why take the chance?
Most tunnels require propane off, and the dozen times we have traversed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel system we had to show that the gas was off while we were at the toll plaza, but we were not otherwise restricted except for a 13’ 6” max height.

We always travel with the fridge running on gas and have not had an issue. I also don’t see an issue with running the furnace while in transit, but isn’t something that I personally would be interested in doing.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:42 PM   #11
bobbecky

We have run with the furnace on several times, but our heat registers in the floor are all exposed when the slides are retracted, so the furnace works as designed. If your registers are covered by the slides, you might not want to run the furnace while traveling, you must maintain a minimum air flow through the furnace. We always run the fridge on propane while traveling and have never had a problem. The big hazard to the fridge is it being off level while rolling and damaging the cooling unit. We have an ARP device installed that protects the cooling unit, so that keeps the fridge healthy. We rarely fuel up with the rig in tow, but if we do, it is in the truck lanes as we have a diesel truck.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:16 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Most tunnels require propane off, and the dozen times we have traversed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel system we had to show that the gas was off while we were at the toll plaza, but we were not otherwise restricted except for a 13’ 6” max height.

We always travel with the fridge running on gas and have not had an issue. I also don’t see an issue with running the furnace while in transit, but isn’t something that I personally would be interested in doing.
We were just down in the tidewater area this spring and went thru the Hampton Roads tunnel heading south and the CBBGT going north when we went to Elizabeth City, NC. At the CBBT the toll collector asked if gas was on or off, didn't have to "prove" it. At HRT you pull over just before entering the tunnel. Used to be you had to let them turn the valve to verify but this time a woman with a clipboard and traffic vest just asked if it was closed. I said yes and she said I was good to go. Maybe I just look honest?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 02:33 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

I have never pulled a camper through a tunnel in Texas with the gas on. Come to think about it, have never seen a tunnel in Texas. I am pretty sure there are some under the Rio Grande but they wouldn't let my camper in those.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:27 PM   #14
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I have never pulled a camper through a tunnel in Texas with the gas on. Come to think about it, have never seen a tunnel in Texas. I am pretty sure there are some under the Rio Grande but they wouldn't let my camper in those.
Washburn tunnel under the Houston Ship Channel, between Galena Park and Pasadena.
There was also the Baytown tunnel under the Houston Ship Channel. It was replaced by the Fred Hartman bridge.
Both on the working side of town.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:21 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Washburn tunnel under the Houston Ship Channel, between Galena Park and Pasadena.
There was also the Baytown tunnel under the Houston Ship Channel. It was replaced by the Fred Hartman bridge.
Both on the working side of town.
Not fond of Houston especially driving in or through...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:33 PM   #16
rhagfo

In cold weather furnace on propane while traveling, fridge is no longer an issue, 12 volt compressor cooling unit.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:46 AM   #17
Pull Toy

As previously mentioned, turn off propane were required for tunnels and bridges. AND FUEL STOPS!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:06 AM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Not fond of Houston especially driving in or through...
I'll take Houston over Seattle any day! Even towing the 5th wheel, but don't want to drive a car through Seattle ever again. Sorry if there's any Seattle folks here, but those folks up there can't drive, but sure can give one finger waves.
I apologize, that had nothing to do with furnaces!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:53 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

One thought on running furnace .... do the slides cover the vents while retracted? If they do the furnace may trip on overheat. If it doesn't the slide portion covering the vent may get fairly hot.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:08 AM   #20
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
One thought on running furnace .... do the slides cover the vents while retracted? If they do the furnace may trip on overheat. If it doesn't the slide portion covering the vent may get fairly hot.
** Great point to mention for the OP.. In my case None of the floor vents are covered with slides retracted so there is no issue of overheat and tripping the thermal overtemp sensor on the furnace.

With so many floor plans out there its an item to verify for sure..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, towing, tow, furnace