Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2022, 05:43 AM   #1
Knox

In-Command problem

Just picked up our new 2022 Cougar 22RBS last Monday.
Three times since Monday the iN-Command system has crashed; screen just goes blank and whatever was happening (such as the slide coming in) stops.
Only thing that gets it going again is to shut off the power then back on and it will reboot.

Has anyone else had this problem with the iN-Command system?
I haven't done an update yet so wifi where it's parked.

Any suggestions/comments appreciated.
Thanks
Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:12 AM   #2
ChuckS

It sounds to me like your issues occur when you operate something from the In Command that draws more that a few amps ..

I would start first by cleaning the battery posts, battery cable ends and remove the negative battery cable end that attaches to the frame and clean that area down to shiny bare metal..

I would also locate the BCM itself and check the incoming 12 volt power and ground wire terminals on the BCM.. Then check the ground wire from the BCM to frame chassis again removing that wire and cleaning the area down toi bare metal

Your In Command Version is most likely NCSP35.. Here is the link to the troubleshooting manual from ASA Jensen and page 2 will show you the BCM pinout so you can locate in coming 12 volt DC feed wire as well as chassis ground wire

https://www.in-command.net/wp-conten...ting-Guide.pdf

** Any momentary Glitch on the DC feed coming into the BCM will crash the system each and every time so good 12 volt DC power is essential

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:46 AM   #3
ShotgunZ71

Mine was a little glitchy after a few uses. I let it find and load the updates, and it has been more responsive since then. Don't know how long that will last, but it's been better so far.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:09 AM   #4
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotgunZ71 View Post
Mine was a little glitchy after a few uses. I let it find and load the updates, and it has been more responsive since then. Don't know how long that will last, but it's been better so far.
Since your RV is brand new I would highly suggest you remove the negative battery cable from the Frame and verify you have a nice bare metal connection.

I would also do the same at the BCM ground

Lastly.. I would locate the power center panel and with shore power and battery power removed check and tighten each and every 120 and 12 volt BUS bar connection. You may find that all is good but the areas I have mentioned are "Known" potential problem areas...

Old 01-26-2023, 07:33 AM   #5
tmm004

Make sure in-command is set on correct time for your area.
tmm004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:03 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm004 View Post
Make sure in-command is set on correct time for your area.
I’m sure InCommand doesn’t care what time zone your in to operate.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:09 PM   #7
M&M2

ASA support states time has to be correct for some unknown reason. I think it is required when you access with Global Connect app or Wifi.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:29 AM   #8
jasin1

is it plugged into shore power while you operate the slides? maybe as was mentioned you have a battery that isn’t fully charged.

also don’t operate the slides with just shore power and no batteries. that’s not good either.
slides are a big draw on power and if the battery isn’t fully charged and your not on shore power you could easily lose power to the incommand….do the lights in the rv dim also when your operating the slides?
Old 01-27-2023, 07:18 AM   #9
ChuckS

I can assure you that the time has not a ting to do with the In Command crashing issue..

What IS CAUSING the issue is a GLITCH IN VOLTAGE along the 12 volt DC BUS that also feeds the BCM and In Command display.. This will immediately cause the BCM to falter and the display to falter as well

Either the OP has a bad battery ( even though on shore power ), loose or dirty battery cables, loose 12 vdc pwr feed to BCM or loose ground to BCM..

If the issue only occurs when slides or some other heavy current draw item is operated then a loose, corroded, connection on that specific item can also cause glitch on the main DC BUS..

Also a weak resettable DC breaker for a slide out will cause intermittent amperage draw and cause same issue

Old 01-27-2023, 12:40 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M2 View Post
ASA support states time has to be correct for some unknown reason. I think it is required when you access with Global Connect app or Wifi.
You’ve got my curiosity peaked, link?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:17 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Thinking logically, if time settings on the In Command were an issue, then EVERY travel trailer would have problems heading east or west and crossing a time zone. I don't know of a "smart phone" that doesn't update time automatically, so as soon as the "phone and the trailer" cross into a different time zone, they would no longer be "in sync"....

I too would like to see some reference in an ASA manual that gives the requirement to update time zones to prevent component failures.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:26 PM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Thinking logically, if time settings on the In Command were an issue, then EVERY travel trailer would have problems heading east or west and crossing a time zone. I don't know of a "smart phone" that doesn't update time automatically, so as soon as the "phone and the trailer" cross into a different time zone, they would no longer be "in sync"....

I too would like to see some reference in an ASA manual that gives the requirement to update time zones to prevent component failures.....
mine has never given the right time because it won’t set for eastern standard time for some reason…even when set for daylight savings it is always off. it’s never been a problem..if someone at ASA told m&m2 that then maybe they were just wrong…could have been their first week on the job..a lot of employee turnover nowadays…when someone at a store or anywhere tells me something that doesn’t sound right i always ask someone else …. or look for the answer myself.

(home depot employee)…. “ nope ,sorry sir i don’t “think” we have any more of those widgets”

(me..born skeptic)……hmmmm well what’s that way up on the top shelf over there?!!!
Old 01-27-2023, 02:50 PM   #13
markcee

The system date and time need to be correct when attempting to perform OTA (over the air) system updating.

Having the correct date/time has no bearing on actual system operation, at least not in any documentation I have.

From the NCSP3/P35 update document:

If updates are not found OTA please verify the Data & Time are correct in Settings > Date & Time and power cycle the display.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:57 PM   #14
Mikendebbie

Here is a screen shot from the owners manual…
This is for a Global Connect InCommand system.
The ProPlus version in my RV does not have a clock to set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15CD8B66-7FCE-4B02-AB94-052645C1C63D.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	42793  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:19 PM   #15
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Yep...you definitely need a correct date and time on any device that allows scheduling, alarms etc., if not the device won't know when to start/stop. But, not having it correct or set won't cause the system crashes the OP described.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:20 PM   #16
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
i think that’s more for having your schedules match up..your actual time and the rv time for when you sleep and wake up for hvac settings…but i don’t think it has anything to do with your rv talking with the mothership back at in·command central…similar to your home programmable thermostat
Old 01-27-2023, 03:29 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Hmmm, this conversation reminds me of why I specified no In Command when I was looking for a new trailer last go round. Next time I would specify no Key TV as well but I think that one is just there now, good or bad.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:44 PM   #18
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Hmmm, this conversation reminds me of why I specified no In Command when I was looking for a new trailer last go round. Next time I would specify no Key TV as well but I think that one is just there now, good or bad.
Yep....I knock on wood after every trip. So far I've been very lucky with In Command....KeyTV as well - once I figured out that Keystone had it mis-wired.

But, I sure hope I never have to worry about replacing the BCM or even the DC. Probably will become obsolete and hard to find over time and cost an arm and a leg.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:02 PM   #19
Mikendebbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Danny - we picked out our unit at the RV show. I had no idea what InCommand was. I thought “Wow…cool gadget!” That said - my InCommand ProPlus has been flawless. I installed their update maybe 3 years ago. For the long term maybe switches would have been better, but it’s done now and I am married to it. Luckily my 2018 was the year before KeyTV became standard…thankful for that.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:11 AM   #20
M&M2

Don’t know why it’s important to ASA developers, and likely not a problem if time being close. This is one reason developers want it kept updated:

Software and Access Authorization
If your computer clock strays too far from the correct time, software that relies on Internet-based authorization schemes and Web-based services that require access information may reject your attempts to use these resources.

I agree that no impact to local functionality on the RV should be impacted.