Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2022, 04:14 PM   #1
Devin_Noel

Setting up the truck to move from bumper pull to 5th wheel

I currently have a 2014 F350 PowerStroke shortbed with the factory puck system & a saddle toolbox. The bumper pull toy hauler doesn't pull well & we are going to be changing over to a 5th wheel in the next year or so I think. The trailer will be under 16k, preferably under 10-12k.

Obviously the saddle toolbox needs to go to avoid crushing the cab & front cap on the trailer. Mine is also a bit long front to back & may interfere with the front edge of the 5th wheel hitch itself. Going to be swapping that out for something like a Weatherguard 664-5-01 ALL-PURPOSE CHEST, possibly a low profile saddle toolbox. I'm assuming I'd be much safer going with a chest type toolbox below the bed rails than even a low profile saddle toolbox? Any recommendations for a good toolbox?

Question 2 is the hitch...
Option 1
The truck came with a B&W Companion fixed mount. Apparently the previous owner towed something just fine with a fixed hitch & shortbed, but I don't know what.

Option 2
I acquired a Curt 24k slider with no head for a quick remove refueling station project for my tractor that never ended up happening. Puck mounts measurements match the truck so it should fit, but I haven't tried it, or don\t remember fitting it years ago when I got it. In theory I'd just need to get a head, possibly https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...RT/C16545.html for that

I hear a number of people saying that they can actually tow modern 5th wheels with a shortbed fine without a sider hitch. Also a lot of the trailers we saw at dealers when kicking tires had sidewinder type hitches. I have a pretty tight turn to get into my driveway, but can do it with the 35' bumper pull I have now, so it's less than a 45 degree bend at the hitch to pull it off.

We are a ways out from getting a trailer so some of those details remain to be seen, but I want to get things figured out & slowly get prepped for whatever I can. Most dealers don't seem to allow test drives these days so to some degree my abilities to make sure everything fits well beforehand aren't going to be the greatest.

Any suggestions on a direction I should be looking at for toolbox or hitch? Toolbox is reasonably straight forward & will likely happen when I can find a good deal on one new or off Craigslist. There is a Curt E-16 on CL for $250 nearby right now. Not sure if the head off that would fit on the 24k slider, but I'd consider checking it out to see if it was compatible & picking it up if a slider was going to be a much better idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220928_172301.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	42009  
Devin_Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 07:04 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

If you need a toolbox solution, I use one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Lockable-Stor...71681231&psc=1
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 07:51 PM   #3
bsmith0404

I had a tool box years ago it was 2” above the bed rails and never caused a problem. Got close a few times, probably within an inch. I got rid of it when I added an aux tank. Personally, if I was getting one again, I’d try to stay below the bed rails, probably get something like a job site box.

As for hitches, I’ve towed 5th wheels for almost 20 years, had short bed trucks for all, but 4 of those years. I’ve never owned a slider and never will. I’ve had standard rail mount hitches, and now a Curt 16k puck mount that is use when towing someone else’s 5er. I personally use a Pullrite 2600 single point. I’ve also had an Andersen in the past, got rid of that in favor of the Pullrite for multiple reasons. I went with the Andersen and Pullrite for the same reason, the 5” offset that I gain in cab clearance. To be honest, I’ve done a lot of research on the Goosebox and plan to switch to that soon. To be honest, don’t know why I haven’t yet, other than I don’t have any trips planned for this fall and I’m avoiding the cost and labor of swapping the pin box. The Goosebox actually gains me almost 2” over my stock pinbox. That’s just insurance clearance since I’ve never had an issue with the Curt and my current truck. So long story short, Since you have the puck system, I’d forget about a hitch and get the Goosebox.

As far as toy haulers go, you’ll find it difficult to find anything in the 10k range in a 5th wheel. 12k is possible in some of the smaller units, but your selection will be limited.

I don’t know what you haul in the garage, but as someone who sold RVs, my recommendation is don’t get anything less than a 13’ garage. You may not need 13’, but many/most toy hauler buyers these days seem to have UTVs that require at least a 13’ garage. Anything smaller and you limit potential buyers when you decide to get rid of it. I don’t remember exact numbers, but I know toy haulers only make up around 10% of all RVs sold. That means your target market is already small, you don’t want to shrink it even more with a small garage.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 10:16 PM   #4
jsb5717

I use one of these boxes. It's low enough to sit below the bed rails so I can use a roll-up tonneau cover when not towing.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Bu...t-Box/42496177

I also have never used a slider and have always had short bed trucks. I use a set-back gooseneck ball to connect my Demco Recon. I've always had plenty of clearance.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 04:39 AM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
I use one of these boxes. It's low enough to sit below the bed rails so I can use a roll-up tonneau cover when not towing.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Bu...t-Box/42496177

I also have never used a slider and have always had short bed trucks. I use a set-back gooseneck ball to connect my Demco Recon. I've always had plenty of clearance.
Well we also have a a below the rails tool box, these pictures are in our 2001 Ram, it is now in our 2016 Ram.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 05:00 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Be cautious about any "slide bar fifth wheel hitch". While they do perform the "basic function of a hitch" they are prone to chucking, bucking and generally overall poor performance. The reason ??? They do not "grip the trailer king pin" but rather they have a "locking slide bar" that is spring loaded to the closed position and when triggered, a "flat bar" slides behind the "round kingpin" to slide under the kingpin flange to connect the trailer to the hitch.

A "slide bar hitch" will do the basic functions for towing, but both the Reese and Curt slide bar hitch systems are, at least in my opinion, the "very basic entry level fifth wheel hitch"....

I have one sitting in my pole barn, complete with all the pins, "just rusting away"..... After one season of being "chucked down the interstate" we got a Curt A-16 hitch. No more chucking, much more comfortable and there's no "bang when we start to accellerate"....

I'd recommend not getting an E-16 hitch to start. My guess is that after a season of towing, you'll also have a "very heavy paperweight" hanging on a wall somewhere.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 05:31 AM   #7
dutchmensport

I'm not going to give any advise on your hitch, but I do have a strong suggestion for you on your tool box .... and that is ... wait!

If your current tool box is working for you RIGHT NOW then don't change it out. Change it out after you purchase that fifth wheel. Why? Because of your current unknowns. You really do not know what kind of space you'll need for the fifth wheel, the hitch and the actual trailer itself.

If you anticipate a tool box now (that you really do not need NOW), and then you discover the new one will not work well when you finally do get the trailer, you've just wasted money. Now, you'll end up buying yet another tool box. So, my advise ... wait ... until you actually need it.

Besides, right now, you are pipe-dreaming about getting a fifth wheel (and that is good), but you are not at the serious-enough-stage in the process to actually get the camper now. Your ideas may change drastically over the next year and you may abandon the fifth wheel "dream" completely. Now you have money lost on the tool box.

The same goes for the hitch. Wait! Until you know exactly what camper you are getting at the time you are getting, and then at that time, get the hitch. That way, you know you have a good match for truck, hitch, and trailer. Besides, adjustments WILL have to be made on the trailer king pin and the fifth wheel hitch for adequate height to clear the bed rails adequate and to level the trailer, and compensate for truck squat (which is will some, regardless of how huge your truck is).

It's good to research these things out and have a game plan. There's nothing wrong with that. But, I just advise holding off on shelling out any money until you have the bird-in-hand.

I have a Chevy, Dually, Diesel, 3500 long bed 1 ton. We bumper pulled a 35 foot Outback for years. When we got the Fifth Wheel, our dealer installed the Fifth Wheel hitch for us. It took them less than an hour to do it and after 4 years, I've never had any problems with it. So, a hitch can be installed really quick, and if you have the puck system already, it can be done even faster. If you already have a Curt, then I'd begin right there. Nothing wrong with getting that head for it, while it's still available. You can always sell the hitch if you end up never using it.
Old 10-16-2022, 05:59 AM   #8
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin_Noel View Post

Question 2 is the hitch...
Option 1
The truck came with a B&W Companion fixed mount. Apparently the previous owner towed something just fine with a fixed hitch & shortbed, but I don't know what.

I hear a number of people saying that they can actually tow modern 5th wheels with a shortbed fine without a sider hitch.

Most newer 5th wheels have a more "rounded" front cap, that allows them to be towed without a slider hitch.
Not sure how long your bed is, so you might or might not need a slider.

But just to give you an idea of what I am using:
I have the B&W Companion hitch in my "Standard Bed" GMC.
Bed length is 6' 9", so not the long 8' bed.
I have no issues at all pulling our Cougar 24RDS 5th wheel.
Click on the picture for full size image

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	42010
Old 10-16-2022, 07:13 AM   #9
Devin_Noel

Thanks for all the info. I assumed the light cheaper hitches were cheaper for a reason. No I know about sidebars. At this point I'll just stock with the fixed mount B&W Companion I have up in the weeds & assume it will work until proven otherwise.

I'll likely be trolling Craigslist for a deal on a chest type toolbox. Toolboxes are always handy to keep around if you get em cheap enough.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:35 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Reese makes an adapter for the Ford "puck system" that mounts in the pucks and "converts the Ford puck system to a "bed rail mount system"...

They are around and I've seen quite a few on CraigsList for sale. In fact, I sold mine on CL about 2 years ago. That might give you a "quick solution" to mounting your current hitch in your "puck equipped truck" without having to modify the truck to accept your hitch. Then, after you decide which way you want to go, pull the Reese adapter out, install your "new hitch in the pucks" and keep on towing.....

Here's the Reese Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Reese-30156-U...60315886&psc=1

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:41 AM   #11
bsmith0404

Husky makes an adapter kit as well, about the same price as the Reese. I use it for the Curt hitch I have, works very well. They are vehicle specific, I didn’t look to see if it works with your truck

https://www.carid.com/husky-towing/5th-wheel-trailer-hitch-replacement-puck-system-kit-mpn-33056.html?view=157023&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5of3k6Xl-gIVISutBh31AQPnEAQYCCABEgIc9_D_BwE
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 11:10 AM   #12
Devin_Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Reese makes an adapter for the Ford "puck system" that mounts in the pucks and "converts the Ford puck system to a "bed rail mount system"...

They are around and I've seen quite a few on CraigsList for sale. In fact, I sold mine on CL about 2 years ago. That might give you a "quick solution" to mounting your current hitch in your "puck equipped truck" without having to modify the truck to accept your hitch. Then, after you decide which way you want to go, pull the Reese adapter out, install your "new hitch in the pucks" and keep on towing.....

Here's the Reese Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Reese-30156-U...60315886&psc=1
I have the non-sliding B&W Companion & the Curt slider frame. Both have the Ford puck mounts already, so both should fit without any work. The only missing part is the head for the Curt frame. Was wondering if I should spend the time & money to get the slider complete over the already complete B&W. Consensus seems to be the the companion will be fine on a short bed with a modern 5th wheel. At least likely enough to be fine to not wory about a slider until after I get the new trailer.

Tags
5th wheel