Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2022, 09:19 AM   #1
Buffettfan

New member of the Big Truck Club!

So I bit the bullet and bought a big truck to pull my Bullet.
After 6000+ miles of pulling our PR24RK with my '08 single cab shortbed 1500 Ram, I bought a '22 2500 4X4 crew cab with the 6'4" bed and 6.4 Hemi.
2 reasons I went with gas is first, the upfront cost, and 2nd, I'm a bit nauseated by the smell of diesel.

We haven't pulled the trailer with the new truck yet, but have a short, 45 mile trip planned next week.
Hopefully we'll get one more trip after that before winter.

My first question is, how the heck do I wax the roof of this thing??
There's more roof that I can't reach, even with a ladder, than I can!

Looking forward to some creative solutions.

TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220906_170105~2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	41560  
Buffettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #2
Camping family

Congrats on the truck. I wax mine by standing in the bed of the truck reaching all that I can. Then I use a ladder from the sides. Works while for me. Might even try a small steep stole in the bed of the truck.
Enjoy the trips the bigger truck will make them easier and safer.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:35 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Regardless of brand, the 2500 will be a big difference in towing comfort. This is our first season with the 3/4 ton and the first thing we noticed was the better ride and more stable road feel. After our first 3,500 mile trip I realized that my neck and shoulders and hands all felt less stressed, no soreness, no headaches, just a great side benefit.

We have a twin panel moon roof so we have very little roof to actually worry about keeping clean. What little roof we do have can be reached from the running boards and bed of the truck.

Enjoy your new ride!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:30 AM   #4
Canonman

Contrats on the new TV. Looks great, "Cowboy Lights" and all
Heck, I can't even reach the middle of the hood let alone the cab.
I've found a good 3 step ladder and long handled wash brush works well. Fairly inexpensive and easily available at Walmart or just about any other big box.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:45 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Nice truck, but I'm not biased in any way. I wax mine from the bed as far as I can reach and then the front standing on the door sill with door open. After eighteen years of Florida sun I need a paint job.
Travel safely and enjoy your ride, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:56 AM   #6
jxnbbl

Great Truck! Time to update your profile.

Congratulations.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on the new truck! She's a beaut and there's just something about that nice "RAM" in the middle of the grill eh? When you drive by all those guys in the other brands say "dang! I wish my truck looked that good!". OK, fellas not trying to start a brand conversation....just partial and admiring.

BTW what it the rear axle ratio, 3.73?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:25 PM   #8
Roper46

Congrats on the Ram 2500 with the "Cowboy Lights". Wish my 3500 had them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220816_181906.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	529.1 KB
ID:	41561  
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:37 PM   #9
Buffettfan

Thanks everyone!
I did some testing today, I think I can BARELY reach the center of the roof between standing in the bed and on the running boards. Barely.
Yep, it's got the 3:73 gears, unfortunately it's an open rear differential. I may have to fix that, we'll see how it goes.

Terry, Teri and Lucy
2020 Premier 24RK
'22 Ram 2500
We are the people our parents warned us about.
Buffettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:34 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

3.73s with that trailer will do great. I had a 3/4 with the 3.73s pulling a heavier trailer and it was fine. With that trailer a diesel would have been overkill and a waste of money. You will like the sturdier tow platform.

You will find that the towing experience just went to a whole 'nother level so enjoy it. The open diff won't make any difference unless you opt for off road, slippery places etc. Since it is 4x4 it will be far better than a 4x2 IF you need it. The limited slips come in handy "sometimes". I haven't had near as many "needs" for a limited slip since I quit taking myself (and DW) to places where I knew I would probably need them....but I buy them anyway just because.

Keep in mind that it's a 4x4 so to fix an open differential you have to fix 2 of them. I'd give it a whirl for a while and see what you think, I bet it will work just fine. Used to put various limited slips/lockers/auto lockers etc. in trucks I played with but those things are getting expensive if you do it yourself, I have no idea how much it would be if you had someone put them in, BUT, if you do have them change the ring and pinions to 4.10...I love mine.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:40 PM   #11
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Congrats on the new truck! She's a beaut and there's just something about that nice "RAM" in the middle of the grill eh? When you drive by all those guys in the other brands say "dang! I wish my truck looked that good!". OK, fellas not trying to start a brand conversation....just partial and admiring.

BTW what it the rear axle ratio, 3.73?
Yeah, I admire all those Rams at the gas station as I drive by with plenty of fuel left to go for many more miles.

Nice truck, you’ll enjoy the added stability and yes, you will feel less stressed/tired after a day of towing. As for waxing, I use one of these platforms. I got mine at Lowes for around $90. It’s a good height, I like the fact that it’s long enough that I can work a decent size are of the hood and roof. I’ve detailed a lot of trucks, haven’t had one yet that I can’t reach the center of the roof using this. I don’t detail anything that can’t fit into my garage, so nothing that’s lifted. I’ve done Ford, GM, and Ram using this platform.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E848A1D8-9A58-46B8-866C-6854A9B0DAB0.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	41564  
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:53 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Yeah, I admire all those Rams at the gas station as I drive by with plenty of fuel left to go for many more miles.

Nice truck, you’ll enjoy the added stability and yes, you will feel less stressed/tired after a day of towing. As for waxing, I use one of these platforms. I got mine at Lowes for around $90. It’s a good height, I like the fact that it’s long enough that I can work a decent size are of the hood and roof. I’ve detailed a lot of trucks, haven’t had one yet that I can’t reach the center of the roof using this. I don’t detail anything that can’t fit into my garage, so nothing that’s lifted. I’ve done Ford, GM, and Ram using this platform.

Ahh, but who cares about fuel mileage (and Rams will match the others) when you have the best looking, best sounding truck on the road....and Bullwinkle mirrors to match (thanks Javi).
Old 09-12-2022, 09:26 PM   #13
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Ahh, but who cares about fuel mileage (and Rams will match the others) when you have the best looking, best sounding truck on the road....and Bullwinkle mirrors to match (thanks Javi).
I do have the best looking, best sounding truck on the road, plus no bullwinkle mirrors (bonus). Haven’t found a Ram (or Ford) that can match my fuel mileage yet, at least not on diesels, I think you gas guys are all getting about the same. I was just talking to a guy today with an F250 that said he would love to see 12 MPGs when pulling his trailer, he’s only getting 8-10. Running empty he was at 18-19 compared to my 21-22. All the Ram guys I used to transport with said the same. It’s actually not that big of a deal with the number of miles the average person drives per year, but I saved a lot of money on fuel when I was transporting and putting on over 100k miles per year. Then again, at $5 per gallon, the difference between 10 and 12 MPGs on our last trip, which was 5700 miles, saved us $475 on fuel costs. Of course, we don’t buy these things for fuel mileage. Each one has its pluses and minuses. There’s bits and pieces from each brand that I’d like to be able to mash together into one perfect truck. The OP got himself a nice new toy that will do the job he bought it for very well.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:45 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Not to sidetrack the OPs thread but if I was worried about fuel costs I guess I'd look at a Prius but that is probably the last thing I am concerned about. I like the ergonomics of a Ram but to each their own.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:59 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I do have the best looking, best sounding truck on the road, plus no bullwinkle mirrors (bonus). Haven’t found a Ram (or Ford) that can match my fuel mileage yet, at least not on diesels, I think you gas guys are all getting about the same. I was just talking to a guy today with an F250 that said he would love to see 12 MPGs when pulling his trailer, he’s only getting 8-10. Running empty he was at 18-19 compared to my 21-22. All the Ram guys I used to transport with said the same. It’s actually not that big of a deal with the number of miles the average person drives per year, but I saved a lot of money on fuel when I was transporting and putting on over 100k miles per year. Then again, at $5 per gallon, the difference between 10 and 12 MPGs on our last trip, which was 5700 miles, saved us $475 on fuel costs. Of course, we don’t buy these things for fuel mileage. Each one has its pluses and minuses. There’s bits and pieces from each brand that I’d like to be able to mash together into one perfect truck. The OP got himself a nice new toy that will do the job he bought it for very well.

Truck appearance is as personal as what kind of beer or what personality is best in choosing a spouse..... In other words, what one person likes may well be the exact opposite of what someone else finds appealing. That's why there's more than one truck brand and why each of them specializes in what they do best, both in appearance and in performance. It's best to leave the "my truck is the best looking, best sounding..." for around the campfire, where people can see the smile or smirk on your face. There's no "best choice" that fits every buyer just like there's no "best spouse" or "best beer"...

As an "aside", diesel mileage comparisons are "anti-gravity fodder" in a thread where in his first post, the OP stated that he just bought a: "22 2500 4X4 crew cab with the 6'4" bed and 6.4 Hemi"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:35 AM   #16
jasin1

nice looking truck! congratulations!

get a good coat of wax on it before winter and try and wax twice a year and it will look new for a long long time
Old 09-13-2022, 07:24 AM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's no "best choice" that fits every buyer just like there's no "best spouse" or "best beer"...
"
John, Lynn tells me that if I want to stay out of the doghouse I should disagree with your statement.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:28 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
John, Lynn tells me that if I want to stay out of the doghouse I should disagree with your statement.
Just reading John's statement makes me feel like I'm about to fly too close to the sun.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:40 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

That's why "I said it like I did"....

Note there's NO reference to any spouse, no reference to any beer brand, no reference to any truck brand and no "preference for diesel or gas"....

My intent was simply to say, we all don't like the same thing (thank goodness) and we all have a different view on what's the best for us in lots and LOTS of different things, from what we like to drive to who we prefer to share the RV with "when it's just the two of us"......

I don't think there's a "wrong choice" if the "chooser is happy".....

Hank, buy Lynn a rose, or maybe a rosé and give her a hug. She's your better half and a great choice.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:44 AM   #20
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Truck appearance is as personal as what kind of beer or what personality is best in choosing a spouse..... In other words, what one person likes may well be the exact opposite of what someone else finds appealing. That's why there's more than one truck brand and why each of them specializes in what they do best, both in appearance and in performance. It's best to leave the "my truck is the best looking, best sounding..." for around the campfire, where people can see the smile or smirk on your face. There's no "best choice" that fits every buyer just like there's no "best spouse" or "best beer"...

As an "aside", diesel mileage comparisons are "anti-gravity fodder" in a thread where in his first post, the OP stated that he just bought a: "22 2500 4X4 crew cab with the 6'4" bed and 6.4 Hemi"
If you go back and read, you’ll notice that my comments were made in response to sourdough’s comment. I don’t think either of us was serious with what we said, starting with the envy comments on sourdough’s initial post. It was all in good fun, no reason to get all serious and start the lectures.

Tags