Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2022, 10:31 AM   #1
jsb5717

Industry Update

Josh the RV Nerd is back with a pretty good industry update. There's something here for everyone so thought I'd share. This is bookmarked so if you watch it in YouTube instead of here you can more easily skip around by topic if you'd like

Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 10:58 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I'm amazed at how many people keep GETING IT WRONG!!!

Calif is not banning ALL SALES of gasoline vehicles just sales of NEW gasoline vehicles.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/25/cali...s-by-2035.html

I havent heard about DIESEL powered vehicles.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:22 PM   #3
travelin texans

(QUOTE)Calif is not banning ALL SALES of gasoline vehicles (QUOTE)

YET!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:49 PM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

Calif is not banning ALL SALES of gasoline vehicles just sales of NEW gasoline vehicles.

I wonder how many miles a vehicle needs to be considered “USED”????
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 02:16 AM   #5
RickV

Quote:

From what I've read it seems like they are after the Non-DEF commercial trucks now and going forward want them all to be EVs.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:35 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
(QUOTE)Calif is not banning ALL SALES of gasoline vehicles (QUOTE)

YET!
I can’t say what will happen, but I don’t really see that as a reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
AFAIK once a vehicle is registered, next sale is used. I suppose a dealer could “sell” the vehicle to person, buy it back and sell it as used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
From what I've read it seems like they are after the Non-DEF commercial trucks now and going forward want them all to be EVs.
Retro fitting diesels with DEF was discussed years ago. If an OTR truck isn’t outfitted with DEF it can’t do business in a port as I understand.

I’m not trying to defend, or condone any of the policies of the administration of cal, I’m just trying to clear up misinformation.

It’s not always a simple “ don’t like it, leave”. There are lots of different factors in choosing to move or not. Just sayin….

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-11-2022, 05:57 AM   #7
jasin1

yes it’s a cartoon bear but the video is pretty interesting …..could this apply to a truck and fifth wheel combo? not sure if they could weigh the whole rig and say your over the 14k….
Old 09-11-2022, 09:03 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
yes it’s a cartoon bear but the video is pretty interesting …..could this apply to a truck and fifth wheel combo? not sure if they could weigh the whole rig and say your over the 14k….

I have no doubt the intention of CA is to force their will on everyone in the country. I have my doubts about having out of state commercial truckers comply with their ridiculous emissions law as that would go straight to regulating interstate commerce which is illegal for them to do.

I think the bigger out for all of us RVers, if we have this kind of relationship with our rigs; as I heard, and then put to the test....talking to my rig it felt that all the talk about weight was hate speech, anti-RV and discriminatory - as the law allows now it wants to be identified as a Prius. Our loan identifies as a "student" loan and wants to be forgiven.

In real life I don't really worry about these things as ideological rulings will bite them, as they already are. They will back off when CA falls further into disarray. I have no intention of being there (or any other state with those kinds of laws) so don't expect any disruption to me and mine in this lifetime.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:34 AM   #9
travelin texans

I think this EV phase will pass in a couple years as infrastructure is a long ways from being able sustain all.of it for lots of years possibly requiring using more fossil to supply that power than is currently being you in the ICE vehicles.
I would be willing to buy a hybrid vehicle so as not t9 be so limited on miles traveled, but unless forced to do so WILL NEVER own an EV.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 11:03 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Back on track: a sales mgr that I worked for 5 years ago called wanting me to come to work for the dealership he’s at. We talked about how things are slowing down and he said it’s falling flat on its face.

Makes me glad I’m in collision repair, people still crash these things

Old 09-11-2022, 11:08 AM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Back on track: a sales mgr that I worked for 5 years ago called wanting me to come to work for the dealership he’s at. We talked about how things are slowing down and he said it’s falling flat on its face.

Makes me glad I’m in collision repair, people still crash these things
i had my roof sealed and inspected last week for the warranty forever ( yeah i could do it myself but it was only a little over $200) they also do the anode rod and leak check the propane supposedly…any way when i went there last year the lot was empty…this year it was packed deep with new rvs…i looked at a couple toyhaulers that were discounted to a decent price…the sales lady said the only thing that is really selling right now is motorized rvs
Old 09-11-2022, 12:05 PM   #12
jsb5717

I think most of us knew that the industry would eventually shift back towards a reasonable buyer's market where deeper discounts and incentives would become part of the buying process again. It will be interesting to observe the next few months and going into 2023. Fortunately for us we are not in the market. But if we were we would be waiting a little while longer and watching for the deals.

Sadly, just like the ebb and flow of the housing market, there are many who bought new rigs at the peak of the sales insanity and will be seeing bigger hits to their value.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:35 AM   #13
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
USED is usually automatically applied if vehicle has been previously titled.
Even if the vehicle was new and sold last week then brought back to dealer… no matter how many miles.
So you can see where this little loophole will work!

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:04 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I think this EV phase will pass in a couple years as infrastructure is a long ways from being able sustain all.
Not a political reply- current administration just announced major funding for EV charging stations in 35 states.

https://money.usnews.com/investing/n...arging-funding

Old 09-15-2022, 09:39 AM   #15
bsmith0404

There’s also a bill that just got pushed through, don’t know all the details, but it requires states to put 150 Kw charging staions every 50 miles on the highways. If they don’t comply they lose federal funding for roads. Several states out west are trying to get waivers saying it’s not practical or possible. NV, WY are two of the big ones fighting it. I don’t know how the electrical infrastructure can support that.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:55 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

This is not meant politically but it probably might sound like it. Just food for thought;

It doesn't matter if charging stations are mandated, and placed, every mile the infrastructure will not support it. As I've said previously, the ONLY way for that to happen in the next 50 years is for the government to infuse many, many trillions of taxpayer dollars into the electrical grid....and then what do we have? A government owned and controlled electrical grid?? Trying to pursue these things without being market controlled/driven doesn't have a positive no matter which way you go.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:02 AM   #17
jasin1

We have some chargers in Baltimore but apparently the charge cable is worth some scrap value
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D7CB2FD-CF93-4D36-B6BC-22CB6E98640B.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	41608  
Old 09-15-2022, 10:12 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
We have some chargers in Baltimore but apparently the charge cable is worth some scrap value

Probably so if it's copper; running about 3.62 a lb. looks like. I can remember when we got around a dime lb. for it. Even at those low prices - we had some trouble reports come in one evening and techs were dispatched. They found 2 open wire circuits (copper wire and a long time ago) just "gone". Stopped at one crossarm and was removed for approx. 2 miles. Best we and the sheriff's dept. could figure was that someone had some kind of tree trimmers and just reached up there, cut the wires then rolled it up. I wish I could have seen that as the copper wire had a mind of its own when trying to roll it up without mechanical assistance.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:16 AM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Probably so if it's copper; running about 3.62 a lb. looks like. I can remember when we got around a dime lb. for it. Even at those low prices - we had some trouble reports come in one evening and techs were dispatched. They found 2 open wire circuits (copper wire and a long time ago) just "gone". Stopped at one crossarm and was removed for approx. 2 miles. Best we and the sheriff's dept. could figure was that someone had some kind of tree trimmers and just reached up there, cut the wires then rolled it up. I wish I could have seen that as the copper wire had a mind of its own when trying to roll it up without mechanical assistance.
If they would only put that ingenuity to good use
Old 09-15-2022, 10:41 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This is not meant politically but it probably might sound like it. Just food for thought;

It doesn't matter if charging stations are mandated, and placed, every mile the infrastructure will not support it. As I've said previously, the ONLY way for that to happen in the next 50 years is for the government to infuse many, many trillions of taxpayer dollars into the electrical grid....and then what do we have? A government owned and controlled electrical grid?? Trying to pursue these things without being market controlled/driven doesn't have a positive no matter which way you go.
Like so many things they do they (politicians) don't understand the issue or think it thru. To me here's the real stumbling block no one is talking about, SPACE. If you look at the average fuel station on a busy interstate near a major city they may have a dozen pumps. I think about the Vince Lombardi rest stop near the meadowlands in N NJ. Those fuel pumps service thousands of vehicles per day. This is possible because it any takes a few minutes to replenish the fuel and continue on your journey.

Now envision charging that many vehicles per day. So each charging station may potentially be occupied by one vehicle for hours? So how many charging stations would that realistically take? 100? 1,000? How many acres of land will that require? Then the second part of that is what do you do with all those people for that time? You observe any busy rest stop and you'll see a steady stream of foot traffic into an out of the building. Add the large number of people "killing time" while their cars recharge and what are all those folks going to do?

I would think a large lot full of expensive cars likely containing expensive goodies that will set unattended for a long period of time would be a virtual playground for thieves. Looking at " the big picture" the incredible increase in electricity demand, the time and space demand, the ramifications for all the issues that all that brings to me just screams not ready yet!

Seems to me like the "big push" for EV's now is a classic case of "Ready, fire, aim". If you wonder why this is happening just follow the money. JMHO, YMMV.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote