Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2022, 07:57 AM   #21
meaz93*

Yeah.....Starbucks is "Saving The Planet" as well?; with those crappy paper thin straws-unbelievable.
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:05 AM   #22
travelin texans

We stayed in Brownsville TX several years ago & the city had banned all stores from using plastic bags, you either got paper or brought your own reusable bags.
Not sure how that worked during Covid as no where around here allowed the use of your reusable cloth/canvas bags.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:34 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
We stayed in Brownsville TX several years ago & the city had banned all stores from using plastic bags, you either got paper or brought your own reusable bags.
Not sure how that worked during Covid as no where around here allowed the use of your reusable cloth/canvas bags.
The "save the trees" by banning paper bags and require plastic bags was very short sighted. Landfills full of plastic bags, some recycling centers won't take them and they are DEADLY for animals when ingested. They will blow into fields and if a cow eats one while grazing it typically will block their digestive track causing death.

The tragic thing about that was the typical ignorance of the folks proclaiming to save the planet. The vast majority of the trees used for pulp papermills are planted trees that are harvested then planted back and not virgin woodlands.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:09 PM   #24
wiredgeorge

Finally, a solution!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solution.png
Views:	50
Size:	898.0 KB
ID:	41507  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:53 PM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Finally, a solution!
Told my neighbor with the Mach E Mustang he needed a Honda generator to haul in the frunk (front trunk) just in case.
But I guess in a few years that would banned in California.
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-11-2022, 07:25 AM   #26
Schell1

EV on order

I've put my ev on order. I look forward to using to go to work. Then come home and plug it in the garage. No more standing out at 10 degrees and 30 mile an hour winds. When i retire in a couple years plan to tow it behind the RV and plug it in at night.
It's not an agenda it's our new reality. How many buggy whip companies said those new nosey contraptions were a fad in 1901. How many are in business today.
Schell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:12 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schell1 View Post
I've put my ev on order. I look forward to using to go to work. Then come home and plug it in the garage. No more standing out at 10 degrees and 30 mile an hour winds. When i retire in a couple years plan to tow it behind the RV and plug it in at night.
It's not an agenda it's our new reality. How many buggy whip companies said those new nosey contraptions were a fad in 1901. How many are in business today.

Since you are right outside Austin I assume you have a fairly short commute to work, probably OK for an EV. Of course with a non EV and a garage not sure why you stand in 10 degree weather (every) around Austin and 30mph winds with it but not an EV? The garage won't work for both?

Plugging into the garage and recharging on your dime is one thing. Going to an RV park and plugging 2 vehicles into a ped to get "free" electrical charging for the EV will be frowned upon I suspect if you tell them up front. If you stay for a month or more and pay for electrical service you use that's one thing, to plug in overnite and try to get freebie electrical charging based on the overnite rates you will only raise the price of electric for the RV park which will then be passed onto all RVers that use the park in the form of higher prices. Had this happen at a hotel recently watching a guy in a Tesla trying to "mooch" recharging from their outside outlets and I complained = no plug in for Tesla...as it should be. If he wanted free charging he should have had a generator tucked inside his trunk.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:23 AM   #28
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Since you are right outside Austin I assume you have a fairly short commute to work, probably OK for an EV. Of course with a non EV and a garage not sure why you stand in 10 degree weather (every) around Austin and 30mph winds with it but not an EV? The garage won't work for both?

Plugging into the garage and recharging on your dime is one thing. Going to an RV park and plugging 2 vehicles into a ped to get "free" electrical charging for the EV will be frowned upon I suspect if you tell them up front. If you stay for a month or more and pay for electrical service you use that's one thing, to plug in overnite and try to get freebie electrical charging based on the overnite rates you will only raise the price of electric for the RV park which will then be passed onto all RVers that use the park in the form of higher prices. Had this happen at a hotel recently watching a guy in a Tesla trying to "mooch" recharging from their outside outlets and I complained = no plug in for Tesla...as it should be. If he wanted free charging he should have had a generator tucked inside his trunk.

i was reading a review for a campground in Maine where the people were mad because they were kicked out of the campground for charging their EV…if you give people an inch….
Old 09-11-2022, 09:50 AM   #29
jasin1

Quote:
how would you feel if you were forced/mandated to go back to horse and buggy’s?…we have the freedom to move around the country without limitations right now …back in the buggy whip days you had to rest your horse at night and your travel radius was much smaller… just seems like we are moving backwards as far as mobility and freedom is concerned.

what happens for instance if you have a hurricane in florida and the electric is out…how do you evacuate?…gas stations could have a generator to run the pumps but charging thousands of cars in a traffic jam won’t happen.

again i wouldn’t mind having a ev for daily driving around my house but i think it’s wrong to force people to give up mobility…much better to give tax incentives for evs and not ban all gas and diesel vehicles and you would make a lot more people willing to use them at least some of the time.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:10 AM   #30
Happycamper#1

Happycamper#1

All joking aside, has any of the car-truck makers come up with any replacement for ex a Chevy Silverado 1500? I hope they have been thinking about it.
Happycamper#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:20 AM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper#1 View Post
All joking aside, has any of the car-truck makers come up with any replacement for ex a Chevy Silverado 1500? I hope they have been thinking about it.
The Ford Lightening!
According the their advertising you can plug your rv into it while using an electric griddle on the tailgate.
It even "moved", they say towed, a million pound rail freight car a couple feet.
Greatest thing since sliced bread..........til the batteries dead!
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-11-2022, 10:27 AM   #32
Schell1

Ironic

I am back in Colorado. In your RV you never turn on your electric heater rather than burning the propane you paid for ? No sour grapes sourdough

QUOTE=sourdough;516227]Since you are right outside Austin I assume you have a fairly short commute to work, probably OK for an EV. Of course with a non EV and a garage not sure why you stand in 10 degree weather (every) around Austin and 30mph winds with it but not an EV? The garage won't work for both?

Plugging into the garage and recharging on your dime is one thing. Going to an RV park and plugging 2 vehicles into a ped to get "free" electrical charging for the EV will be frowned upon I suspect if you tell them up front. If you stay for a month or more and pay for electrical service you use that's one thing, to plug in overnite and try to get freebie electrical charging based on the overnite rates you will only raise the price of electric for the RV park which will then be passed onto all RVers that use the park in the form of higher prices. Had this happen at a hotel recently watching a guy in a Tesla trying to "mooch" recharging from their outside outlets and I complained = no plug in for Tesla...as it should be. If he wanted free charging he should have had a generator tucked inside his trunk.[/QUOTE]
Schell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:36 AM   #33
DAMILLER_SR

I'm fairly certain that nobody complaining about the California EV mandate has actually read what it says besides the headline. That's not to say that your points are wrong or ill conceived or anything along those lines, it just says that everything is more complex than just a headline. Starting with the fact that it doesn't kick in for about 12 or 13 years, where I believe a greater infrastructure will be in place.
I know in California it's already good enough to support, but not necessarily for cross country driving.
For the record, I'm going to admit I haven't read the entire thing yet, but being a resident I know a little more of the details than the average. It doesn't ban all gasoline vehicles, just passenger vehicles. And in 13 years, if the infrastructure isn't ready for it, there's nothing that says that we can't change our mind. That's why it's not a tomorrow rule.
I remember everybody laughed and complained about California when we banned cigarette smoking in restaurants and bars, stating that they are all going to go out of business. Funny how all of a sudden they started Prospering because people who couldn't stand cigarette smokes and had money started coming back. My point is that when the rules change, people will adapt. I believe that Porsche and Volvo have already announced that they will be all electric in about the next five or six years. Just my two cents.
Feel free to pile on������
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:38 AM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I am back in Colorado. In your RV you never turn on your electric heater rather than burning the propane you paid for ? No sour grapes sourdough

QUOTE=sourdough;516227]Since you are right outside Austin I assume you have a fairly short commute to work, probably OK for an EV. Of course with a non EV and a garage not sure why you stand in 10 degree weather (every) around Austin and 30mph winds with it but not an EV? The garage won't work for both?

[/QUOTE]

I don't follow your comment. Your RV, nor EV, is going to run without AC power, from something, for very long. LP isn't going to get you anywhere.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:46 AM   #35
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMILLER_SR View Post
I'm fairly certain that nobody complaining about the California EV mandate has actually read what it says besides the headline. That's not to say that your points are wrong or ill conceived or anything along those lines, it just says that everything is more complex than just a headline. Starting with the fact that it doesn't kick in for about 12 or 13 years, where I believe a greater infrastructure will be in place.
I know in California it's already good enough to support, but not necessarily for cross country driving.
For the record, I'm going to admit I haven't read the entire thing yet, but being a resident I know a little more of the details than the average. It doesn't ban all gasoline vehicles, just passenger vehicles. And in 13 years, if the infrastructure isn't ready for it, there's nothing that says that we can't change our mind. That's why it's not a tomorrow rule.
I remember everybody laughed and complained about California when we banned cigarette smoking in restaurants and bars, stating that they are all going to go out of business. Funny how all of a sudden they started Prospering because people who couldn't stand cigarette smokes and had money started coming back. My point is that when the rules change, people will adapt. I believe that Porsche and Volvo have already announced that they will be all electric in about the next five or six years. Just my two cents.

a better comparison would be if California banned all cigarette smoking everywhere…( i don’t smoke) .. in the name of the greater good…i suspect that those that try and keep gas vehicles will find that California will raise the tax on gas to make it cost prohibitive…similar to the tax on cigarettes…one of my employees told me what he pays for cigarette now and i was shocked
Old 09-11-2022, 10:48 AM   #36
DAMILLER_SR

I believe he is referring to the prior post where somebody will try to charge up their EV on the RV power post. However others are claiming that is stealing, even though they use the power post to power their electric heater inside of their RV, but that's my interpretation.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:50 AM   #37
jasin1

Quote:
I believe he is referring to the prior post where somebody will try to charge up their EV on the RV power post. However others are claiming that is stealing, even though they use the power post to power their electric heater inside of their RV, but that's my interpretation.
charging your Ev at a campground while simultaneously plugging in your rv is the equivalent of having two rvs occupy the same spot while only paying for one
Old 09-11-2022, 11:28 AM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I think you are missing some of the larger points. The law takes effect in approx. 3 years (2026). It reaches the maximum of 100% cars sold as electric in 12-13 years. As far as the CA infrastructure currently being able to support EVs...that would be wrong. They just finished, maybe still are, telling EV owners not to charge their cars. That's with a small percentage of folks owning them, what would the consequences be if everyone had and used them due to government mandate? We all know.

The biggest issue is infrastructure, not only in CA but across the country. That will require trillions in investments, or mandatory taxation, to build out. I say trillions because it will be an undertaking that boggles the mind if individuals are to be able to use an EV as they use gas powered vehicles today...which the EVs aren't evolved enough for that either, nor the charging etc. etc. Mandatory taxation to provide individuals with necessities like electricity for home/business use is one thing, as we did many years ago. It's quite another to strap a much larger financial burden on taxpayers to further build out the electrical infrastructure to expand an ideology. We have a cheaper, better and more advanced option already - gas powered vehicles.

The above comments are not meant politically but more as an observation on some societal views that some folks hold.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:24 AM   #39
wiredgeorge

Here is an interesting interview with the government leader regarding infrastructure needed to support the current EV goals:

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:57 AM   #40
DAMILLER_SR

That was pretty interesting, I appreciate you sharing it and I also appreciate that it was relatively short and not a hack piece on no way this ever worked. I think as I look at that video, you can take away from it what you want to see. I think some people will see that video and that exchange and say something like" it can never happen" and others will look at that video and see Pete adequately respond to every challenge.
Again, these are goals not mandates. If your goal is to make the federal government's Fleet all electric by 2030, and in 2028 you see it as an impossible feat, you move the deadline back as needed.
But no different than if you were training to run a marathon in 12 months and 10 months from now you find your you can only run 13 miles, then you may move the marathon completion date back six or seven months. But what you don't do is stop training and say obviously there's no way I can never do it, that's why it's written on paper so you can get an eraser and change things as realities kick in.
I can only imagine if there was this much pushback when somebody proposed spending 50 billion dollars on the interstate highway system, where we would be today, Probably still going town to town using undependable highways,
I love the future, except for the part where I get older.
I remember almost 40 years ago when I started my career in law enforcement and trying to tell people how much more efficient it was to do many things on a computer versus handwriting them, and my boss said we're not going to change the way we do business just because you're comfortable with a computer, nobody else in this department is. Within 7 years, if you couldn't use a computer, you couldn't work there anymore. That's not meant to be an all-encompassing statement, just anecdotal stuff from my point of view.