Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2022, 01:47 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

kinda funny / kinda ironic

The electric car ran out of its battery charge on U.S. 48. It stopped right in front of the Mettiki Coal access road in Tucker County.

The stranded driver was from out of town and workers from the coal mine were ready to help.

“Some days are just better than others,” Smith wrote on a Facebook post. “Today at our mine off Corridor H an electric car from D.C. ran out of battery at the road entrance to the mine.”

“Someone called one of our foremen and told him a car was broke down in the middle of our haul road,” Smith added. “He went to investigate and found out they had indeed ran out of juice coming from DC to Davis for a getaway weekend.”

The foreman from the mine wanted to tow the electric vehicle with a truck, but the EV was “all plastic underneath and nothing to hook up to.” So he went to the coal mine to get some workers to help push the car to the guard house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ev_out_of_juice.png
Views:	70
Size:	664.7 KB
ID:	41489  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:59 PM   #2
travelin texans

They'd better start adding tow hooks to the front & rear as that's going to an ongoing issue til they figure out that EVs are only good for commuter vehicles & not cross-country cruisers.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:36 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The electric car ran out of its battery charge on U.S. 48. It stopped right in front of the Mettiki Coal access road in Tucker County.

The stranded driver was from out of town and workers from the coal mine were ready to help.

“Some days are just better than others,” Smith wrote on a Facebook post. “Today at our mine off Corridor H an electric car from D.C. ran out of battery at the road entrance to the mine.”

“Someone called one of our foremen and told him a car was broke down in the middle of our haul road,” Smith added. “He went to investigate and found out they had indeed ran out of juice coming from DC to Davis for a getaway weekend.”

The foreman from the mine wanted to tow the electric vehicle with a truck, but the EV was “all plastic underneath and nothing to hook up to.” So he went to the coal mine to get some workers to help push the car to the guard house.

Push it into the grass off to the side then use that spare block of C4.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 03:15 PM   #4
retiredusps69

seeing cal. is banning gas powered motors for most anything now how does AAA wrecker have a genset. better have a huge genset powered by the truck, not a portable unit!!!!
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 02:56 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredusps69 View Post
seeing cal. is banning gas powered motors for most anything now how does AAA wrecker have a genset. better have a huge genset powered by the truck, not a portable unit!!!!
Ban is for the sale of NEW gas powered vehicles not all.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:40 AM   #6
dutchmensport

Someday, probably when it's too late, everyone will quit listening to the EV BS and wake up. It's kind of like other "hot topic" agendas ... If you want it, go ahead. But I don't appreciate one little bit anyone pushing their agenda on me! I abstain!
Old 09-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

David, Certainly didn't want to push any agenda. I just thought it was funny that some tourist in WV had their EV run out of juice in front of a coal mine and the miners pushed the EV to their office where they could charge. Since an agenda is out there pushing EV I thought it was really considerate of those guys considering that those that are pushing the EV agenda are trying to put the coal industry out of business.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:19 AM   #8
Canonman

Heard on the news today that CA is asking all EV users to wait until Off Peak hours to recharge. Gives some added credit for the need to upgrade the infrastructure to support the additional electrical demand brought on by adding EVs to the mix.
Personally, I think EVs have their place; grocery getter, commuter car, local errands etc. They are certainly not ready to replace internal combustion transportation vehicles on a mass scale. CA will make a good test bed (since I don't live or travel there) for large scale EV revolution. We'll all get to see what works, what doesn't and what changes really need to be made as this whole new transportation era plays out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4791.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	41492  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:40 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

The problem with CA EV mandates is it may extend to 17 other states as well. There are 17 states that agreeded to follow CA air emission standards many years ago. It will be interesting to see if they follow suite or file a suite to end the agreement. Time will tell.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 02:47 PM   #10
Canonman

There are several states looking to go down the same path according to the news reports I'm hearing. We can only hope they do a "wait and see" before they jump on this premature bandwagon. If Utah follows CA (I'm pretty sure they won't) I may have to move to TX and join up with George and Danny
Old 09-07-2022, 03:28 PM   #11
dutchmensport

Quote:
David, Certainly didn't want to push any agenda. ....
Sorry, maybe I was a big "gruff" here. I wasn't throwing stones at you at all. Actually, what you shared is quite hilarious to me. I'm referring to the EV industry in general, pushing folks.... probably like the sucker in the article who absolutely wasn't prepared or knowledgeable on the limitations of what that vehicle were. And I find it even more entertaining that because of fossil fuel, that person was rescued!
Old 09-07-2022, 03:43 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Sorry, maybe I was a big "gruff" here. I wasn't throwing stones at you at all. Actually, what you shared is quite hilarious to me. I'm referring to the EV industry in general, pushing folks.... probably like the sucker in the article who absolutely wasn't prepared or knowledgeable on the limitations of what that vehicle were. And I find it even more entertaining that because of fossil fuel, that person was rescued!

I think it is very ironic that those "in" fossil fuel bailed out the EV guy. If radicals don't slow down we will see that play out daily since we are not at all prepared for them; the grid, the product nor what to do with them when they become junk in 6 years. The article is funny for the same reason and if I had been one of those guys pushing the individual that owned it would have been wishing he was driving a gas vehicle for sure after all the ribbing I'd give him.
Old 09-07-2022, 03:51 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Perhaps the future is electric cars but we are no where near ready to support that infrastructure as has already been pointed out. At my age, I doubt whether I will see the day when it becomes feasible to rid the world of the nasty hydro-carbon spewing car/truck. China, Russia and India are the big polluters and I don't see them cleaning up anytime soon. Cali mandated 2035 as no more gas/diesel sales and all EV so what will happen to the many EV batteries that are not by then; they have a life span of less than 10 years as I understand it. Can they be recycled? We may sooner than later be faced with that dilemma.
https://theconversation.com/can-elec...ecycled-187397
Old 09-07-2022, 04:22 PM   #14
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
David, Certainly didn't want to push any agenda. I just thought it was funny that some tourist in WV had their EV run out of juice in front of a coal mine and the miners pushed the EV to their office where they could charge. Since an agenda is out there pushing EV I thought it was really considerate of those guys considering that those that are pushing the EV agenda are trying to put the coal industry out of business.
That's ridiculous George. Coal will be used, and mined, as long as we have steel. It is necessary in the production. EV cars are not about shutting coal mines.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:23 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Heard on the news today that CA is asking all EV users to wait until Off Peak hours to recharge. Gives some added credit for the need to upgrade the infrastructure to support the additional electrical demand brought on by adding EVs to the mix.
Personally, I think EVs have their place; grocery getter, commuter car, local errands etc. They are certainly not ready to replace internal combustion transportation vehicles on a mass scale. CA will make a good test bed (since I don't live or travel there) for large scale EV revolution. We'll all get to see what works, what doesn't and what changes really need to be made as this whole new transportation era plays out.
I got an alert on my phone from OES yesterday afternoon asking me to turn off all non life essential appliances to avoid blackouts.

Some lady said 2 weeks ago if we charged our EVs during the day when there was solar, the grid would be able to handle it…I wonder if she thought about wintertime. I don’t own an EV and have intentions of doing so.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:41 PM   #16
slow

kinda funny / kinda ironic

Those fellas who helped the stranded EV owner could probably relate to his situation since the majority of their equipment in the mine is most likely powered by batteries to avoid toxic fumes from internal combustion engines. Thereby lowering their ventilation costs.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:07 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Those fellas who helped the stranded EV owner could probably relate to his situation since the majority of their equipment in the mine is most likely powered by batteries to avoid toxic fumes from internal combustion engines. Thereby lowering their ventilation costs.

Mandated use of electric vehicles for all citizens, in normal life, is not anything like specialized vehicles as used in coal mining or any other specialized application...like a commuter car. I'm sure they would understand that.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:40 PM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
That's ridiculous George. Coal will be used, and mined, as long as we have steel. It is necessary in the production. EV cars are not about shutting coal mines.
By the same token as long as EVs are made with plastic, which there's a LOT in them, it shouldn't be about stopping the use other fossil fuels either.
Will California ban ALL plastics next?
So what's the point of EVs?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:35 AM   #19
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
By the same token as long as EVs are made with plastic, which there's a LOT in them, it shouldn't be about stopping the use other fossil fuels either.
Will California ban ALL plastics next?
So what's the point of EVs?
I think I remember they banned plastic straws in some equally 1/2 baked attempt to save the world.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:14 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I think I remember they banned plastic straws in some equally 1/2 baked attempt to save the world.
Still being used AFAIK.