Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 03:56 PM   #1
edeman

Stay with Load range D or can I use E

Hello everyone,
I have a 2017 Keystone Springdale 5th wheel SG253 about 10K or so weight.
Currently my tire size on the trailer are ST225/75R15 Load range D (65) and I need to purchase new tires. Would it be better to purchase Load Range E or stay with LR D.

Thank you.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:59 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Go with E. Just make sure your wheels are rated for 80 psi. They should be, but I’d verify.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:59 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Definitely LRE. LRD is kind of marginal for that heavy a 5ver. My camper is a bit lighter and I went from LRD to LRE Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST225/75R15. Got the best price at Walmart but I think Discount Tire will price match. My wheels are not marked for pressure rating and I have never heard of any wheel ever blowing up going up one load range. Also get metal valve stems and a TPMS system for some peace of mind. If you have Trailer King tires and the spare is a TK get rid of it as well. Tires age out at about 4 years.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 08-24-2022, 04:04 PM   #4
edeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Go with E. Just make sure your wheels are rated for 80 psi. They should be, but I’d verify.
Thank You.
How would I find out if the rim is rated for the E load range tire?
Old 08-24-2022, 04:10 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by edeman View Post
Thank You.
How would I find out if the rim is rated for the E load range tire?
Check the backside of the wheel. Many have them stamped with weight and psi rating. Some just have weight. You can also check manufacturers website.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:34 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Absolutely go with the LRE if the tires will support them which I suspect they will. As was mentioned the wheel may give max weight in lbs, max psi or both....or nothing. If you don't find it on the first just look to see if you have one that is stamped. Probably need to pull the wheel.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:17 PM   #7
NC Camper

No matter what tire you choose, follow the trailer manufacturer's load rating, even if the tire can handle more.

Running the tires at a pressure higher than needed will lead to a shorter tire life.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:38 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Camper View Post
No matter what tire you choose, follow the trailer manufacturer's load rating, even if the tire can handle more.

Running the tires at a pressure higher than needed will lead to a shorter tire life.
I completely disagree with your last statement. On my second set of Carlisle Radial Trail HD and went from D to E rating. Tires did and are wearing even. If you run an E rated tire at D rated pressure then what's the purpose of going up a rateing? It's the air pressure that supports the weight.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:44 PM   #9
NC Camper

We will agree to disagree on that one.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:54 PM   #10
edeman

The rim says max 2830 lbs. Trailer 10300 GVWR
Thanks
Old 08-24-2022, 05:58 PM   #11
CWtheMan

Your question is often mentioned in this forum. A LOT of different answers are provided with a few being “spot on”.

The information you ask for can be found in a Keystone Generic owner’s manual. The identification for the wheels and tires MUST be provided there by name, phone number and web address.

Wheel builders MUST provide name brand identification on the wheels. Once you find the proper identification you can look-up the OEM provider. Some OEM providers request the wheel builders to provide specifications on the individual wheel, probably on the back side or hidden on the inside. Their web site will list all wheels they provided and the specs for each brand and size. Wheel specs may be identified by wheel size and load capacity. Any PSI value needed to gain that load capacity is acceptable. Some providers will identify their wheel specs by load capacity and maximum PSI rating. That rating must assist in providing the maximum load capacity of the wheel.

Valve stem ratings are often overlooked. The wheel valve stem MUST be rated for the Maximum load capacity/PSI rating of the wheel. 65 PSI snap-in valve stems are very popular and may look identical to 80 PSI stems. Ensure the wheel installer provides the correct stem PSI rating for your wheels/tires. The USTMA recommends that all replacement valve stems for RV trailer wheels be metal bolt-in in design. For those using TPMS there are different lengths of metal bolt-in valve stems to make adaptability of TPMS easier.

Keystone provides a listing of owner’s manuals by year models on the web. Here is the address.

https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-manuals

Here is the current address for a popular Keystone OEM Provider. Click on wheels.

https://www.tredittire.com/
Old 08-24-2022, 06:51 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks

Excellent. Your wheels will support LRE tires. Having had a trailer that had a gvw of 10k and LRD tires weren't sufficient I can tell you from experience that you want to go with the LRE. Get a tire with a good track record; in that size I would go with Carlisle because that's what I did with good success. The Goodyear Endurance is another good option but is more costly.

There can be a lot of "dust" thrown up in this kind of conversation but in the end buy the LRE tires with metal valve stems, air them to 80psi, get a TPMS to monitor them and go be happy. Let the "dust" settle in the background.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:01 PM   #13
bsmith0404

Quote:
Thanks
A 2830 wheel matches up with an LRE tire. Should be rated for 80 psi. I’ve never seen one that wasn’t.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:03 PM   #14
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Excellent. Your wheels will support LRE tires. Having had a trailer that had a gvw of 10k and LRD tires weren't sufficient I can tell you from experience that you want to go with the LRE. Get a tire with a good track record; in that size I would go with Carlisle because that's what I did with good success. The Goodyear Endurance is another good option but is more costly.

There can be a lot of "dust" thrown up in this kind of conversation but in the end buy the LRE tires with metal valve stems, air them to 80psi, get a TPMS to monitor them and go be happy. Let the "dust" settle in the background.
Agree with everything here….except I buy Hartland tires from Discount. Nothing wrong with the Carlisle’s, I’ve used them in the past as well.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:25 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Agree with everything here….except I buy Hartland tires from Discount. Nothing wrong with the Carlisle’s, I’ve used them in the past as well.

I monitor the success of Hartland as I do Hercules and others. I have no personal experience with them so I build my "onsite profile" of tire info.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:30 PM   #16
travelin texans

Go with the Es & inflate to the 80psi. It's much worse, in my opinion, to run a rv tire under inflated than to air it up & possibly have a bit harsher ride, no one should in there to notice.
As Marshall stated if you don't inflate to the load carrying pressure on an upgraded tire why bother spending $$ on the upgrade.
Also was mentioned there's gonna be a lot of dust in tire discussions along with lengthy regulations quoted, just upgrade, inflate to the sidewall pressures & go enjoy your camping.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-25-2022, 05:08 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

The "key to success" in upgraded tires is to no longer rely on the tire size/max load/pressure information that's posted on the trailer.... That's sort of like changing from a half ton truck to a 1 ton truck and relying on the payload for the "half ton".... Sure, the trailer is the "same weight" but the tires are a different model than what is on the sticker, so the sticker on the trailer no longer applies.

As Danny stated, "inflate the tires to the "tire sidewall maximum pressure" to obtain the maximum load capacity, which is the reason you bought LRE tires to upgrade from the LRD tires....

Sort of like buying bacon, eggs and biscuits, but still only eating frosted flakes, because that was what's in the cupboard.... On your tires, use the specifications for the NEW TIRES, not the specifications for the "removed tires"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-25-2022, 05:23 AM   #18
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "key to success" in upgraded tires is to no longer rely on the tire size/max load/pressure information that's posted on the trailer.... That's sort of like changing from a half ton truck to a 1 ton truck and relying on the payload for the "half ton".... Sure, the trailer is the "same weight" but the tires are a different model than what is on the sticker, so the sticker on the trailer no longer applies.

As Danny stated, "inflate the tires to the "tire sidewall maximum pressure" to obtain the maximum load capacity, which is the reason you bought LRE tires to upgrade from the LRD tires....

Sort of like buying bacon, eggs and biscuits, but still only eating frosted flakes, because that was what's in the cupboard.... On your tires, use the specifications for the NEW TIRES, not the specifications for the "removed tires"...
The "sticker" on the trailer is always valid as long as the tires are the same designated size.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:25 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The "sticker" on the trailer is always valid as long as the tires are the same designated size.
I believe that is what John was attempting to convey. If the guy goes from LRD to LRE, the pressure on the sidewall of the trailer (80PSI) will be the pressure that the OP will want to maintain to take advantage of the E load range.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 08-25-2022, 05:57 AM   #20
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I believe that is what John was attempting to convey. If the guy goes from LRD to LRE, the pressure on the sidewall of the trailer (80PSI) will be the pressure that the OP will want to maintain to take advantage of the E load range.
Load range is not part of a tire's designated size. When adding replacement tires of the same designated size as the OEM tires that have higher load ranges may be optional. There is nothing in the standards/regulations that requires the consumer to take advantage of the extra load capacity the higher load range tires can provide via inflation pressures above what has been set for the OE tires.

OEM wheel/tire providers are not required to use wheels or valve stems that provide more load capacity/inflation pressures than what was set by the vehicle manufacturer. That adds a "buyer beware" warning to ensure the higher load ranged tires can be supported by the vehicle manufacturers certifications should the consumer want to take advantage of the option to use higher inflation pressures to gain tire load capacity reserves.
Closed Thread