Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2022, 07:54 PM   #1
gearhead

Next summer

Lookin for somewhere cooler than Texas to spend 4-8 weeks next summer. I’ve looked in Hell, but it’s a long term deal.
I’m kicking around Ruidoso NM. I’ve checked on Campgroundreviews.Com but nothing looks appealing. Most are either right on the highway or way off in the boonies.
Any recommendations?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:32 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Funny but I was looking for a place to head NOW as I'm tired of hot weather. I talked to Twin Spruce in Ruidoso and they seemed accommodating. I don't know that you have a lot of "nice" choices there. You can move on out on 70? toward Roswell but might as well stay in the hot stuff. Realize that Ruidoso is about 7600' and it can get warm (for there), highs might get into the middle 80s on a very warm day. Holidays are very hectic and weekends in the summer are "busy". I'm spending a few days at a hotel in Alamogordo so I can bounce back and forth between Ruidoso and Cloudcroft revisiting all our old haunts. In a nutshell Ruidoso is OK, Cloudcroft is better but neither have RV places worth a hoot, and, they will be nothing compared to Pagosa and that area of CO for scenery, water, fishing etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:49 PM   #3
bsmith0404

I don’t really care for most of the parks in Ruidoso. I prefer to stay in. Cloudcroft and drive over if there’s something I want to do there. They have horse races every Fri-Sun that we enjoy. In Cloudcroft, I like 16 springs, it’s back in the woods off the main road and very quiet. A lot of trails back there wheee we take the RZR. If you want something more open, but very clean with nice level sites, Deer Springs would be my choice.

Pagosa Springs in CO is nice as well. My favorite spot up there is Sportsman’s Campground, but the sites that can fit a 40’ 5th wheel are limited.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:09 AM   #4
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Funny but I was looking for a place to head NOW as I'm tired of hot weather. I talked to Twin Spruce in Ruidoso and they seemed accommodating. I don't know that you have a lot of "nice" choices there. You can move on out on 70? toward Roswell but might as well stay in the hot stuff. Realize that Ruidoso is about 7600' and it can get warm (for there), highs might get into the middle 80s on a very warm day. Holidays are very hectic and weekends in the summer are "busy". I'm spending a few days at a hotel in Alamogordo so I can bounce back and forth between Ruidoso and Cloudcroft revisiting all our old haunts. In a nutshell Ruidoso is OK, Cloudcroft is better but neither have RV places worth a hoot, and, they will be nothing compared to Pagosa and that area of CO for scenery, water, fishing etc.
I’ll look at Cloudcroft.
Mid 80’s isn’t bad for a couple hours if the nights cool off. What I don’t want: a dusty dirty rv park in the scrub brush, next to a highway, with a wino living in an old rotten trailer next door. I would like: quiet, big trees, elbow room, good weather.
I seem to find myself thinking: well, driving 2 more hours could get me to xxxx. Heck I should just drive on to Montana.
Last night I found myself looking at Up the Creek RV Camping in the Smokies. About the same driving time to Pagosa. If I had to decide right now that’s what I would do.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:35 AM   #5
dutchmensport

How far are you willing to travel? Maybe head on north to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Upper Michigan, North Dakota, or Montana?
Old 08-24-2022, 05:57 AM   #6
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
How far are you willing to travel? Maybe head on north to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Upper Michigan, North Dakota, or Montana?
That was the plan last year, I just didn’t make it happen. Also thought of travelling up the Mississippi River and using COE parks on the way to somewhere in Minnesota.
I surprised myself in that I like the Midwest, what I’ve seen of it. We’ve been to Iowa 3 times, Illinois twice. If I had a beach house down here I would consider spending the summer in Pella Iowa and winters here.
If it’s easy driving and I can break it up with 2 or 3 days of a break, I’m ok driving to Canada. Rather not, but…
Old 08-24-2022, 06:01 AM   #7
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I don’t really care for most of the parks in Ruidoso. I prefer to stay in. Cloudcroft and drive over if there’s something I want to do there. They have horse races every Fri-Sun that we enjoy. In Cloudcroft, I like 16 springs, it’s back in the woods off the main road and very quiet. A lot of trails back there wheee we take the RZR. If you want something more open, but very clean with nice level sites, Deer Springs would be my choice.

Pagosa Springs in CO is nice as well. My favorite spot up there is Sportsman’s Campground, but the sites that can fit a 40’ 5th wheel are limited.
Yeah I don’t think I could wedge the Landmark in at Sportsman’s. I’ve looked long and hard at it though.
We used go there back in the 70’s and 80’s to take our 1 shower when elk hunting. The road was gravel from the condo’s north. I think most of is paved now.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:43 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Yeah I don’t think I could wedge the Landmark in at Sportsman’s. I’ve looked long and hard at it though.
We used go there back in the 70’s and 80’s to take our 1 shower when elk hunting. The road was gravel from the condo’s north. I think most of is paved now.

The last time I was at Pagosa (2 years?) the road to Sportsman's wasn't paved past the cattle guard as you enter the NFS land. However that road is like a highway anymore. It is kept flat and a good portion of it gets "oiled" or something to make it sort of like a paved road. Some people drive that thing at 55mph and they minimize the holes, dust and rocks so it's not bad. It is tight at Sportsman's though.

I may have mentioned it before but have you thought about Creede, CO? One of my more favorite places. Lots of things to do but a long way from most anything. Not a lot in Creede as far as groceries but it's a pretty drive, and not too far, to South Fork and their grocery store. I just watched the linked video and think I'll book a week or so next summer when we head out for the northeast.

https://mountainviewsrv.com/
Old 08-24-2022, 08:02 AM   #9
Canonman

Gotta agree with the southern Colorado mountains idea. We have traveled there several time and it never disappoints. As mentioned Creede is a very interesting place especially if you're into mining history. I didn't know it's so close to the headwaters of the Rio Grande! Rio Grande Reservoir has some really nice camping and some pretty good trout fishing. Take a look at 30 mile Campground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5643.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	41368  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:29 AM   #10
P & T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Gotta agree with the southern Colorado mountains idea. We have traveled there several time and it never disappoints. As mentioned Creede is a very interesting place especially if you're into mining history. I didn't know it's so close to the headwaters of the Rio Grande! Rio Grande Reservoir has some really nice camping and some pretty good trout fishing. Take a look at 30 mile Campground.
I've been eyeing Creede for a while but my wife has issues with extended stays in high elevation...I think it's 8,700'.

Might have to plan a trip with my son just to experience it.
NV is home but SD is where I'll be.
P & T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:28 AM   #11
roadglide

I was thinking of Ruidoso myself and expect it will be hard to find any place to camp during the summer. Last year we stayed a week in July at story Lake near las Vegas NM few miles . It’s an older state park anyway the weather was excellent.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:52 AM   #12
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by P & T View Post
I've been eyeing Creede for a while but my wife has issues with extended stays in high elevation...I think it's 8,700'.

Might have to plan a trip with my son just to experience it.
Yeah my wife has issues with out of the way places. Like, where are the Mexican restaurants, or any restaurant.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:00 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah my wife has issues with out of the way places. Like, where are the Mexican restaurants, or any restaurant.

Brent here's a link to all the fine dining in Creede. Note there's a Kips there, same as the one in Pagosa, just not as busy (smaller town) so there's some tacos for the wife . They will be different than what you're used to in TX. You could run into town and catch a play at the theater as well to kind of polish up that "city slicker" side....

https://www.creede.com/local-businesses/dining-spirits
Old 08-24-2022, 03:11 PM   #14
gearhead

Quote:
Brent here's a link to all the fine dining in Creede. Note there's a Kips there, same as the one in Pagosa, just not as busy (smaller town) so there's some tacos for the wife . They will be different than what you're used to in TX. You could run into town and catch a play at the theater as well to kind of polish up that "city slicker" side....

https://www.creede.com/local-businesses/dining-spirits
Excellent Danny. Maybe I just thought we’ve been to Creede. I just asked Betty, she said yes, in the motor home in the 1980’s. All I remember was rv parks along the highway and river.
I’ll get to packing my fly rods and my tuxedo for those opening nights at the theatre.
Looks good.
Thanks.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:46 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Excellent Danny. Maybe I just thought we’ve been to Creede. I just asked Betty, she said yes, in the motor home in the 1980’s. All I remember was rv parks along the highway and river.
I’ll get to packing my fly rods and my tuxedo for those opening nights at the theatre.
Looks good.
Thanks.
]

Great! Don't know about that tux though. Figure you might be a little more "at home" if you just wear your fishing gear.....just leave the creel and waders at the RV....
Old 08-24-2022, 03:58 PM   #16
bsmith0404

Quote:
We took the Alpine there, had a site near the cabins that it fit very easily. Only issue was going around the far end when we were leaving. Some of the tree branches should have been cut back a bit more. Had some scratches on the FBP that I had to buff out. There were some people in other sites with big 5ers, Montana and Big Horn, looked too tight for my taste. Love the area though. I think you’d like 16 springs in Cloudcroft. Definitely big trees and off the main road. Only issue I had there, I wish the area was a little more level. The sites are level, but it’s built into a hillside over looking a valley so the areas around the site for tables and chairs tends to slope down hill.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:31 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
We took the Alpine there, had a site near the cabins that it fit very easily. Only issue was going around the far end when we were leaving. Some of the tree branches should have been cut back a bit more. Had some scratches on the FBP that I had to buff out. There were some people in other sites with big 5ers, Montana and Big Horn, looked too tight for my taste. Love the area though. I think you’d like 16 springs in Cloudcroft. Definitely big trees and off the main road. Only issue I had there, I wish the area was a little more level. The sites are level, but it’s built into a hillside over looking a valley so the areas around the site for tables and chairs tends to slope down hill.

I haven't been back into 16 springs for about 3-4 years but have they done anything with that road? It's quite a ways back there and that road tried to beat us to death in my SUV so I can't imagine 80psi truck tires.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:45 PM   #18
bsmith0404

It probably hasn’t changed much. Partly paved, part gravel. They grade it, but it still gets some wash boarding from time to time. How bad it is depends on when you happen to hit it. The parts that seem to get the worse are on the uphill curves. Wasn’t bad pulling the rv because we’re going slow.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:19 PM   #19
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Dang that’s a hunting camp. Talk about out there. I’ve been in the general area from the south. Rode up with a packer to Popes Nose. Rode back down to the trailhead in the dark. Never so saddle sore in my life.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:26 PM   #20
gearhead

Quote:
The last time I was at Pagosa (2 years?) the road to Sportsman's wasn't paved past the cattle guard as you enter the NFS land. However that road is like a highway anymore. It is kept flat and a good portion of it gets "oiled" or something to make it sort of like a paved road. Some people drive that thing at 55mph and they minimize the holes, dust and rocks so it's not bad. It is tight at Sportsman's though.

I may have mentioned it before but have you thought about Creede, CO? One of my more favorite places. Lots of things to do but a long way from most anything. Not a lot in Creede as far as groceries but it's a pretty drive, and not too far, to South Fork and their grocery store. I just watched the linked video and think I'll book a week or so next summer when we head out for the northeast.

https://mountainviewsrv.com/
Danny have you stayed at Mountainview? It looks pretty barren.
Think I’ll call Sportsman’s next week.