Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2022, 04:46 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

What to do in the NE??

DW and I spent the afternoon talking (while I was driving) about how we could finally manage to get to the NE, stop in PA to see her family and sample life there. My primary goal is to see beautiful country and EAT. I intend to spend a few weeks in MA just to explore and eat lobsters - and anything else that looks good. Many have been commenting recently on the wonderful seafood available "up there" with pics etc. It prompted me to advise DW next year is the year.

I've never been to the NE. I'm a southern desert rat guy that should have been blessed with some water....and gills, but alas those were not to be. My reasons for the thread are multiple;

I intend to swing up and hit PA (Erie, Oil City, Centerville etc.) then go to up state NY along Lake Ontario? coast where DW's aunt lives then head on up. I have no use for big cities or large crowds of people. Once I head over to the coast (I love coast lines, the Atlantic, the food) what would be some great don't miss spots for not only fresh seafood but historical or scenic places (I love American history)? The food and the scenery on some of the pics that have been posted made me tell DW it's time....we're not getting any younger and that trip is probably about at the top of what's remaining in my bucket list. We should have plenty of time, I told her we'll plan 3 mos. before heading to FL. Looking forward to any input and ideas....I'm getting my list together! Thanks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:57 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Many possibilities. When you get closer to planning out routes and time of year I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions. There are some great "must sees" that's for sure. Any Idea how far south down the east coast you want to venture?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:03 PM   #3
jasin1

i’m heading for maine on Saturday..one night in massachusetts then Rockland Maine…gonna go up to acadia national park for a day. Camden Maine has the largest schooner fleet and you can do day trips or week long cruises.
we plan on going out for a day .

we have camped on Cape Cod and like that alot…can take a ferry to martha’s vineyard
we like Gloucester Massachusetts also. been there a couple of times..upstate New York has Watkins Glen state park …really liked that place and the finger lakes in general.

Newport RI is nice…Cape May NJ ..also very nice

if you get a little farther south then we like Delaware Seashore park …it’s our go to local campground…you have Bethany beach,Lewes De and ocean city MD all within a half hour drive for the park…Rock Hall Md is a favorite place for us to boat to ..they have a campground close as well

we like little towns..seaside preferably…old book stores and dusty old antique shops that have been there for years and years and nice little restaurants
Old 08-17-2022, 05:38 PM   #4
fjr vfr

If you like history don't miss fort Ticonderoga and fort William Henry at Lake George. The Adirondacks are and outdoorsman's paradise.
Arcadia NP in Maine is also a must see. Cape Cod is another must see. We like it out by Wellfleet.
The sea food is the best...fried haddock, fish and chips and fried clams washed down with a frap. Fish and chips and haddock in NE are the same as England...much better than anywhere else in the states. The clams have the big bellies....not strips. Eat with tartar sauce. You will love it.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:45 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks y'all. I misspoke in the original post, that should have been ME and not MA. We have good friends in ME that have offered to put us up with the RV but I just don't like to intrude. A very good friend in MA tells me tales of digging clams and having lots of fun....a bit different than noodling for catfish or carp.

To clarify my plan is to leave TX somewhere around July/August. I want to be able to avail ourselves of some of the better times for not only sampling the food but sightseeing weather. We will then just work our way down the E coast arriving in FL on Nov. 1 2023. Our schedule is flexible and time is of no consequence (except DW gets tired of the RV). We've been to SC and NC. Liked the outer banks (Emerald Coast?), not too impressed with Hilton Head (first place I cooked wahoo), liked New Bern and I can't remember the rest.

Anyway figured since we've finally come to a meeting of the minds now is not too far out to try to plan for next summer. Nice RV park recommendations would be nice as well. I know this is so open ended that it's hard to even try to recommend anything. This is unplanned other than the overall "scope" and basic "want to's" I mentioned. After that we really have no idea other than the rough idea of where we will be traveling. Once leaving upper NY and heading into the NE we have no idea - your suggestions will form the route. I have had a mindset of sitting in Bar Harbor (why I don't know) and eating lobster until I popped...and I will. After reading the posts and seeing the pics of Chesapeake Bay...I need to be there too.

So, the ignorant, wishful thinking/wondering of a guy that's going to head "into the blue" looking for some guidance. The route is not set and we don't care. I don't want to drive back roads with 11' underpasses (we just don't have that anywhere I go). All thoughts are more than appreciated and are logged right here on my 8x11 notebook...I'm pretty "retro".
Old 08-17-2022, 05:57 PM   #6
jasin1

sounds like a wonderful trip!…i look forward to when i can travel for more then a week or two at a time…we plan on cooking our own lobsters most of the time while in ME at the campground..i could eat lobster every day for a week and not get tired of it…the place we are staying is right on penobscot bay … wooded sights and rocky shore line and they also have a weekly lobster bake….you will enjoy the trip
Old 08-17-2022, 06:23 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Have you been to Niagra Falls? If your around Buffalo you have to visit the Anchor Bar ( home of Buffalo Wings) and look up "Beef on a weck", great sandwich out by the airport. In Syracuse or Rochester go to Dinasour BBQ, I prefer the one in Syracuse myself. DW and I love Boothbay Harbor ME and I can't give any food recommendations in Boston post Covid as we haven't been back up since.

The DELMARVA peninsula is a treasure trove of small towns, freindly people, and great food. There's just too much to list here. If you go to Rt 1 south in DE go south to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnels. It's quite the scenic drive. Cross the bay and see Williamsburg, VA. If you like Naval aviation and warfare the tidewater area (Norfolk, Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach are has everything from hover craft base to Oceana Naval Air Station to aircraft carriers.

Ony 3 months? You might cram most of it in.....

History? From the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, French & Indian War, to the Civil War it's everywhere.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:45 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Have you been to Niagra Falls? If your around Buffalo you have to visit the Anchor Bar ( home of Buffalo Wings) and look up "Beef on a weck", great sandwich out by the airport. In Syracuse or Rochester go to Dinasour BBQ, I prefer the one in Syracuse myself. DW and I love Boothbay Harbor ME and I can't give any food recommendations in Boston post Covid as we haven't been back up since.

The DELMARVA peninsula is a treasure trove of small towns, freindly people, and great food. There's just too much to list here. If you go to Rt 1 south in DE go south to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnels. It's quite the scenic drive. Cross the bay and see Williamsburg, VA. If you like Naval aviation and warfare the tidewater area (Norfolk, Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach are has everything from hover craft base to Oceana Naval Air Station to aircraft carriers.

Ony 3 months? You might cram most of it in.....

History? From the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, French & Indian War, to the Civil War it's everywhere.

Yes I know. I'm figuring it will be our last chance (maybe not) to see/be in those historic, often dreamed about, places that we were built from. I love the Southern U.S. but want to venture "up north" to just fulfill that dream. We have no worries about anything other than breaking out of my closed mind thinking that keeps me in the lower/mid U.S. After the NE trip the year after I will be in the Dakotas, maybe Yellowstone (again but hate the crowds). DW's family came to us multiple times to visit, and they were wonderful people. Invited me back there over and over, offered me land...anything to be a part of the family...Lots of "stuff" as one tries to mull over those things. We will go back; we want it to be fun and happy. Knowing the folks on this forum I have no doubt there will be many, many ideas and thoughts so I can start my planning/reservation process. Thanks to everyone.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:29 AM   #9
spade117

I concur regarding Dinosaur BBQ.

I think there are multiple places that have much tastier chicken wings, but Anchor bar is touted as the original.

Garbage plates are another item that is from the Rochester area. The original is in the city and the name is trademarked, but again, almost every restaurant around has created their own with other names, but usually if you just order a "hot dog plate" or "cheeseburger plate", they will know.

There are multiple state parks along Lake Ontario, but not many have full hook ups. There are some private ones as well and their details can be found here: https://www.campnewyork.com/cony/

The Adirondacks are pretty awesome as someone said, but I believe the better parks are the state run ones, but almost none of the campgrounds up there have even electric hook ups. Obviously, water fill and dump stations are available, but it doesn't sound like that is your preferred style of camping.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:13 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yes I know. I'm figuring it will be our last chance (maybe not) to see/be in those historic, often dreamed about, places that we were built from. I love the Southern U.S. but want to venture "up north" to just fulfill that dream. We have no worries about anything other than breaking out of my closed mind thinking that keeps me in the lower/mid U.S. After the NE trip the year after I will be in the Dakotas, maybe Yellowstone (again but hate the crowds). DW's family came to us multiple times to visit, and they were wonderful people. Invited me back there over and over, offered me land...anything to be a part of the family...Lots of "stuff" as one tries to mull over those things. We will go back; we want it to be fun and happy. Knowing the folks on this forum I have no doubt there will be many, many ideas and thoughts so I can start my planning/reservation process. Thanks to everyone.
I hear ya re: crowds. I dislike them as well but what can you do. We try to visit places "off season" when kids are in school and you have to realize that by being there you are part of the crowd.

With upstate NY there's a lot of history there as that's the epicenter of the French/Indian War and where Gen. Washington learned some hard lessons in tactics. As mentioned Watkins Glen is fantastic and in Hammondsport the Glen H. Curtiss Museum has some great examples of early outboard engines, boats and how he went from boats to aeroplanes. The finger lakes of course are another natural treasure in and of themselves.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:01 AM   #11
gearhead

We are of the same mind. I can’t seem to get north of the Virginia/Maryland area. We have been to Gettysburg and I made a short trip to central Pennsylvania on a wild goose chase fishing trip.
Betty has ancestors from the Poughkeepsie NY area and she wants visit that area. There is a KOA in nearby Newburg NY that has a stop for a tour bus to New York City.
I want to see New England and the coast.
Finding decent rv parks with hook ups seems to be a challenge.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:38 AM   #12
Outbackman57

Be the first to see the sun rise in Eastern Maine! Rockland is where the Lobster Fest takes place I think? Nothing like New England seafood. The mountains in northwest NJ, down past the Shore Points on Rt. 9, only problem with VA Beach area is traffic from military bases and in general but I guess that’s everywhere. We sometimes used 301 from Delaware to Richmond, avoiding the DC Beltway. Used to fly out of New Bern, lived near Moorehead City on NC coast, right near Cherry Point. Then down thru Myrtle and Jekyll Island into Fernandina Beach. If you get to Daytona give a shout. Lunch on me. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

John Santy
‘06 Kargoroo 28KRS
‘20 F-150 XLT
‘00 FLHRCI
‘21 Royal Enfield Himalayan
Outbackman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:03 AM   #13
dutchmensport

I was stationed at Fort Devens, MA (Army) in 1983-1984, which is at Ayer, MA. Fort Devens is no longer a military post. While there, I used every opportunity to travel that part of the country. Not knowing your proposed itinerary, here are some of the locations I traveled that were simply great! (including the food).

Cape Code, Mass. Yea, that's an interesting drive all the way out there. Salem, Mass. A "bunk mate" of mine was from there. He took me to his parents house several times and showed me areas of Salem tourists never bother to see. VERY interesting.

Bennington, Vermont. This entire town is charming, as is the country side. Again, another "bunk mate" in my barracks was originally from there. I went to his parents house several times. There's a college there, so it's basically a college town, but it sure has some interesting and beautiful scenery and histroy.

Glouchester, MA. Drive the coast line and you'll see the statue that the Morton Salt label used as their logo. That is a real interesting area. Lots of fishing boats, lots of sea food.

Townshend State Park, Vermont. Absolutely beautiful state park.

Oh, the list goes on and on. Lots to see and do and explore and eat!

Others will chime in.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:48 AM   #14
Gkri

Quote:
DW and I spent the afternoon talking (while I was driving) about how we could finally manage to get to the NE, stop in PA to see her family and sample life there. My primary goal is to see beautiful country and EAT. I intend to spend a few weeks in MA just to explore and eat lobsters - and anything else that looks good. Many have been commenting recently on the wonderful seafood available "up there" with pics etc. It prompted me to advise DW next year is the year.

I've never been to the NE. I'm a southern desert rat guy that should have been blessed with some water....and gills, but alas those were not to be. My reasons for the thread are multiple;

I intend to swing up and hit PA (Erie, Oil City, Centerville etc.) then go to up state NY along Lake Ontario? coast where DW's aunt lives then head on up. I have no use for big cities or large crowds of people. Once I head over to the coast (I love coast lines, the Atlantic, the food) what would be some great don't miss spots for not only fresh seafood but historical or scenic places (I love American history)? The food and the scenery on some of the pics that have been posted made me tell DW it's time....we're not getting any younger and that trip is probably about at the top of what's remaining in my bucket list. We should have plenty of time, I told her we'll plan 3 mos. before heading to FL. Looking forward to any input and ideas....I'm getting my list together! Thanks.
As John Santy mentioned, Rockland, ME is a must see. Several local restaurants serve whole lobsters (think giant mud bugs). If you enjoy art, the Farnsworth Art Museum has exhibits from painters such as N.C, Andrew and Jamie Wyeth, famous American painters and illustrators. If you see a food truck in a gas station selling lobster rolls, go for it!
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:36 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Many possibilities. When you get closer to planning out routes and time of year I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions. There are some great "must sees" that's for sure. Any Idea how far south down the east coast you want to venture?
We will incorporate the last leg as we head to our FL wintering spot S of Tallahassee. I've seen quite a bit of the E coast in the Carolinas, GA etc. but will spend a bit of time there as we work our way back. The bulk of our time we intend to spend from VA to the N.

I would prefer to travel in the shoulder seasons when kids are in school and crowds are down but it will be hard to do being limited by returning to FL in October. Plus, and others will know this I'm sure, I was told by a guy from this part of the country (not NE) that he was told (I know) when he went to ME in June a couple years back that he was there at about the best time for lobster....I don't have any idea. Getting my folder together and got a Garmin RV GPS sitting waiting for me to hit the order button.

Of course you would know that DS called this morning and advised he has prostate cancer and they can't/won't operate on him due to severe heart damage so we'll have to see how that plays out. I'm still going to make my plans though.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:38 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I was stationed at Fort Devens, MA (Army) in 1983-1984, which is at Ayer, MA. Fort Devens is no longer a military post. While there, I used every opportunity to travel that part of the country. Not knowing your proposed itinerary, here are some of the locations I traveled that were simply great! (including the food).

Cape Code, Mass. Yea, that's an interesting drive all the way out there. Salem, Mass. A "bunk mate" of mine was from there. He took me to his parents house several times and showed me areas of Salem tourists never bother to see. VERY interesting.

Bennington, Vermont. This entire town is charming, as is the country side. Again, another "bunk mate" in my barracks was originally from there. I went to his parents house several times. There's a college there, so it's basically a college town, but it sure has some interesting and beautiful scenery and histroy.

Glouchester, MA. Drive the coast line and you'll see the statue that the Morton Salt label used as their logo. That is a real interesting area. Lots of fishing boats, lots of sea food.

Townshend State Park, Vermont. Absolutely beautiful state park.

Oh, the list goes on and on. Lots to see and do and explore and eat!

Others will chime in.

Thanks to everyone offering suggestions. I know it's difficult since I didn't give a proposed route but I'm going to use the suggestions to determine the route. The only point I think I know is to end up somewhere in the vicinity of Bar Harbor ME. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:43 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
We will incorporate the last leg as we head to our FL wintering spot S of Tallahassee. I've seen quite a bit of the E coast in the Carolinas, GA etc. but will spend a bit of time there as we work our way back. The bulk of our time we intend to spend from VA to the N.

I would prefer to travel in the shoulder seasons when kids are in school and crowds are down but it will be hard to do being limited by returning to FL in October. Plus, and others will know this I'm sure, I was told by a guy from this part of the country (not NE) that he was told (I know) when he went to ME in June a couple years back that he was there at about the best time for lobster....I don't have any idea. Getting my folder together and got a Garmin RV GPS sitting waiting for me to hit the order button.

Of course you would know that DS called this morning and advised he has prostate cancer and they can't/won't operate on him due to severe heart damage so we'll have to see how that plays out. I'm still going to make my plans though.
Sorry to hear about your son. We found out 2 days ago that a dear freind of ours passed from brain cancer. She was the same age as my DW and was diagnosed in Feb with stage 4. Prayers for your you and yours.
Old 08-21-2022, 03:58 AM   #18
hondapro87

As you travel north into Pa the flight 93 national memorial is a nice place to visit. Virginias beach campground is near Erie Pa. The campground overlooks the lake. They have W/E/S sites. It is a" no frills" campground but the sunsets on the lake are amazing.
hondapro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:38 AM   #19
jasin1

just got back from a trip to Maine…stayed in Rockport then up to Bar Harbor… Maine is a favorite now for us …nice and cool last week in the mornings and evenings and comfortable during the day…had to turn on electric fireplace in the morning a couple of days ..
McLoons lobster shack in Thomaston ( just below Rockland) has delicious lobster rolls stuffed with big chunks of meat. homemade lobster and clam chowder and deserts….just a little shack overlooking the workboats and working docks

Rockport was small but nice …Camden was our favorite little town and almost every harbor looks like a movie set for a quaint New England town…all were filled with boats on mooring balls …did a schooner sail out of Camden

Acadia was awesome ..hiked all over and did the beehive trail …unbelievable views..drove up Cadillac mountain..

shuttle bus service hits all of the campgrounds in Bar Harbor and it’s free…although the end of august they scale back the drivers so it takes a little longer..

downtown Bar Harbor was a little too touristy for me but we spent time there…they have parking for rvs on the edge of town and paid parking all around..Downtown Bar Harbor is somewhat expensive to eat so i’d suggest the little places around town if you want lobster

The Happy Clam Shack on hwy 3 on the outskirts was our favorite..big tanks of different size lobsters and they cook them while you wait…corn on the cob in the husk and homemade blueberry pie on picnic tables…really popular place for locals too.

i’d recommend Maine wholeheartedly…roads were good,the little towns were our favorite and the weather is great…no mosquitoes in rockport,rockland but did have quite a bit in our campground in Bar Harbor

we stayed at Megunticook campground in Rockport and Mt Desert Narrows family campground in Bar harbor…the water at the Bar Harbor campground had a orange tinge at times so bring a couple extra water filters..they said it’s a harmless mineral in it …we didn’t drink it of course but we did use several inline filters

love to be able to spend summers in Maine and winters in Florida…Maryland has oppressive humidity

Danny very sorry to hear about you sons health issues
Old 08-29-2022, 01:59 PM   #20
gearhead

We were talking this morning…I told Betty that this prepping and unloading in 99F is killing me. Maybe we should just travel in the shoulder seasons. She is like OK but I don’t want to freeze like when we went to XXXXX.
So I’m thinking just leave late August and head Northeast. Assuming a destination of say Maine, how late is too late regarding cold temps?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote